Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender of a protagonist

Options
  • 18-06-2015 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭

This is something that I'm sure is brought up a lot in several threads but never really discussed in itself and I just read a brief interview with Shu Yoshida and I just couldn't understand what they were so worried about.
    There was a third reason that Yoshida was nervous to see how people would react to the game: Horizon's protagonist is a young woman.

"She's a female lead character," he said. "That has always been the vision by the team, but we had a discussion. Is it risky to do a female character?"

In fact, once development was underway, so many questions were asked about the protagonist internally, that the company brought in a marketing team to do some focus testing.

"The concern came after the game was in development," he said. "We started to show it to many more people internally and they had questions about it. So we worked with our marketing groups to do this focus testing.

"We wanted to see how people would react to some of the things: open world RPG, the set up of machine versus primitive weapons and the female protagonist. All of those things."

While the reaction was positive, Yoshida was still a bit nervous about the game's first broad unveiling.

"The focus testing reaction was positive and that made us feel good, but you know it's a limited number of people that we were able to test."

Sony worried about female protagonist

I think now we're obviously seeing more diversity in games with different protagonists both male and female. We can see that even with this E3 with games such as the one in the article, Horizon, Recore etc which do have a female protagonist.

But my question is has the sex of a protagonist ever affected your decision to purchase a game? I just find it so hard to believe that someone might see a game with fantastic reviews but once they saw the protagonist was female just thought to themselves: "No way I'm picking this up"

So what do other members of boards think? Do you have an issue with it or have you changed your mind for one reason or another?

Does it bother you when the protagonist is female? 234 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    5%
    Calhounmonster1Lone StoneMagilljenno86AdamantiumRossi IRLMidlife CrashesDeclanReXenjiThe_ValeyardTables[Deleted User]whiteramekin 14 votes
    I don't care
    55%
    RasTade5p0i1erRopeDrinknesfCreamy Goodnesssuper_furryRobertFosterZhanetuxywayne040576SkerriesMcGwesmordeithBizzyCFGROtaconMickerooelekidBanjo 129 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    38%
    ShiminayamenSpearondaflyDmatrimsavemejebus[Deleted User]KiithpogcicaShiverinEskimoR0ot[Deleted User][Deleted User]TerrorFirmerMitch ConnorJulezK.O.KikiDavei141Riesen_Meal 91 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Atari Jaguar
    I don't care , and to be honest i'm getting sick of this conversation coming up in the movie threads aswell , Its ruining discussion when people start yammering on about , oh no the female was a stereo typical woman and the male was a macho man character some of the best games out there have female leads

Mirrors Edge
    Tomb Raider
    Resident Evil 1-3 and code veronica

My own personal opinion I couldn't give a toss as long as the game is good and the story is engaging basically

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People that let the sex of a main character can be filed in the sane box as people that won't buy a game because it's too cute; Morons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I would be genuinely alarmed if anybody answered 'yes' to this question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I don't care
    I can't imagine why anyone would care. Like, I know people do, but I have no idea why. Jim Sterling did a good video on this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I don't care
    I would be alarmed too but at the same time there is a huge deal made about it. Every time a new game with a female lead is revealed, it's always a big focal point of the interviews with the developers and usually you hear there is a bit of concern in the background. I've just never understood why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

No
    For me it's a yes, depending on the game. RPG type games that I get into I like it being a male protagonist for my own personal immersion.

Other stuff I don't really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The gender matters incredibly little to me.

As long as the gender isn't just shoe-horned into the leading plot for the sake of appeasing people demanding more representation, and actually does work in lead role for the game.

I for one was happy to see that Emily is a lead in Dishonored 2, alongside Corvo. I'm not even a big fan of the game, but it was still great to see two solid leads for the game.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Atari Jaguar
    Games with interesting female leads? Maybe 10. Maybe.
    Games with interesting male leads? Dozens.
    Games with fking moronic leads of either gender? About 90% of all games (that feature a human or humanoid lead character of course).

It's a big deal with there's an interesting female lead because we've had so few for so long and women make up more than half of the planet's population so why aren't we telling (and playing) their stories?

