Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Poor man's doesn't mean bad just not as good. As in Gunners Heaven is a poor man's Gunstar Heroes but I still love that game.

And I think it's a fair comparison since both are fairly similar. One however just serves as a means to link to the next action segment while the other is a nice bit of hard sci fi about what it means to be human.

As for his agenda, I don't know but you seem to have one as well. Leave it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Retr0gamer wrote:
    As for his agenda, I don't know but you seem to have one as well. Leave it out.

Is my agenda that I disagree with most of your posts?

Leave what out exactly?
    And is that retro poster speaking or a mod instruction?

If it's a mod instruction why?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Leave out the smart arse comments as it's only being antagonistic to get a response and adds nothing to the conversation.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Leave out the smart arse comments as it's only being antagonistic to get a response and adds nothing to the conversation.

Excuse me but where is the smart arse comments? you post a statement a poster replies to it, and you accuse him of having an agenda. I reply to the conversation agreeing with the other poster and then I have an agenda as well. So I'd say your the one being antagonistic here.

fact is I'm entitled to agree with a fellow poster that it's frustrating to see you constantly nitpick almost every modern release.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

:rolleyes:

Anyway, I've been really enjoying my time with this game. Finally got Corruption Arrows and watched a heard of Tramplers bate lumps off each other and wandered in to collect the loot. Tried to get 2 Thunderjaw's to scrap each other, but they wouldn't bite.

I think the thing that's surprised me most about this game is the Cauldrons. I finished my second one last night which was great, but they're a pretty good "set piece" area nested into an open world game and I think that's a big part of how well they seem to have perfected a genre that so many people are burnt out with because of lack-lustre yearly releases from Ubisoft (who have put all their eggs in the open-world basket). Also, the world seems huge, but it's really not and you're almost never looking for something top do. Haven't ventured up North yet (but I do have the DLC), so there's that to look forward to. Is that the sort of thing I can do before finishing up the main story or should I do it after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Shiminay wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've been really enjoying my time with this game. Finally got Corruption Arrows and watched a heard of Tramplers bate lumps off each other and wandered in to collect the loot. Tried to get 2 Thunderjaw's to scrap each other, but they wouldn't bite.

I think the thing that's surprised me most about this game is the Cauldrons. I finished my second one last night which was great, but they're a pretty good "set piece" area nested into an open world game and I think that's a big part of how well they seem to have perfected a genre that so many people are burnt out with because of lack-lustre yearly releases from Ubisoft (who have put all their eggs in the open-world basket). Also, the world seems huge, but it's really not and you're almost never looking for something top do. Haven't ventured up North yet (but I do have the DLC), so there's that to look forward to. Is that the sort of thing I can do before finishing up the main story or should I do it after?

I'd say leave it till after. Some of the new machines in it are tough as f*ck even compared to the toughest ones in the main game, and you'd get new armour and weapons in the DLC area that might make the end of the main story too easy.

Well, I just hit Level 40, have a bunch of purple weapons and armours and am currently trying to get top marks in the hunting lodge things. I'm *really* frustrated that all I can get is ballistic weapons and no spears from vendors.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Excuse me but where is the smart arse comments?
    Still at least you didn't try to ban him for it so that's an improvement.

No problem with your post except that. It's uncalled for and antagonistic so stop feigning innocence.
    fact is I'm entitled to agree with a fellow poster that it's frustrating to see you constantly nitpick almost every modern release.

Im also entitled to express my opinion and discuss a game. Just because a game is near and dear to you doesn't make it immune to criticism. There's mature ways of dealing with that criticism. Attackimg the person who made those remarks isn't one of them.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Well, I just hit Level 40, have a bunch of purple weapons and armours and am currently trying to get top marks in the hunting lodge things. I'm *really* frustrated that all I can get is ballistic weapons and no spears from vendors.

