Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boundary Extension for City?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I agree that larger entities than counties would be a good idea for various reasons, including cost savings.

I think the cost savings is the least important of the reasons. A region under one authority can have a single coherent plan and plot a sensible way forward. It could have a single major, urban centre (and it seems like that should be Waterford) that would provide excellent jobs, services, education opportunities for the people of the region, and its economy would grow significantly as a result. If the regional structure isn't accepted, then that won't happen as each county vies to do its own thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Essentially what is being proposed in the last few posts is the elimination of all administrative county boundaries, and the establishment of new regional boundaries for the purposes of regional development and administration.
    In such a scenario country boundaries would be ignored.
    Parts of a county could be in three different regions.
    That would make no difference to residents 'county identity', only that some would be in different administrative regions.

In truth I think it would be a good thing but highly unlikely to ever materialise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Teebor15

What ye are saying lads makes perfect sense, Counties are too small so create regions with a 'Capital' driving it on. But as we know Ireland is far to parochial and tribal to go for that. Even if you said let the county boundarys remain for the GAA it would just lead to internal regional conflict with one county in a region claiming they get nothing compared to the others. In other words the same as we have now just on a smaller scale. If you could cut out the 'GAA' element it would work great i'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Essentially what is being proposed in the last few posts is the elimination of all administrative county boundaries, and the establishment of new regional boundaries for the purposes of regional development and administration.
    In such a scenario country boundaries would be ignored.
    Parts of a county could be in three different regions.
    That would make no difference to residents 'county identity', only that some would be in different administrative regions.

In truth I think it would be a good thing but highly unlikely to ever materialise.

With Kilkenny as the Capital ...........

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »

There's an argument for it. It's a weak one though. It would be like saying Ennis, Nenagh or Newcastle West should be the 'capital' of the Midwest instead of Limerick City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

greenspurs wrote: »

No 'capital' needed ..... just administration for an area, and those administrative offices would not need to be in any particular location.

So they could be in Kilkenny, Wexford, Clonmel, Dungarven or any other place in the region.

What would be required would be professionals with the power to implement whatever plans were decided for the region ....... without any consideration of county/city/town loyalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭azimuth17

This is the everything everywhere argument that has failed the south east for decades. We ended up with the worst economy in the state post crash and that was across ALL counties Some people post don't want a region at all(because it might be Waterford?) some suggest Kilkenny (Athlone is the centre of Ireland argument?).
    The reality is that regions with a strong centre do well. I believe that Waterford with support from Kilkenny and Wexford and especially the former could fulfill that role for the betterment of the region which I believe in. S others can work theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I am personally quite irate over the whole issue. Mary Butler was elected by Waterford to further the interests of Waterford people, but once she's in power decides she will support Micky Martins stance on the issue. Because Micky Martin know's the issues affecting people in the region ????.

I heard Bobby Alywards rediculous response to the the independent reports recommendations. His emotive and and lackluster response was rather embarrasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

azimuth17 wrote: »
    This is the everything everywhere argument that has failed the south east for decades. We ended up with the worst economy in the state post crash and that was across ALL counties Some people post don't want a region at all(because it might be Waterford?) some suggest Kilkenny (Athlone is the centre of Ireland argument?).
    The reality is that regions with a strong centre do well. I believe that Waterford with support from Kilkenny and Wexford and especially the former could fulfill that role for the betterment of the region which I believe in. S others can work theirs.
    Oh Dear! Has the "Kilkenny is the centre of the region" thing come up? It isn't. Most of the main population centres are equidistant to Waterford i.e Clonmel/Wexford/Kilkenny and most of the smaller ones lie within this triangle. The exact geographic regional centre is Thomastown. Big Deal. All the communications and road infrastructure radiates from Waterford. The second biggest river system in the country (Important for Water Supply) has Waterford as the main urban focal point. The most well developed gas energy and electricity generation infrastructure is in or near Waterford. Probably most important of all The Sanitation and Waterford supply infrastructure is focused in near Waterford with capacity for a population increase of 500000 people. All the infrastructure projects in the region are focused or unjustifiable without the presence of Waterford. There is simply nowhere in the South East of Ireland that has these advantages. It's not about superiority of the Deise over Kilkenny,Wexford or anywhere else.These are simply facts the facts on the ground.