Gaming is a changed market. There are more women than men playing games now and all the "hardcore" gamers can say is "they're not real gamers" when the ladies don't want to play a yet another male power fantasy like 90% of AAA games are today - and why the frak would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Atari Jaguar
    It doesn't really matter however I do believe some roles are better suited to men - CoD & GTA as two examples.

That doesn't mean that the female role should be confined to the stereotypical vulnerable damsel either. Lara Croft transends that fantastically especially in the last iteration, paralleling herself with Nathan Drake.

Nariko from Heavenly Sword kicks some serious ass, as does Catwoman to a lesser extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't care
    It's always a bit shocking to hear about development companies fighting against publishers who want them to change their main character to a male, you'd think seriously? In this day and age something like that's happening? But if I'm being honest, it shouldn't be too surprising considering some of the nerd rage I've seen over them adding female playable characters to Payday 2, quite a few people were ranting about how it was unrealistic for women to be bankrobbers, and although it was just a vocal minority, holy sh*t they were vocal! Considering there's been some truly great games with female protagonists, Portal or others that were already mentioned in this thread, they're shocking few and far between.

But I think there's a bigger picture here, because I find a lot of main characters really look very homogenous. You know the meme that goes something like gamers love brown haired 30-something white guys? That's not to criticize any characters in particular, Adam Jensen and Booker DeWitt are great characters, but it's the kind of thing that once I noticed it, I couldn't unsee it. Game protagonists do seem to follow a fairly set pattern, a narrow set of characteristics, and I don't know what it is, is it laziness or trying to homogenous as possible? I don't know, but it's something that's bugged me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Atari Jaguar
    It would never change my decision on whether or not to buy a game, but when given the choice, i'll almost always pick male. I usually like a game for the story, and try to put myself in the characters position, even when a lot of game stories are pretty bad.

I don't care
    Oh, you know something I'd like to see more of?

Two protagonists who's genders are more than just a cosmetic difference and are fully fledged characters like Jill and Chris from Resident Evil, because that was a great way to do things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Atari Jaguar
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    people that won't buy a game because it's too cute; Morons.

Even being an anime fan I'm still put off by overly moe characters in games. It's a question of taste, people prefer certain styles / art direction. I wouldn't dismiss a game due to it's presentation but it could put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

This isn't even an issue among gamers despite what the media would like you to think. Seriously never met a person that wouldn't play a game because of a female lead alone (maybe 10 year old COD players or something). Although disliking the lead character, whatever gender, is a perfectly fine reason not to like or play a game. Lord knows I skipped Watch Dogs because of that (among many other things). I also skipped the new Tomb Raider games because I never liked them anyway and there was too many QTEs.

penev10 wrote: »
    Even being an anime fan I'm still put off by overly moe characters in games. It's a question of taste, people prefer certain styles / art direction. I wouldn't dismiss a game due to it's presentation but it could put me off.

Go play Nekopara. I think I got diabetes from the sugar in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I don't care
    This isn't even an issue among gamers despite what the media would like you to think. Seriously never met a person that wouldn't play a game because of a female lead alone (maybe 10 year old COD players or something).
    It's an issue in design meetings because it's an issue with publishers because it's an issue with marketing departments because it's an issue with some gamers.

The media report on it with varying degrees of accuracy because it is an issue. Anecdotal evidence on your side doesn't change this, hell look at this very thread, Links234 has seen it for the most trivial of reasons. Ignoring that though, who do you think the marketing department at Sony turned to in order to focus test the idea of a female lead?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

penev10 wrote: »

There's cute and there's moe. Moe is evil in it's purest form.... Onii-chan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Atari Jaguar
    Isn't "No" and "I don't care" the same thing? :p

Don't care either way but in RPGs where i can create my character i tend to make females for some reason, pretty gay eh? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The only game I wanted announced at E3 had a female protagonist(I miss you Jade)...I don't ever envisage myself as the lead character though so a female lead is no biggie.
    Clementine is as cool now as protagonists get, Lara is great again & a lot of people prefer Femshep so I don't see the problem unless you read & take YouTube commentators seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Atari Jaguar
    If your only talking point is "our game has a girl!" then I'm wary you're not saying "it's a good game!" instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I don't care
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    People that let the sex of a main character can be filed in the sane box as people that won't buy a game because it's too cute; Morons.