Yeah I think aside from adding mods to the spear, you can't buy any. You do get an upgraded one towards the end of the story (won't say how or why), but I think generally the reason you can't get new spears is just storyline purposes, with how you use the spear to override machines etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Syfy's Independents Day is a poor man's Independence Day. Unearthed is a poor man's Uncharted. Horizon: Zero Dawn does seem to take some inspiration from Panzer Dragoon Saga as many have suggested but to call it a poor man's version of PDS is to suggest a game thrown together without care to make money off another game's legacy and reputation. Something that's obviously not the case with Horizon: Zero Dawn. It's taken its inspirations and created an interesting new world with which to play in and a lot of thought has been put into making the gameplay interesting and the missions as varied as possible. Guerrilla Games could have just pumped out another perfunctory sequel to their existing Killzone franchise but choose instead to create something new - it might have nods to PDS but the world you move through in HZD feels fresh and interesting compared to some of the other franchises out there at the moment. The game isn't without its faults - Aloy could have been given more depth as a character and you can feel a little overpowered by the end - but that is vastly outweighed by what the game gets right. And Frozen Wilds DLC was a great addition to the game that upped the difficulty and kept you invested in the game.

I think to poo-poo it as a poor man's version of a game that came out twenty years ago and hardly anyone ever got to play is to do HZD a fairly big disservice.

• Advertisement

Well it was probably never going to match Panzer Dragoon Saga/Orta's writing but I think it's interesting that there are so many parallels with the post apocalyptic universe they both have. I wonder if there was influence there although it could just be an Armageddon/Deep Impact type coincidence, especially considering the game's obscurity.

Poor man's also doesn't mean it's bad, just not as good as the original comparison. I don't think Horizon's writing is particularly good but it doesn't get in the way of the game at least and keeps the action flowing from set piece to set piece which is all that's really required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Woo, leave the forums for the weekend and suddenly I have an underlying agenda.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Stop putting words in my mouth to suit your own petty agenda please. What I said has nothing to do with how good or bad the game is.

What words have I put in your mouth exactly? "Poor man's" implies it is an inferior (bad) retelling.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »

Accusing me and JCD of having some fictional agenda against you could be considered antagonistic in itself. I don't believe I have responded to every one/any of your previous posts comparing the latest games with those of the 80's/90's, so this one response does not imply an agenda.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Im also entitled to express my opinion and discuss a game. Just because a game is near and dear to you doesn't make it immune to criticism. There's mature ways of dealing with that criticism. Attackimg the person who made those remarks isn't one of them.

Of course you are, as for mature way to deal with criticism maybe not accusing people of having agendas would be a good place to start.

Anyway back to topic at hand, now that I'm nearly done with God of war, I reckon its time to go back to the DLC for horizon, I remember starting a new game plus on ultra hard after beating the story, so do I have to do DLC on ultra hard now as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I loved HZD but struggled to do a second play through. I need to do the DLC and platinum it but haven't the will to do it for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I loved HZD but struggled to do a second play through. I need to do the DLC and platinum it but haven't the will to do it for some reason.

Frozen Wilds is a good addition to it. Adds more backstory to a certain character and leaves it open for the (potential) sequel.

The only game I have contemplated playing through again recently would be TLOU. Played it on PS3, and would like to see what i looks like on the PS4.

As for platinum's, if it happens organically great. For the likes of HZD/GoW/FarCry, I always start the play through with the intention of getting every collectable along the way, but usually lose interest in that endeavour half way through. Just end up playing the game and enjoying the story for what it is.

yeah I'm the same with platinums, if it happens it happens but rarely go out of my way for it. Would have loved TLOU platinium (you should definitely play it on the PS4) but one of the MP trophies annoyed the bejaysus out of me and I gave up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I very rarely platinum a game but did for this because I really enjoyed the story behind it and the extra detail you got from the little things. The only thing I felt was a bit of a chore was some of the hunting grounds but as I had everything else and was so close to getting the platinum I forced myself to do them.

anytime I hear the words "hunting grounds trials" I get immediately irate and then remember why

I never found the hunting trials too bad. Once you knew the technique for each enemy type, some were almost enjoyable.

ah yeah some of them though...... there was one I was doing out in the plains around some giant buffalo things, of course the glint hawks had to get involved. It was bedlam.

