Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Installed and ready to play as soon as school run is over I am locked away and ready to wock n woll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭eggy81

Will the game perform much differently on pro v original ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

eggy81 wrote: »
    Will the game perform much differently on pro v original ps4

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-horizon-zero-dawn-ps4-pro-performance-analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Anyone playing this yet?

My Amazon prime delivery has been with parcel motel since this morning. I'm guessing its on the way to the Dublin depot and will be delivered tonight.

Have the next two days off work also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

You guys know that if you buy digital it is cheaper and you get it bang on midnight right :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Anyone playing this yet?

Been playing for the past 2 hours and really enjoying it. The game looks stunning, jealous of those with 4K and PS4 Pro but good ole 1080p is doing a grand job too.

Story line is really interesting so far but still haven't a notion what's going on.

Have seen a few hiccups with graphics/fps in cutscenes and gameplay but tiny negligible things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

You guys know that if you buy digital it is cheaper and you get it bang on midnight right :)

how do you mean cheaper I paid 52 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

This is a game that didn't really interest but I watched Boogie play it earlier on YouTube and I'm interested now.

Game looked great but the character interactions seemed a little strange when speaking to each other. Anyone who's actually played notice anything like this? I don't think it'd turn me off buying but it could take you out of the story a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Played it last night, graphics is shockingly perfect, it is "Last of Us for PS3" in a way, but gameplay is a bit strange, I can smell Witcher 3 in it from time to time, so IMHO, from 1 to 10 on PS4 Pro:

Graphics: 10+
    Design: 10
    Gameplay: 6
    Storyline: 6

Same thing for Last of Us on PS4 I'd give:
    Graphics: 8 (would be 10 on PS3)
    Design: 10
    Gameplay: 9
    Storyline: 10

Its a great game overall and a huge jump in quality, it is using PS4 Pro abilities best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

emmetkenny wrote: »
    This is a game that didn't really interest but I watched Boogie play it earlier on YouTube and I'm interested now.

Game looked great but the character interactions seemed a little strange when speaking to each other. Anyone who's actually played notice anything like this? I don't think it'd turn me off buying but it could take you out of the story a little.

Yeah there's some severe 'Jason Brady' syndrome going on with the protagonist spewing out statements of the obvious and the script is terrible so sounds a bit awkward despite the voice talent, there's only so much you can do with a bad script.

Looks gorgeous though other than the weak water effects, a massive improvement over the boring Killzone games and loads of colour. Combat is fun and a lot more solid than most other open world games. Still a bit formulaic though in terms of quests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah there's some severe 'Jason Brady' syndrome going on with the protagonist spewing out statements of the obvious and the script is terrible so sounds a bit awkward despite the voice talent, there's only so much you can do with a bad script.

Looks gorgeous though other than the weak water effects, a massive improvement over the boring Killzone games and loads of colour. Combat is fun and a lot more solid than most other open world games. Still a bit formulaic though in terms of quests.

Cheers. Think I'll hold off for a while so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Cheers. Think I'll hold off for a while so.

Don't mind me, I'm biased against open world games. The story is garbage but the actual gameplay is a lot better than most run of the mill open world games. It's polished even if it manages to not have an original bone in it's body outside of robo dinosaurs but what it does do it does well.

I absolutely love it, Its the 1st time I would love to have a PS4 Pro and 4K TV. Really cant remember a game looking so well, its very polished and no bugs encountered so far. I am playing it on the hardest difficulty and the combat is brilliant and very fluid.

I love the animals I really do its like Jurrasic Park meets Avatar....whats not to love. Story has been pretty good so far to boot.....

For anyone looking to get the DLC weapons and outfit, you need to obviously redeem them in PSN and then go any trader (one at the very start) and cash in the tokens you have for the bow and outfit then equip them.

Hmmm this and the thread in Bargain Alerts might have tipped me over the edge for getting a ps4 finally. Reservation has been made for pick up tomorrow, my xbox is in the corner sobbing uncontrollably :(

Hmmm this and the thread in Bargain Alerts might have tipped me over the edge for getting a ps4 finally. Reservation has been made for pick up tomorrow, my xbox is in the corner sobbing uncontrollably :(

They'll think you are strange going in to pick up a PS4 on Switch launch day ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

If Far Cry and Tomb Raider had a baby...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Fun Game, liking it alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It's alright, not blowing me away yet. It's been done many times before, nothing new or groundbreaking. Good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

booterboy wrote: »
    @cina Sold my launch ps4 for €230 in November and bought the Pro,best €170 i have spent in over 35 years of gaming.

Without getting into a big debate, there are no huge differences yet in Pro and Standard PS4....well maybe this game.

Boost mode hasn't lived up to the hype...and barely boosts most games.
    The FF15 patch does nothing...in fact makes it worse than the standard PS4

*I have a PS4 Pro and a 4k TV*

As of yet it's not that much better than a standard PS4...and definitely NOWHERE near the best money I've ever spent on a machine.
    PS2, Xbox 360 and early PC's come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Only a little bit into the game, haven't even completed the first big main quest as I farted around with every side mission I could find - but first impressions are good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Without getting into a big debate, there are no huge differences yet in Pro and Standard PS4....well maybe this game.