I am personally quite irate over the whole issue. Mary Butler was elected by Waterford to further the interests of Waterford people, but once she's in power decides she will support Micky Martins stance on the issue. Because Micky Martin know's the issues affecting people in the region ????.

I heard Bobby Alywards rediculous response to the the independent reports recommendations. His emotive and and lackluster response was rather embarrasing.
    I am afraid to ask what she said. She is f*cking awful. The last thing I heard from her can be boiled down to. "Make Rural Areas Great Again!" or something of that sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Oh Dear! Has the "Kilkenny is the centre of the region" thing come up? It isn't. Most of the main population centres are equidistant to Waterford i.e Clonmel/Wexford/Kilkenny and most of the smaller ones lie within this triangle. The exact geographic regional centre is Thomastown. Big Deal. All the communications and road infrastructure radiates from Waterford. The second biggest river system in the country (Important for Water Supply) has Waterford as the main urban focal point. The most well developed gas energy and electricity generation infrastructure is in or near Waterford. Probably most important of all The Sanitation and Waterford supply infrastructure is focused in near Waterford with capacity for a population increase of 500000 people. All the infrastructure projects in the region are focused or unjustifiable without the presence of Waterford. There is simply nowhere in the South East of Ireland that has these advantages. It's not about superiority of the Deise over Kilkenny,Wexford or anywhere else.These are simply facts the facts on the ground.

what Electricity generation infrastructure?

The gas generation plant at Great Island. The ESB in the mid 1960s sought a location for an oil generation plant to provide supply security for Waterford and link into the national grid. They examined the three corners of Great Island, Snowhill and Cheekpoint for suitability. They settled on great Island for depth of Water and because grid linkage did not require overhead cables across Waterford Harbour, but went from Wexford to co Kilkenny via Ballinlaw instead.

The gas generation plant at Great Island. The ESB in the mid 1960s sought a location for an oil generation plant to provide supply security for Waterford and link into the national grid. They examined the three corners of Great Island, Snowhill and Cheekpoint for suitability. They settled on great Island for depth of Water and because grid linkage did not require overhead cables across Waterford Harbour, but went from Wexford to co Kilkenny via Ballinlaw instead.

Great island is Wexford.

while its great it does not secure any Electrical Infrastructure for Waterford.
    Waterford has issues with Electrical infrastructure, especially the sub stations that are feeding the likes of the IDA estate .

I suppose that says it all really. Five miles down stream from Waterford city and "its Wexford" as if it was in Outer Mongolia. No offence, but that's the kind of thinking that has killed this region. It feeds into the national grid there and the 220KV line that feeds from there to Kilmagemogue, Kilmeaden.. I am not sure there is an issue in Waterford city with power to areas like the IDA estate, the only place that I have heard is that power supply to Belview is inadequate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b9%5F21134170%5F15036%5F21%2D02%2D2017%5F

The level of debate nationally is awful on this issue. Sean O'Rourke's a very good journalist but from this podcast, it just seems to be treated as some parochial spat, a nice 'colour piece' to have a titter about.
    Also the factually inaccuracies which the Slieverue GAA Chairwoman is let away with shows the reporter hasn't looked at the report. Slieverue GAA club was never in the 'Area of Interest' of the boundary review in the first place, don't mind the fact that the recommendation leaves Slieverue village in Kilkenny. Not that this will affect GAA boundaries anyway but sure lets talk to some colourful locals with their 'real' insights says RTE.
    So they go from interviewing people in Waterford to people in Slieverue, which as we've established is hardly affected - no discussion with any of the vast majority of the people this WILL affect i.e. those living in the residential estates of Ferrybank that have spilled over in to Kilkenny i.e. Rockshire Road above Marymount, Belmont Road beyond boys school, Abbey Road beyond Abbey school.

Too sensible by half DMR. I understand the Kilkenny People last week had six pages of coverage and did not quote anything from the actual Boundary Commission report? As for RTE objectivity?