• Advertisement

Yeah the only really troublesome one I found was the Glinthawks one, though they're generally a pain in the hole anyway. The other hunting grounds, I generally just found run & gun was the only way to do them. Just run in, use lots of bombs, and run back out. Same with the one where you have to loot stuff the shellwalkers are protecting, run in and just get the stuff, then run back out. No time for proper tactics when going for the gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

€20 on the Playstation store couldn't pass it up. Hope its good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

gimli2112 wrote: »
    yeah I'm the same with platinums, if it happens it happens but rarely go out of my way for it. Would have loved TLOU platinium (you should definitely play it on the PS4) but one of the MP trophies annoyed the bejaysus out of me and I gave up on it.

What was TLOU MP trophy?

What was TLOU MP trophy?

It's years since I attempted it. It was something around keeping survivors alive. As you progressed you had a group of survivors that you could see after the game, little dots in a kind of circle. You had to do certain things within a time period, get x number of kills, get x number of headshots....
    You had to get a certain number of them through to the end of the season.

They could get sick, starve or just die depending on your actions
    I had the required number but near the end of a season I was one kill short, shot a guy with the time ticking down but he went into something like last stand. My aim turned to crap and the game ended. All my survivors died, which put you back at the beginning.

I have experienced rage before and after but certainly nothing like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I bought this when I got the PS4, but didn't really gel with me. I found the aiming controls awkward, and enemies could swarm you too easily. I guess I was expecting something like Batman or Shadow of Mordor in terms of fighting. Anyways, I kinda dropped it, but I had to do a late shift last night, and needed to keep awake so I launched it for the first time in a few weeks. I was enjoying the story, so I just knocked the difficulty down to Story mode. It's way easier, but I'm getting through it, and I really do like the story so far. I don't have an awful lot of time where I can devote to extended gaming sessions, so being able to breeze through it is very handy. It's an absolutely stunning game though. The graphics and environments are amazing looking.

I just finished the main story mission and have started into the Frozen Wilds. Enjoyed pretty much every minute of it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

Does this game take a while to get into? I only ever completed GtaV, TLOU and U4 so I'm still a good bit of a noob.

I got the game 6 months ago and only played for about 45 mins but I dunno it wasn't for me. Did it take you long to get into properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

CWF wrote: »
    Does this game take a while to get into? I only ever completed GtaV, TLOU and U4 so I'm still a good bit of a noob.

I got the game 6 months ago and only played for about 45 mins but I dunno it wasn't for me. Did it take your a while to get into properly?

Took me at least 6-8 hours to get into. I was just after finishing the main campaign for Witcher 3 so I was comparing it unfavourably to that. I'm glad I stuck it out though, once you start to get levelled up a bit, the combat really comes into it's own and when you start to take down the bigger creatures it is really enjoyable. Bought the Frozen Wilds DLC as soon as I finished the campaign and got stuck straight into it which is something I would rarely do.

I got the game 6 months ago and only played for about 45 mins but I dunno it wasn't for me. Did it take you long to get into properly?

Yeah the first few hours are definitely slow in order to set up the story, setting and general combat. Same as most games, even GTAV, where the first few hours are simple enough missions to get you used to the combat, controls, gameplay etc.

But once you stick with it, the game map opens up, you come up against far more powerful and dangerous enemies and get loads of new weapons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

I got the game 6 months ago and only played for about 45 mins but I dunno it wasn't for me. Did it take your a while to get into properly?

Took me at least 6-8 hours to get into. I was just after finishing the main campaign for Witcher 3 so I was comparing it unfavourably to that. I'm glad I stuck it out though, once you start to get levelled up a bit, the combat really comes into it's own and when you start to take down the bigger creatures it is really enjoyable. Bought the Frozen Wilds DLC as soon as I finished the campaign and got stuck straight into it which is something I would rarely do.
    Brilliant, thanks dude. I'll go for it so

Advertisement