Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WTF with Marc Maron

• 18-06-2015 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

On hearing that Barack Obama is going to make an appearance on the show, I felt like asking what are people's views on this show? I'd imagine a lot of you listen to it, most people I know don't listen to any form of Podcast, but those who do tend to be familiar with Marc. It's definitely one of the biggest shows out there in podworld.

Personally, I think the show is very hit and miss. Like a lot of interview based pods the quality of the guests is really what makes and breaks each episode. He gets high quality star power on there fairly often, in fairness, particularly in the last few years.

Sometimes though I can't get beyond Marc himself. I routinely skip over his monologue at the start. For a comedian, I don't think he's particularly funny, and his observations about life don't really do a lot for me. I could see how some people might enjoy the fact that he tends to be very up-front about what's going on in his life, good and bad. His honesty is somewhat endearing and commendable, just maybe not all that entertaining.

He has a few characteristics in his interview style that can be a bit maddening. Firstly - if the guest talks about drugs, he'll get really wrapped up in that part of the conversation, revisiting his own days of being strung out etc, kind of interesting at first, but tiresome after a while. Secondly - If dealing with celebrities or other comics, particularly those bigger than himself, he's like putty in their hands, dropping names and wanting to know about other famous people. He can really suck up to some comedians. His interview with Will Farrell was particularly redundant. Farrell kept him at arms length the whole time, never really talking about himself and was content to just mug his way through the interview, with Marc in stitches.

Having said all that, when it's good it can be great. He's had some amazing interviews down through the years. His two-parter with Louis CK, back a few years ago, was really fascinating and very real. The two were really close in the past, but had lost touch/fallen out and to hear the two of them talk so honestly, about all the water under the bridge, is probably the best single podcast episode I've ever heard. He also had a recent one with Paul Thomas Anderson, in which he got more out of him about his films than any interview or think-piece on the man that I'd ever read. If the guest is open and willing to talk, he can draw some gold out of the conversation. So on the right day with the right guest, he can seriously deliver.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I know people love how real it gets in terms of him opening up about himself but I just don't find his back-story that interesting for a comedian and his comedy doesn't make up for that IMO. Something something privileged Jewish background something something Angry Marc Story from 20 years ago in some random comedy club etc. Same for Joe Rogan where you hear the same stuff repeated 1000x.

That said when he gets a guest I like/topic he can sink his teeth into like Mencia/Dane Cooke stealing jokes it's really good. I really don't care for his music guests but when he gets actors/comedians you can respect he knows what he's on about and can go deep into guest's personal demons from that respect.

Agree that it's hit and miss. When it misses it's meh but when it's good it's gripping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I listen to him, but have grown a bit bored of his approach.

Most interviews tend to follow the same format, and he seeks out talking points like the importance of religion and mental strife.

Then again, Joe Rogan seems to constantly want to drag the conversation back to MMA regardless of the topic so I guess an interviewer knows what he knows.

I listened to the recent Haley Joel Osment show, and felt Maron pretty much called it in. I thought the kid would've given much more and it could've been a good piece.

Anyway, I'll listen to the Obama show next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah, definitely hit and miss.

He can be a very good interviewer on his day, and that's totally dependent on what dynamic he has with the guest. I heard about the Carlos Menica/Dane Cook interviews and that got me interested in the first place. As previously mentioned the Louis CK interview and PTA is fascinating. I'd add the Robin Williams episode to that. For me, that's his strongest episode as an interviewer - the Louis CK episode is a different beast as it depends on his friendship dynamic with Louis.

The episode that really put me off was the Ben Stiller episode. I expected Marc to get stuck in, and I expected Stiller to open up. Neither happened.

He has unique access to the American comedy scene. Some interviews suffer as a result because he gets caught up in nostalgia/drug stories. He talks a lot about comedians, and what drives them - it can be very revealing at times where someone like Robin Williams actually opens up. There's a bit at the end of that episode which in hindsight is very sad. I'd never before seen Robin Williams be that open and honest, and I think that's what Maron brought out of him.

He did the same when he interviewed John Darnielle from the Mountain Goats.

Sadly, he's also a bit of a shill, and goes through the motions on a lot of episodes. I'll only listen if its someone I know and find interesting, or if I hear about the episode through word of mouth.

