Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army pants

Options
  • 18-06-2015 5:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I could pick up a cheap pair of these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

Barracks in Renmore. Just wait until they hang them out to dry on the line. Should be plenty of opportunity as long as the weather stays as it is. now.

tmh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

There used to be an army surplus shop half way up shop street (down a little side alley). Hope it's still there. If you are standing with Boots and Easons on your left side it is a few metres up the road (ie walking to BTs) on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

There used to be an army surplus shop half way up shop street (down a little side alley). Hope it's still there. If you are standing with Boots and Easons on your left side it is a few metres up the road (ie walking to BTs) on the left.

I think that has closed.

Aw, did the army & navy store down by G's (formerly Metalworks, probably formerly something else!) close? I was in there a good few times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Army navy shop is gone years at this point. Real pity.. I tend to drop into army navy shops in England now when I'm over.. Few of them do good prices delivered too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

tmh106 wrote: »
    Barracks in Renmore. Just wait until they hang them out to dry on the line. Should be plenty of opportunity as long as the weather stays as it is. now.

tmh

Bear in mind however that, regardless how it was obtained, it is an offence for unauthorised persons to wear Irish Defence Forces issue clothing if not on duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Bear in mind however that, regardless how it was obtained, it is an offence for unauthorised persons to wear Irish Defence Forces issue clothing if not on duty.

What law specifically is it an offence under ? What about unauthorised persons wearing them when they're on duty ? .:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why would you wants army pants, it's not like anyone will see them underneath your trousers anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭galwayredgirl

A fashion offence :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭chakademus

A fashion offence :D

Zing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Long Gone wrote: »
    What law specifically is it an offence under ? What about unauthorised persons wearing them when they're on duty ? .:confused:

Hmm usually if someone is on duty then they are authorised to be in uniform but the nature of the uniform worn will specified.

Long story short, even if you are in the defence forces, you must be properly dressed e.g. fully in uniform or else in civvies. You can't be partially in uniform. Also wearing your uniform outside barracks would be deemed unusual unless you are on duty or on your way to or from a duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

biko wrote: »
    Why would you wants army pants, it's not like anyone will see them underneath your trousers anyway.

Pants meaning underpants was only an English or UK thing, I thought?

I'm not trying to be funny or pedantic, just interested if the meaning is changing here.

I've certainly heard people referring to pants (even more interestingly, "pantses", as is "there are no nice pantses in the shops at the moment" or "Penney's have no good pantses lately") in Galway to mean trousers. :pac:

(sorry; I realise that this is way OT)

Advertisement