Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender of a protagonist

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't care
    de5p0i1er wrote: »
    However I don't want game dev's to shoehorn a female into a game...

Hang on, gotta stop you there because there's been a fair bit of talk about female characters being "shoehorned" into games, can you or someone else provide examples of this? People have however provided examples already of publishers and marketing types demanding devs change female protagonists to male.

But you're making some very unsupported assumptions as well, I don't think anyone is calling out for quotas or characters shoehorned in anywhere. Nobody wants tokens, they want well written characters. As well as that, you seem to be suggesting that adding a female character would be detrimental to a game, and that certainly doesn't follow logically.

Even if, if a female character is shoehorned into something, that doesn't mean it'll be detrimental either. I mean, in the original script for Alien for example, Ripley was a man, this was changed at some point and Sigourney Weaver was cast. I don't think anyone could make the argument that this was a bad idea because Ripley is an excellent character and Sigourney Weaver's performance was amazing. Anyone arguing that the Alien series would've been better if Ripley was a man would probably be scoffed at.
    nesf wrote: »
    It'd bother me if it "broke the world." A female American Marine platoon fighting the Pacific Theater of WWII in something *not* intended as alternate reality social commentary or satire or whatever.

You could well imagine a game from the perspective of a female French resistance fighter, but I think that goes to your point of the types of games and the settings that are being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I don't care
    Links234 wrote: »
    You could well imagine a game from the perspective of a female French resistance fighter, but I think that goes to your point of the types of games and the settings that are being used.

Exactly, that would work perfectly but would be a very different story. Similar stories could be done about spies etc. I enjoy playing games with female protagonists, I just dislike it when they don't fit well into the story. I would absolutely love to see more games with "minority protagonists" (please give me a good depiction of bipolar in a playable character, please) but not games where we just parachute them into one of the well worn dudebro/marysue settings we've been forcefed over and over. Which seems to be what the more idiotic fringe of the outrage brigade are demanding (i.e. not all of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I don't care
    Hang on, gotta stop you there because there's been a fair bit of talk about female characters being "shoehorned" into games, can you or someone else provide examples of this? People have however provided examples already of publishers and marketing types demanding devs change female protagonists to male.

But you're making some very unsupported assumptions as well, I don't think anyone is calling out for quotas or characters shoehorned in anywhere. Nobody wants tokens, they want well written characters. As well as that, you seem to be suggesting that adding a female character would be detrimental to a game, and that certainly doesn't follow logically.

I'm not saying it's happening, I'm saying I don't want it to happen.

More and more people are shouting about diversity in games and demanding this, without actually doing anything to make games themselves.

I'd like to see more AAA games that are designed with women lead characters or games for women but by design not because there forced to fill quotas
    Even if, if a female character is shoehorned into something, that doesn't mean it'll be detrimental either. I mean, in the original script for Alien for example, Ripley was a man, this was changed at some point and Sigourney Weaver was cast. I don't think anyone could make the argument that this was a bad idea because Ripley is an excellent character and Sigourney Weaver's performance was amazing. Anyone arguing that the Alien series would've been better if Ripley was a man would probably be scoffed at.

Another example would be the movie Salt that script was written with Tom Cruise in mind but the lead was eventually played by Angelina Jolie.

I don't care
    I'm not saying it's happening, I'm saying I don't want it to happen.
    But isn't that just a little paranoid? You're railing against something that isn't happening, and nobody is even asking for. Even Anita isn't asking for quotas.
    More and more people are shouting about diversity in games and demanding this, without actually doing anything to make games themselves.
    People are demanding lots of things in games, gamers can be a demanding bunch, why are demands for diversity treated differently? People make all sorts of criticisms about games, from ****ty DLC policies, to gameplay mechanics, to story, and everything else in between. The answer should not be "well, I don't see you making games yourself?" That's just flippant and a non-argument, a way of dodging criticism and nothing more.
    I'd like to see more AAA games that are designed with women lead characters or games for women but by design not because there forced to fill quotas
    You and me both! I think we'd be very much in the same page on that, I'd certainly love more games with women as the protagonists, I'd love more well-written and memorable female characters. That's what I think most people are genuinely asking for, and this talk of filling quotas is a strawman, I doubt you'll find anyone on this thread asking for quotas.
    Another example would be the movie Salt that script was written with Tom Cruise in mind but the lead was eventually played by Angelina Jolie.
    Haven't seen that myself. Ring is another example, in the original novel by Koji Suzuki, the main character was a man but in the movie, they changed the character to a woman, Reiko.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't care
    You know I was going to make the argument that there are actually quite a few games with female protagonists, but then I looked down through the couple of hundred games in my Steam library and only found Child of Light, Final Fantasy XIII, Life Is Strange, The Long Dark, Portal, Siberia, Tomb Raider and maybe one or two others. I realised I'd just picked a female a few times when given the option and that made it seem like way more. :pac:

But there you are anyway, a handful of games that I don't think anyone could claim were weakened by the gender of the protagonist. So, what are waiting for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I don't care

The 2nd Medal of Honor game (MOH: Underground) had a character called 'Manon' if I remember correctly.
    It was based around the french resistance....she was even on the cover if I recall. As said, she was a french resistance fighter and it worked great with the story.
    (I'll double check this in a minute)

256px-Medal_of_Honor_-_Underground_Coverart.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Atari Jaguar
    SeantheMan wrote: »
    The 2nd Medal of Honor game (MOH: Underground) had a character called 'Manon' if I remember correctly.
    It was based around the french resistance....she was even on the cover if I recall. As said, she was a french resistance fighter and it worked great with the story.
    (I'll double check this in a minute)

256px-Medal_of_Honor_-_Underground_Coverart.png
    https://medium.com/@adrianchm/the-truth-about-e3-2015-and-female-protagonists-b006094e44b1
    ZrZGeyGl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I don't care
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Can we examine this collage in a bit of detail please because I think it highlights a few problems with the debate on the subject.

Are we really going to look to the likes of The Sims, choose-your-hero MMOs and RPGs and a bunch of Fighting games as examples of adequate female representation in games? By that I mean, is anyone really arguing that they're not present or are they arguing for more female leads, better written (female) characters and better representation of females in general, for instance, less reliance on women looking "sexy" on covers to appeal to the 16-35 male demographic?

As for the points made in the image, the first ones made in the HuffPost article were responding to comments made by the Executive Producer of the last Tomb Raider game, the author of the piece actually disagrees with the notion that Lara was vulnerable and needed protection. In the USAToday piece, while women may be feature in a number of games they have categorically not made up a large percentage of leading or significant characters in video games over the years. No one is saying games featuring female leads don't exist and of those that do, no one is saying some of them haven't been utterly fantastic. Finally the digitaltrends piece was referring to E3 this year, so they're correct in noting the general absence of female fronted games from some of the publishers listed compared to others.

In general though, we're not dealing with a "narrative" here, at least as far as I can see no one here is really interested in discussing one. What we do have is a publisher, who is mentioned in the above collage as having previously published many brilliant games with women, publicly expressing concern about a female protagonist in a new AAA game. We have examples of developers having issues with publishers specifically because their game has a female lead and of being under pressure to ensure that the female lead doesn't make the cover. We even have a research firm who is contracted by the publishers themselves to look at this specific area, publish a report stating games with female leads sell less copies and, on a very much related note, are generally given lower marketing budgets. These are facts, not some throw away ideologically slanted viewpoints being expressed and as such, it's very much a real story.

As I said previously, if the majority of gamers don't care about the gender of the protagonist but publishers are under the impression they do for whatever reason, isn't the correct course of action to be vocal and state this fact along with a general desire for better written characters? The latter point being important too because, to riff on the Aliens examples above, if the "solution" from the publishers perspective is to give us a slew of titles with Vasquez-like leads then they've still missed the point most reasonable people are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Atari Jaguar
    Some of the "facts" are also hear-say, with too much focus on a black-and-white Male-vs-Female argument & ignoring market forces.

I don't care
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Some of the "facts" are also hear-say, with too much focus on a black-and-white Male-vs-Female argument & ignoring market forces.
    The only point which could be considered here-say is Dontnod's contributions but unless you're going to argue that their studio founder has, on two separate occasions, lied publicly about their interactions with publishers across separate projects and ignore the fact their interactions are similar to those expressed by a major publisher itself, dismissing them seems somewhat unwise.

I've seen no evidence of such a black and white, male vs. female focus to the argument in anything presented here so far. Sure, they exist some places but no one here has supported them or even referenced them. If anything, people have dismissed them when they've been raised.

Market forces, depending on the context, are certainly important though. One of the problems with research from the likes of EEDAR is that the quality of the games examined don't appear to play a factor in their findings. As you pointed out above, probably one of the largest contributing factors to Remember Me not having particularly stellar sales was because it just wasn't great, rather than the fact it had a female protagonist. Was this what you were referring to?

Any comment on the validity of rest of the info in the collage I pointed out?