Boost mode hasn't lived up to the hype...and barely boosts most games.
    The FF15 patch does nothing...in fact makes it worse than the standard PS4

*I have a PS4 Pro and a 4k TV*

As of yet it's not that much better than a standard PS4...and definitely NOWHERE near the best money I've ever spent on a machine.
    PS2, Xbox 360 and early PC's come to mind.

Maybe not a huge difference but there is definitely a tangible difference for me. I sold my launch day ps4 and bought Ps4 Pro on launch day and i'm very happy with my decision (and i'm not even gaming on 4k screen)

Just left the 1st "Training Area" if you will and I am level 10......guys for anyone playing this grind out the "TINKER" skill in the 2nd last row at bottom. Best perk in the game....TRUST ME!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm playing on a 4K HDR tv on PS4 Pro, and this is the most visually stunning game I've ever played. It's genuinely amazing. Obviously, I don't know what it looks like at 1080p on a non-4k HDR tv, so I don't know how much of a leap there is between the PS4 and the Pro, but my god... this game is absolutely beautiful.

Gameplay-wise, only played for about 2 hours last night, but enjoying it a lot so far. The combat is very fluid, collecting resources doesn't feel like a chore, movement is great. The story is definitely more intriguing than I thought it would be (though I'm still in the early stages). Really enjoying the game so far, and definitely one I'm going to try and platinum.

One tip I heard from elsewhere before I started playing, switch the HUD to Dynamic. Supposed to be much better, as items on the HUD only show when you need them rather than being on all the time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Penn wrote: »
    I'm playing on a 4K HDR tv on PS4 Pro, and this is the most visually stunning game I've ever played. It's genuinely amazing. Obviously, I don't know what it looks like at 1080p on a non-4k HDR tv, so I don't know how much of a leap there is between the PS4 and the Pro, but my god... this game is absolutely beautiful.

Gameplay-wise, only played for about 2 hours last night, but enjoying it a lot so far. The combat is very fluid, collecting resources doesn't feel like a chore, movement is great. The story is definitely more intriguing than I thought it would be (though I'm still in the early stages). Really enjoying the game so far, and definitely one I'm going to try and platinum.

One tip I heard from elsewhere before I started playing, switch the HUD to Dynamic. Supposed to be much better, as items on the HUD only show when you need them rather than being on all the time.

I'll be going for the plat as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

maximoose wrote: »
    Only a little bit into the game, haven't even completed the first big main quest as I farted around with every side mission I could find - but first impressions are good.

Well worth farting around. Some of the side stuff is very generous with xp.

Game is getting better all the time, story is alot stronger then I taught. I absolutely love discovering new animals for the 1st time and the way each one has different strengths and weaknesses.

Never gets old killing with a silent strike.

I am doing everything bar the story missions unless absolutely nothing left, just discovered my 1st "Longneck" and it was uber fun climbing it. Currently level 16 and after that Sona sort who pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Started this up today and really enjoyed the 6 or so hours I put in. Time flew by so fast I didn't even realise I'd not eaten :p Not really doing much side-questy stuff, mainly main missions and ones I stumble upon. The world map is huge too. I wasn't expecting that myself. Only done about 6 main quests so far in those 6 hours too... Looks stunning in 1080p, can't imagine what the PS4Pro looks like.

On a side note, does anyone else think Karst looks like Thoros of Myr from GOT? A bit Ben Kingsley from IM3 too.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Game is getting better all the time, story is alot stronger then I taught. I absolutely love discovering new animals for the 1st time and the way each one has different strengths and weaknesses.

Never gets old killing with a silent strike.

I am doing everything bar the story missions unless absolutely nothing left, just discovered my 1st "Longneck" and it was uber fun climbing it. Currently level 16 and after that Sona sort who pissed off.

Have you done Cauldrons? Much more fun to override machines than silently kill them.

I'm kinda trying to ignore dialogs to enjoy the game, they are a bit weird, childish maybe it by design or maybe just a bad script as suggested above.

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Have you done Cauldrons? Much more fun to override machines than silently kill them.

I'm kinda trying to ignore dialogs to enjoy the game, they are a bit weird, childish maybe it by design or maybe just a bad script as suggested above.

I just unlocked the override option but you miss out far too much on stuff when riding around instead of on foot.

Cauldrons??

Whats that pre tell?

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I just unlocked the override option but you miss out far too much on stuff when riding around instead of on foot.

Cauldrons??

Whats that pre tell?

You don't have to ride, you can just create yourself allies and get them to fight for you, while they busy fighting each other you can crawl from behind and stealth-kill busy machine :)

Cauldrons are like "instances-dungeon" in WOW, you get there rare loot and unlock more machines you can override, check out quest in Mother's Crown to unlock first one.

Advertisement