I'll hold my hands up and say I'm the type of moron that would prefer to be blowing the head off a Nazi in Wolfenstein than going fishing with an anthropomorphic bunny rabbit in Animal Crossing but I have no issue with the gender of the protagonist. BJ could have been Cunnilingus and it wouldn't make any difference to my enjoyment of the game.

• Advertisement

No
    It doesn't bother me a huge deal, but I'm ashamed to admit that it does bother me in a minuscule way. Some games have overly sexy female characters - which I simply can't stand. I don't like supporting that rubbish. Sudeki, Dead or Alive and Bayonetta come to mind. Its perpetuating a negative stereotype and its just a pointless distraction. I don't like it.

Besides that, similar to how I find it slightly harder to relate to female singer's lyrics, I also find it slightly hard to relate to a female main character.

Would it stop me from playing a game? No (although possibly in the case overly sexualised characters)

Would I choose a female or male character at the character creation screen? Male every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Atari Jaguar
    A co-worker of mine has an old Lara Croft mousemat, it's embarrassing to think of how she was portrayed just 15 years ago. A waist about 6 inches wide and a bra size that looks like a double letter somewhere in the second half of the alphabet.

Also remember when Dead or Alive almost sold itself solely on the fact that it had bouncing breasts?

Played Perfect Dark Zero for the first time recently, Joanna Dark went from being clad in an armoured body suit in the N64 version to a low-slung jeans, revealing crop top wearing, hair-over-one-eye emo clandestine agent in PDZ.

Also, more recently in Halo, the ridiculous over sexualization of your AI companion Cortana really bothered me. She gained several breast sizes, poutier lips, wider hips and a rounder ass since Halo 3.

Tomb Raider, Perfect Dark and Resident Evil spring to mind for strong female leads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't care
    I never gave a monkeys about the gender of the character I was playing, certainly never made a difference. Be it Catwoman in Arkham City, Chell in Portal and its sequel or any number of female protagonists in fighting games over the years, and in the gunw@nk genre its more the gun your holding in 1st person and the ethnic minorities you are gunning down than the nature of the virtual junk in the pants of the hero.
    I think story based games, be it RPGs or episodic adventure, the gender of a character will be critical as it will lend sense to the character and their drives and needs, providing context for their actions, but this can be enjoyed by any player of any gender as well.
    As a parallel think of novels and, while there are plenty of best sellers involving the Alex Cross' and Jack Ryan's of this world, we still see big money being made by the Bones books by Reichs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Shiminay wrote: »
    the ladies don't want to play a yet another male power fantasy like 90% of AAA games are today - and why the frak would they?

that's quite a broad generalisation to make, not every female gamer is an Anita Sarkeesian wannabe you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Atari Jaguar
    Do not care!

As long as the lead character is a good fleshed out character it makes no difference to me what gender they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I don't care
    Voted no, but on second thought when I've played a woman in any of the bioware game i usually don't do any of the romance story. If it wasn't a choice i doubt I'd mind.

Some exceptions such as femshep & garrus and sera in inquisition.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Atari Jaguar
    that's quite a broad generalisation to make, not every female gamer is an Anita Sarkeesian wannabe you know.
    Yes, because every woman who objects to being asked if they wanna be another hulking dudebro character with a big gun shooting all of the things is that idiot Sarkeesian...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I don't care

Also, more recently in Halo, the ridiculous over sexualization of your AI companion Cortana really bothered me. She gained several breast sizes, poutier lips, wider hips and a rounder ass since Halo 3.

I'm playing through the master chief collection at the moment and thats very noticeable. I prefer to think of it as the hardware finally catching up with the developers vision though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

Atari Jaguar
    Shiminay wrote: »
    Yes, because every woman who objects to being asked if they wanna be another hulking dudebro character with a big gun shooting all of the things is that idiot Sarkeesian...

:rolleyes:
    If they're perfectly happy playing the same game as a hulking dudette sister is that not itself sexism?

• Advertisement

I don't care
    Hell, I'd love to play a game where the protagonist is someone more like Brienne of Tarth

3737345-0377951485-8B4AC.jpg

Advertisement