I suppose that says it all really. Five miles down stream from Waterford city and "its Wexford" as if it was in Outer Mongolia. No offence, but that's the kind of thinking that has killed this region. It feeds into the national grid there and the 220KV line that feeds from there to Kilmagemogue, Kilmeaden.. I am not sure there is an issue in Waterford city with power to areas like the IDA estate, the only place that I have heard is that power supply to Belview is inadequate.

there is supply and infrastructure issues...a lot of very old infrastructure cause supply issues

i only mentioned the electricity generation as it was raised as being a plus point for that waterford i was genuinely curious.. I do agree makes no odds as the grid is the grid
    it was also closed down by the ESB and it is only in recent years is it under private ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

That piece on Radio 1 was rubbish I agree but Slieverue village, hurling pitch etc is well and truly in the Area of Interest according to the map I looked at anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

jelutong wrote: »
    That piece on Radio 1 was rubbish I agree but Slieverue  village, hurling pitch etc is well and truly in the Area of Interest according to the map I looked at anyway.
    What map are you looking at? It goes nowhere near it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

Too sensible by half DMR. I understand the Kilkenny People last week had six pages of coverage and did not quote anything from the actual Boundary Commission report? As for RTE objectivity?
    I have looked at the KK people the last few weeks, it is the Daily Mail of local newspapers. Full of Sensationalism, false facts and twisted truths. An absolute rag!

What has the GAA got to do with anything? Do people actually see this as one of the issues?

zulutango wrote: »
    What has the GAA got to do with anything? Do people actually see this as one of the issues?

yes a lot of people do, they have pride in their county and are proud to call themsleves (waterford or kilkenny) men and women... it can be a very emotive topic for some.
    to take it away can cause upset to some, in reality it makes feck all difference to most average joes who administers them whether it be KK or WCC, but taking away something that they have had pride in for most of their lives is an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

But the GAA isn't being taken away or changed in any respect. It's not an issue.

robtri wrote: »

Great island is Wexford.

while its great it does not secure any Electrical Infrastructure for Waterford.
    Waterford has issues with Electrical infrastructure, especially the sub stations that are feeding the likes of the IDA estate .
    Sub stations are not strategic infrastructure. Power stations are 

there is supply and infrastructure issues...a lot of very old infrastructure cause supply issues

i only mentioned the electricity generation as it was raised as being a plus point for that waterford i was genuinely curious.. I do agree makes no odds as the grid is the grid
    it was also closed down by the ESB and it is only in recent years is it under private ownership
    You seem to be looking for some straw to clasp at. The sub stations are not significant problems to modernize. The strategic infrastructure is modern and has a massive amount of capacity. The County Wexford  is typical of the BS that passes for an substance. The continued existence of the power station is down to it being able to be supplied by Gas which is there because of the gas supply to Waterford. It is in a remote part of Wexford next to virtually nothing. As far as transmission of electricity goes to the first to points of interest which are Belview and Waterford. 
      If sub stations are creating a supply issue then they will be replaced by the ESB. That is if they are but my gut is telling me this is something your inflating. Otherwise the ESB run the risk of litigation by users of the grid and operators of the Power Station.

zulutango wrote: »

yes a lot of people do, they have pride in their county and are proud to call themsleves (waterford or kilkenny) men and women... it can be a very emotive topic for some.
    to take it away can cause  upset to some, in reality it makes feck all difference to most average joes who administers them whether it be KK or WCC, but taking away something that they have had pride in for most of their lives is an issue
    They will get over it.

• Advertisement

I heard Bobby Aylwards interview on Sound Cloud. The sh!t this guy said was unbelievable.  He actually claimed KK is responsible for the Port in Belview.:D I think he also said that KK provided the new Water Supply Infrastructure there . These two things have nothing to do with KK. The Port of Waterford and Capital grants from the government  are the reasons the Port was able to move downstream. The Water Scheme funding came from when Cullen was in cabinet. The amazing thing is I think he actually believed it! Shocking Stuff! Shocking as that was it was nothing compared Mary Butlers comments (Just Googled Them)
    She is nothing but a f*cking traitor to her own people. She should be told if she doesn't support this then  prepare to go the way of Ciara Conway. She has just confirmed she is going to be useless and just do as she is told by Micheal Martin. Paudie Coffey made that mistake.

