Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing uPVC door handle & lock

Options
  • 18-06-2015 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi, we had a PVC front door with a lever handle on the inside and a rounded handle on the outside that you have to lift upwards to be able to lock with the key.

We've since added on a porch so now have an external front door and don't really need the inside door lock.

Also the toddler has taken to pushing the inside door shut so unless we have the key on us, we can be locked out in the porch!

Is there anyway to change the handle so that it works more like an interior door lever handle and we could still open the door from the front without needing the key? Or does anyone have any other solution ..

thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm sorry but I don't know how to do this, but it can be done. I'd look up a YouTube video. Any time I need to flute around with a door I YouTube it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

You need a new set of handles and the bar to join them together through the lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kinnikinnik5

Stoner wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I don't know how to do this, but it can be done. I'd look up a YouTube video. Any time I need to flute around with a door I YouTube it.

Thanks, I'm having difficulty locating a video about this precise situation though. They seem to be all showing you how to replace and fix handles whereas I'm more trying to disable the locking mechanism!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kinnikinnik5

You need a new set of handles and the bar to join them together through the lock.

What type of handles though will prevent it from locking outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

What type of handles though will prevent it from locking outside?

The way it works at the minute is its got two seperate bars going to the locking mechanism one from either handle.

One bar will open the door fully which is the inner handle but the other one goes to a different part of the lock mechanism thats called the pad.

What you need is a set of handles and a long bar going through the lock between the two handles if you unscrew the handles you will see what i mean.

• Advertisement
Advertisement