• Advertisement

I don't care
    gizmo wrote: »
    As I said previously, if the majority of gamers don't care about the gender of the protagonist but publishers are under the impression they do for whatever reason, isn't the correct course of action to be vocal and state this fact along with a general desire for better written characters?

The problem is if say 60% don't care but 30% will only play a male protagonist, what do you think will happen? My read of all this is that with AAA games going for as broad an appeal as possible they (possibly mistakenly) plum for the male lead as it turns off fewer gamers than a female one even if the majority of gamers wouldn't mind a female lead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just to make it abundantly clear if it isn't already:

Nobody is calling for 'quotas', and if somebody is, somewhere else, they are talking nonsense.
    Nobody is calling for characters to be 'shoehorned' into situations or contexts where they do not logically, historically or sensibly belong.
    Nobody is calling for censorship.
    Nobody is demanding anything, merely articulating strong hopes that the hobby we all enjoy so much will continue to develop and diversify organically while retaining what makes it so special at the moment.
    Nobody is denying that great games with both male and female lead characters do exist.
    Nobody - I hope - is denying that there are often more basic and fundamental issues with the way games are designed and written - that to achieve a more 'diverse' medium that we probably need to get to the point where more people are telling stories that are coherently designed and interesting on a much more basic level.
    de5p0i1er wrote:
    More and more people are shouting about diversity in games and demanding this, without actually doing anything to make games themselves

This is a weak argument. People who don't make games still play and have responses to the ones they play and are free to articulate them, that's how criticism has and always will work. Not to mention as people who actually buy games we all do have the power to make a meaningful statement, however minor an individual's purchasing choices may be in the general scheme of things.

I don't care
    The problem is if say 60% don't care but 30% will only play a male protagonist, what do you think will happen? My read of all this is that with AAA games going for as broad an appeal as possible they (possibly mistakenly) plum for the male lead as it turns off fewer gamers than a female one even if the majority of gamers wouldn't mind a female lead.
    I think that pretty much sums it up unfortunately. :o

I mean, I can see the difficulty some publishers face in this respect. To take Life is Strange as an example again, this is a brief exchange between Michel Koch, the Co-Game Director and Art Director on the title, and a poster during their Reddit AMA. While it's great the guy has come away with a more positive outlook on the game, I can imagine publishers sitting there wondering how in the hell they're going to market the game to such a wider audience when it's being pitched to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Aimead

I don't care
    I mean, lets look at the "This is literal dehumanizing" quote in the proper context, shall we?
    The crux of where we disagree is that I think you cannot ignore the lead-in to that phrase, which includes the problematic headline and selectively quoting from a troll thread (most of the comments in that thread were calling ‘racist’, but pointing that out wouldn’t have suited the narrative the author was trying to spin). The ‘proper context’ of the quote is the article as a whole.

Putting this another way, if the Rusk lead-in doesn’t get written do you really think that the Witcher piece gets written? We cannot know for sure, but I sure don’t think so. That piece (the comments on The Witcher) weren’t written in a vacuum, and I think it is rather ironic for you to say that I am (to paraphrase your words) ‘divorcing things from their context’ (the context being the article as a whole). Maybe we’ll never see eye-to-eye on this, but ask yourself this. If you wanted to explore that particular point (and you do seem to find it worthy of discussion) in a blog article, would you ever have framed it with anything like how the author did? I highly doubt it.

Slightly off-topic but, while I cannot say that the author in question would have done this, you know as well as I do that had The Witcher 3 had PoC’s and a similar level of racist dynamics there still would have been articles insinuating the game was racist.
    People call me a bigot all the time, it's hardly anything new.
    Come on, you know the point I was making. On the usual places I frequent I would have picked something much stronger that ‘bigot’ to make the point, but since Boards.ie is more heavily moderated I decided to pick something more vanilla. Replace ‘bigot’ with you most hated accusation and the point still stands.

You specifically said the development team had concerns.
    I checked back over my comments and I did indeed make this mistake. That was an error on my part. I had been using phrases like “Sony Executives” and that one must have slipped through. I’m sorry that caused confusion.

I’ll refrain from responding piecemeal since I think we actually agree on far more than we disagree on.The EEDAR research is a stronger case that not marketing a game harms its sales than for any issue that the gaming community has with female protagonists. Not marketing a game with a female lead and then having that game do badly is self-fulfilling prophecy. This is, to me at least, divorced from the gaming community at this point.