When he started, his selling point was the authenticity of his interviewers. I think this caught on, both he and his guest realised that this could be gamed - some of the interviews are softball interviews where the guests want to present themselves a certain way (Dane Cook to an extent - although to a certain extent Maron called him on that), or up-and-commers trying to get their name out there where Maron himself doesn't care, and is going through the motions.

I can never quite get past him and his voice… Too much of the same old 'all about Marc Maron and drug addled past' theme over and over.
    Flashes of greatness with the odd interviewee (Louis CK and Allie Brosh in particular) but for me, life too short for his self indulgence...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I've listened to a few episode and I don't like it.

I don't like Maron's style of interview or his obsession with himself.

In the past, I've liked him on Doug Loves Movies, Comedy Bang Bang and Jordan Jesse Go so he can be funny. Just not in the role of interviewer.

• Advertisement

Just listening to the Obama interview now: Barak calls him narcissistic within the first 5 minutes, Kind of the best bit so far.

So far it not great really - bit of a game being played... Not a lot of humour in ole Barak really but in fairness I suppose 7 years in The House would dry out anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I know people love how real it gets in terms of him opening up about himself but I just don't find his back-story that interesting for a comedian and his comedy doesn't make up for that IMO. Something something privileged Jewish background something something Angry Marc Story from 20 years ago in some random comedy club etc. Same for Joe Rogan where you hear the same stuff repeated 1000x.

This is a damningly accurate synopsis! It's weird how Americans in general are so forthcoming with personal & medical information. Like I don't get how people can vlog from their hospital room with the birth of their new child either, it feels wrong, like I shouldn't be privy to it. Maybe it's a form of therapy for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭steve_r

Listened to the Obama episode. Marc does his best but it's clear Obama wasn't going to open up that easy.

It's still worth a listen - but there's no "moment". The extended nature of the interview means Obama is talking in real terms, not soundbites and Maron does make it more conversational.

There seems to be a "reaction podcast" which is longer than the actual interview up online now! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I've listened to a few episode and I don't like it.

I don't like Maron's style of interview or his obsession with himself.

In the past, I've liked him on Doug Loves Movies, Comedy Bang Bang and Jordan Jesse Go so he can be funny. Just not in the role of interviewer.

Jaysus never listen to Pete Holmes You Made It Weird if you don't like narcissistic hosts ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I dip in and out every couple of weeks with wtf because a fair amount of guests he has on would be of interest to me from the comedians he has on to the litany of alternative musicians that have agreed to appear on his show that I don't think I've heard anywhere else - something I'll caution people about before recommending the podcast - considering how long I've been listening to his music, I was genuinely surprised by how annoying Stephen Malkmaus' voice was. It's generally a background thing in work so I tend to zone in and out so if an interview dips for me, it's not a big issue. I know his monologues can be a bit of a bugbear for people but I've never had a problem with them and he's pretty honest about his own failings. I thought the 500th episode was interesting in that he had interviews with different people who had fallen out with him and it was good to see the different perspectives they had on him and how he dealt with it. Also, the phone call with the end, while kind of voyeuristic, was very cathartic in terms of the relationship he had detailed with him up to that point and the fact they hadn't talked in a long time. And as has been mentioned already, the Allie Brosh and Louis CK interviews were particular highlights. It's not always successful but it definitely has enough going for it for me to keep going back to it.

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Jaysus never listen to Pete Holmes You Made It Weird if you don't like narcissistic hosts ha

Pete's a sweet-heart, I listened to him for a couple of years. Infinitely more listenable that Maron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Ah I like Pete too, but he is extremely narcissistic, he admits it himself
    YMIW has some great interviews though, his two with Bo Burham, and ones with David O'Doherty, Hannibal Burres and Moshe Kasher are ones I relisten too on long journeys cause they still make me laugh

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Ah I like Pete too, but he is extremely narcissistic, he admits it himself
    YMIW has some great interviews though, his two with Bo Burham, and ones with David O'Doherty, Hannibal Burres and Moshe Kasher are ones I relisten too on long journeys cause they still make me laugh

DOD talking about "The Horn"?

Advertisement