You seem to be looking for some straw to clasp at. The sub stations are not significant problems to modernize. The strategic infrastructure is modern and has a massive amount of capacity. The County Wexford  is typical of the BS that passes for an substance. The continued existence of the power station is down to it being able to be supplied by Gas which is there because of the gas supply to Waterford. It is in a remote part of Wexford next to virtually nothing. As far as transmission of electricity goes to the first to points of interest which are Belview and Waterford. 
      If sub stations are creating a supply issue then they will be replaced by the ESB. That is if they are but my gut is telling me this is something your inflating. Otherwise the ESB run the risk of litigation by users of the grid and operators of the Power Station.

sorry but I never said they where strategic they are a vital part of the infrastructure and have issues..
    no straw grasping or anything.. not a put down comment, a statement of my interactions with the two main sub stations (one is ok, one is bad)on the estate.

to the wexford point, again let me explain in english someone here mentioned waterford generation and i was generally curious as to what this was in relation too .. i was just correcting the record with noting it not Waterford ... no grasping of straws again... just a fact.. .

actually the gas supply to it was not from Waterford either, it wasnt big enough to supply the plant..
    The starting point of the natural gas pipeline is at an existing Bord Gáis Networks facility at Baunlusk approximately 6km south of Kilkenny City
    they brought it down through wexford and kilkenny specially for the power plant...

They will get over it.

see thats the attitude that gets peoples back up....
    the arrogance is sickening..

Robtri, the independent legal boundary commission has sat and made its recommendation that the extension should be granted. That debate is over. Maps posted here show that its mostly a return to historic boundaries. Stop beating the drum. Two things need to be said. The Port of Waterford was developed at Belview without any financial input from KKCC. The water supply was limited from the start and Martin Cullen in government ensured finance was provided to bring water to the site for the benefit of the port into the future, whatever county it was in. Its a regional asset. The second thing is that the Waterford city waste water treatment plant (cost nearly €100m) was essential to the location of Glanbia. I understand that there was an ESB supply problem at Belview but this may have been overcome with Glanbia on site. The whole ESB network around Waterford city was substantially upgraded about 10 years ago with that Sierra company on site for a couple of years. The 220KV ring grid supplies
    Waterford.
    http://www.gaelforceenergy.com/blog/?p=166

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

to take it away can cause upset to some, in reality it makes feck all difference to most average joes who administers them whether it be KK or WCC, but taking away something that they have had pride in for most of their lives is an issue

And back to the gaa argument again...how many times does it need to be said, you can still fly your kk flags.

• Advertisement

Waterford Issues for discussion with Boundary Commission publication:
    http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/projects/boundary-commission/Submission2-BoundaryReport.pdf
    Interesting to see how much Waterford has invested in the area (currently Co Kilkenny) and also the false truths of KK investment in the Kilkenny coco submission.

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/projects/boundary-commission/Submission2-BoundaryReport.pdf
    Interesting to see how much Waterford has invested in the area (currently Co Kilkenny) and also the false truths of KK investment in the Kilkenny coco submission.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I have looked at the KK people the last few weeks, it is the Daily Mail of local newspapers. Full of Sensationalism, false facts and twisted truths. An absolute rag!

On the subject of The Kilkenny people :) all joking aside, this is a momentous fcuk up from them

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/236606/apology-to-tina-cahill-of-ballyvara-graignamanagh.html

Max Powers wrote: »
    And back to the gaa argument again...how many times does it need to be said, you can still fly your kk flags.

and this shows ur complete inabilty to read a thread correctly.... please see the question that was asked in relation to my reply..

Robtri, the independent legal boundary commission has sat and made its recommendation that the extension should be granted. That debate is over. Maps posted here show that its mostly a return to historic boundaries. Stop beating the drum. Two things need to be said. The Port of Waterford was developed at Belview without any financial input from KKCC. The water supply was limited from the start and Martin Cullen in government ensured finance was provided to bring water to the site for the benefit of the port into the future, whatever county it was in. Its a regional asset. The second thing is that the Waterford city waste water treatment plant (cost nearly €100m) was essential to the location of Glanbia. I understand that there was an ESB supply problem at Belview but this may have been overcome with Glanbia on site. The whole ESB network around Waterford city was substantially upgraded about 10 years ago with that Sierra company on site for a couple of years. The 220KV ring grid supplies
    Waterford.
    http://www.gaelforceenergy.com/blog/?p=166

where was i arguing the boundary in the last few posts

you tried to claim the power station as waterford

Max was claiming gas was from waterford supply

you originally claimed the water plants soley waterford doing...
    absolutely agree its a great asset to the region and is great

you claimed a great esb infrastructure I gave my two cents worth.. about my experiences over the few years.

