Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

Penn wrote: »
    CWF wrote: »
    Does this game take a while to get into? I only ever completed GtaV, TLOU and U4 so I'm still a good bit of a noob.

I got the game 6 months ago and only played for about 45 mins but I dunno it wasn't for me. Did it take you long to get into properly?

Yeah the first few hours are definitely slow in order to set up the story, setting and general combat. Same as most games, even GTAV, where the first few hours are simple enough missions to get you used to the combat, controls, gameplay etc.

But once you stick with it, the game map opens up, you come up against far more powerful and dangerous enemies and get loads of new weapons.

Yeah that makes sense, just needed that reaffirmation. Thanks dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah that makes sense, just needed that reaffirmation. Thanks dude!

Enjoy! It's a fantastic game. It doesn't do anything particularly mind-blowing or uniquely spectacular, but everything it does, it does insanely well. The combat is great fun throughout. The story and lore is basic, but still very interesting and well presented, and a lot deeper than it seems on the surface. And the game is just a feast for the eyes throughout.

Do people recommend to play on story mode or a little harder than that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Do people recommend to play on story mode or a little harder than that?

Whatever is comfortable for you, I played it on easy as I wanted to enjoy the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Just started this yesterday and like above finding it hard to get into it yet.

Will give it time because I remember playing The Witcher 3 for 10 hours and couldn't understand the hype behind it. Ended up putting over 120 hours into that when it finally hooked me.

• Advertisement

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Just started this yesterday and like above finding it hard to get into it yet.

Will give it time because I remember playing The Witcher 3 for 10 hours and couldn't understand the hype behind it. Ended up putting over 120 hours into that when it finally hooked me.

Yeah same here. I know I will like it once I get the hang of it, how to kill the things properly etc. just taking a bit longer than it usually does for me to get immersed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

there's a couple of skills you should unlock as early as you can. I'm sure there's one along the lines of a stealth kill and the other is a whistle.
    easy mode engaged at least for the smaller machines. I spent ages at the start hiding in tall grass.

Has anyone completed the dlc? Just wondering if I should start it before I finish the main storyline or does it make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Has anyone completed the dlc? Just wondering if I should start it before I finish the main storyline or does it make a difference.

Sorry havent played the dlc yet but just curious how you got on with the game. You mentioned before that you were finding it difficult to get into. Just being nosey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Probably best to finish the main story. The DLC technically takes place storywise before the final mission, but there's very little connection between them. The main thing is the difficulty spike. You'll face harder enemies and get more powerful weapons in the dlc which would then make the final story mission too easy

• Advertisement

weiland79 wrote: »
    Sorry havent played the dlc yet but just curious how you got on with the game. You mentioned before that you were finding it difficult to get into. Just being nosey :)

Loving it! If you haven't played it, pick it up. The gameplay is definitely what has me hooked. All the different ways to approach a battle with the various weapons and skills. The main storyline is excellent and some of the side missions are good too.

I've over 40 hours in it now and I'm level 37. So I think I'm approaching the last few main missions but will definitely go for the platinum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Doesnt make a bit of difference buddy, if i was doing it again. Id do the dlc first but thats just me

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

There are some minor differences in dialogue depending on when you play and it only concerns one character, as far as I remember.

Completed the main storyline and went straight into the DLC. I wasn't expecting that increase in difficulty at all, the first machine I encountered took about half the health potions I had in my inventory that I hadn't touched in about 10 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wish I had a game like this to play again, you dont realize how spoiled you are when you have a H:ZD or Breath of the Wild or God of War on the go until its over :(

How about witcher 3?

How about witcher 3?
    Played at launch, probably the best thing Ive ever played, Cyberpunk is about the only game Im excited about atm, and Elder Scrolls VI whenever that comes I suppose.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thargor wrote: »
    Played at launch, probably the best thing Ive ever played, Cyberpunk is about the only game Im excited about atm, and Elder Scrolls VI whenever that comes I suppose.

Red dead 2 or the new assassins creed maybe?

Red dead 2 or the new assassins creed maybe?
    Yeah Ill give Red Dead a go, I was never too obsessed with the previous one like other people were though, I was a bit bored by the end. Assassins Creed is cancer and can go die in a fire with the Far Cry franchise :D

Assassins Creed is cancer

Don't knock the new one till you try it ;), sounds good.

• Advertisement

Yeah Ill give Red Dead a go, I was never too obsessed with the previous one like other people were though, I was a bit bored by the end. Assassins Creed is cancer and can go die in a fire with the Far Cry franchise :D

What's wrong with Far cry, never played it but was condering it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What's wrong with Far cry, never played it but was condering it

There's nothing wrong with Far Cry per se, but their yearly releases became tiresome. They just felt like re-skins, and got monotonous after a while. If you're going to play any of them, I recommend Far Cry 3. The best in the series imo, and especially so if you get it with the Blood Dragon DLC, best DLC i've played in quite a while (aside from The Witcher 3 of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Yeah Far Cry is very samey. I loved Far Cry 3 but each instalment a little less although at least I completed 5. 4 is fine and I found myself going back to it time and time again, thinking why did I ever put this down and putting it down a few hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

Wish I had a game like this to play again, you dont realize how spoiled you are when you have a H:ZD or Breath of the Wild or God of War on the go until its over :(

Have you played Witcher 3 or Bloodborne. Not having played those games would be my idea of being spoiled . The 2 best games on the PS4 in my opinion

Yeah Ive played them and loved them, Ive played everything pretty much, AAA titles anyway, thats why Im complaining about there being a drought. I was always pc masterrace but the PS4 has been absolutely killing it this generation, cant wait to see what Horizon 2 is like. Actually its amazing to think games like Bloodborne, Horizon, God of War and a few others will probably turn into franchises with regular sequels now.

Yeah Ive played them and loved them, Ive played everything pretty much, AAA titles anyway, thats why Im complaining about there being a drought. I was always pc masterrace but the PS4 has been absolutely killing it this generation, cant wait to see what Horizon 2 is like. Actually its amazing to think games like Bloodborne, Horizon, God of War and a few others will probably turn into franchises with regular sequels now.

I believe God of War is a planned trilogy, but hints at potential future locations (Celtic, Japanese, Greek and Norse symbols on one of the paintings you find). Similarly, I reckon they've 2 more Horizon games at least (gaming likes 3, except Valve). Don't like Bloodborne, so couldn't care less about it.

But, there is a slew of games coming that should keep you going for a good while, massive games like AC:Odyssey, RDR2, Spyro Trilogy, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima (my most anticipated release), Darksiders 3, CoD and BF if you're into them, Fallout 76, Just Cause 4... I believe they're all out before the new year!

Is it confirmed there making more horizon games?

No confirmation, but it was the most successful new first-party franchise, and a commercial success, plus they left us on a cliffhanger I believe (haven't played Frozen Wilds yet). They'd be mad not to! I'd say it's a guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Is it confirmed there making more horizon games?

After the sales it had they ain't going to be going back making bloody Killzone next.
    I assume most first party don't studios have begun working on games aimed for the PS5 now too.

• Advertisement

Multi-year roadmap apparently, there is not a chance in hell of there never being a H:ZD 2 imo, Id bet the farm on it:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/06/18/horizon-zero-dawn-sony-major-franchise-years-of-content-planned/

Although without the excellent backstory of the disaster to discover would it be as good an experience?

Advertisement