if the debate is over why u still arguing it?

and PS just for u Max.. I fly the only colours worth flying ... The Dubs ....
    so the GAA argument about me is even more funny

sorry but I never said they where strategic they are a vital part of the infrastructure and have issues..
    no straw grasping or anything.. not a put down comment, a statement of my interactions with the two main sub stations (one is ok, one is bad)on the estate.

to the wexford point, again let me explain in english someone here mentioned waterford generation and i was generally curious as to what this was in relation too .. i was just correcting the record with noting it not Waterford ... no grasping of straws again... just a fact.. .

actually the gas supply to it was not from Waterford either, it wasnt big enough to supply the plant..
    The starting point of the natural gas pipeline is at an existing Bord Gáis Networks facility at Baunlusk approximately 6km south of Kilkenny City
    they brought it down through wexford and kilkenny specially for the power plant...
    You are playing a game of words by using the geographic counties to hide certain facts. Beliew Port and Great Island are  within a short distance of Waterford and  are essentially in the Waterford area. Beliew terminal is on the edge of Urban Waterford. The gas supply to Great Island Power station is via Belview terminal and the Industrial Parks adjacent to it. This is urban Waterford. The main transmission lines from Great Island run via Waterford.Great Island is closer to Waterford than any other urban center in the SE. The transmission lines to the east are of a lower capacity.All the important strategic infrastructure in region i.e. roads, energy, water,education and  medical are in Waterford. For someone who says things in "English" you have a poor grasp of the obvious.

So why are you bothered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Nail on head

• Advertisement

Nail on head
    Why? This is not a sovereignty issue. It's the same country. Stop going on like its the Donbass. It is a change in an administrative boundary that should have happened twenty years ago.

where was i arguing the boundary in the last few posts

you tried to claim the power station as waterford

Max was claiming gas was from waterford supply

you originally claimed the water plants soley waterford doing...
    absolutely agree its a great asset to the region and is great

you claimed a great esb infrastructure I gave my two cents worth.. about my experiences over the few years.

if the debate is over why u still arguing it?

Me, gas, did I? Don't think I did.

C'Mon Kerry then.;-)
    I presume they still good,I have very little interest in gaelic football.
    What has Waterford done to warrant such hatred from a Dubliner.

Pointless circular argument and pointless posts from people with little real understanding of the area. Childish rhetoric posted by people determined to stir up response and with no interest in fact. Robtri et al. Arrogance, Sickening? I doubt if some of the posters here even understand the meaning of those nine letter words. The arguments have been made the boundary commission has decided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

But the GAA isn't being taken away or changed in any respect. It's not an issue.

Not to mention Ferrybank and Slieverue play in Waterford anyway :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

Parachutes wrote: »
    Not to mention Ferrybank and Slieverue play in Waterford anyway :rolleyes:
    Do Slievrue not play in the Kilkenny junior championship I would think they would when there in Co. kilkenny, several clubs from Carlow , kildare play in kilkenny leagues which should happen we don't have arrogance to tell them to go else where also are kilkenny not helping Waterford out this year holding there truck show for them that's what you call community spirit. which ye cant find a place reckon to be the regions capital god help us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Do Slievrue not play in the Kilkenny junior championship I would think they would when there in Co. kilkenny, several clubs from Carlow , kildare play in kilkenny leagues which should happen we don't have arrogance to tell them to go else where also are kilkenny not helping Waterford out this year holding there truck show for them that's what you call community spirit. which ye cant find a place reckon to be the regions capital god help us

Slieverue play between both Waterford and Kilkenny depending, Slieverue isn't included in the extension anyway so completely irrelevant. Ferrybank play in Waterford.

Me, gas, did I? Don't think I did.

apologies on that one Max, it was fuzzy who mentioned it...

Pointless circular argument and pointless posts from people with little real understanding of the area. Childish rhetoric posted by people determined to stir up response and with no interest in fact. Robtri et al. Arrogance, Sickening? I doubt if some of the posters here even understand the meaning of those nine letter words. The arguments have been made the boundary commission has decided.

the boundary commission has recommended not decided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Advertisement