I think we both agree that the ‘issue’ with female protagonists is a publisher one, and not indicative of the gaming community. I use Beyond: Two Souls as an example because, when the pre-ordering fest was in full swing, would-be buyers had little to go on. They hadn’t played a demo, and the biggest piece of information they had was that the gender of the lead character. I’m not trying to claim gender is what motivated the pre-orders, only that gender wasn’t a turn off. That the game itself was dull and boring and little more than an interactive movie with little gameplay doomed it, but that only became apparent after its release. To use your phrase with the second example – “Tomb Raider is massively successful because it's Tomb Raider, not because it has a female lead.”

Given that, and I think we both agree on this, the gaming community does not have (and I would argue never had) any problem with female protagonists, and given that (which I think we both agree on) the ‘issue’ here is one the publishers have….then why is not being reflected in the gaming press??? Most of what I read is insinuating that gaming is a cesspool of misogyny, sexism and hatred of women. If there were any truth to most of what has been published about my fellow gamers then it is almost quite the miracle that I haven’t been reaped at a gaming convention.

Now here is the ‘puzzling’ thing (and what motivated me to register on Boards.ie to post ITT). Intellectually I can grasp the publisher’s misguided concerns on this, and how the statistics are generated from, and used to support, a self-fulfilling prophecy. I don’t agree in any way with the publisher mindset on this, but I can at least on some level ‘understand’ it. But what I don’t get, that completely melts my brain, is the disparity between this backdrop and article after article that slams the gaming community as being the problem on all of this.

For me, I don’t see that good journalism has to be distinct from activism. For example, writing accurately and persuasively on something like homelessness might lead to more donations to charities in that area. Good journalism should, I think, lead to (or at least help inspire) change. If a journalist (and I use that term very loosely here) wanted to see more diversity in vidya then I don’t see too much of a problem with that. It is when that goal completely overrides journalistic integrity that I have an issue. Wanting to have more female leads in vidya is fine in and of itself. Writing a bull**** article where you tar a community with obnoxious slanderous lies in attempting to further your goal? I’m not sure what part of that I find most galling – the fact that is rank intellectual dishonesty of the worst or that fact that such inaccurate bull**** is completely counterproductive to achieving the stated aim of more female leads.

It would be nice, for a change, to read an article that presented the results of a poll like the one in this thread. Something accurate, positive and, for once, fecking true.

I don't care
    Nobody is calling for censorship.
    From a technical perspective this is true, but not necessarily from a practical one. Let me explain what I mean with reference to a recent example: Doom.

People tend to have a fondness and nostalgia for the games that first gripped them, and for me Doom was it as far as the FPS genre was concerned (not that the genre really existed prior to it). So when a remake is being announced I get all teary-eyed as I recall fond memories about raytraced environments and utter mindless chaos. I wasn't at E3 for the trailer unveiling, but had I been I would have cheered as enthusiastically as anyone else. So let's say a hypothetical person says it is depressing that I found such a trailer, which featured bodies being ripped apart, worthy of cheering. This also person tells me that this sort of extreme violence shouldn't be considered normal, and that my excusing it by saying "it's fecking vidya!" and "it's fecking Doom!" is a problem.

In this purely hypothetical and totally-not-based-on-reality scenario, what exactly is this person asking? Telling me that Doom is a bad game and I should feel bad for wanting to play it... is...asking for what exactly? Sure, the phrase "I want Doom censored" never appears there, but I'm struggling to see much of a distinction between that and the practical outcome (including self-censorship) should such comments be heeded.
    People who don't make games still play and have responses to the ones they play and are free to articulate them, that's how criticism has and always will work.
    Generally this is perfectly true, but I think you making an assumption here that isn't always true.

Part of the backlash against certain 'criticism' is because it isn't 'criticism'. Playing a game and then giving us your thoughts is criticism and all thee well to you for doing that. Happy days. But those generating a backlash aren't doing that. Cherry-picking from an entire medium to push a dishonest narrative isn't 'criticism'. You could, I suppose, argue that applying 'critical theory' (one of the biggest misnomers I've ever seen) in this way constitutes criticism of wider society, but you would be hard-pressed to argue this has anything to do with critiquing games.

Maybe an analogy from a completely different topic would help clarify what I'm trying (and likely failing to say). The practice of cherry-picking from vidya to argue a narrative about sexism, violence, racism, ableism, whateverism, is as much criticism of vidya as cherry-picking from scientific research to argue a narrative about creationism.

I don't care
    Nobody is calling for characters to be 'shoehorned' into situations or contexts where they do not logically, historically or sensibly belong.

Wasn't that the basis of the whole recent Witcher mess though? It is unfortunately part of the wider debate outside of here and I'm thinking of mainstream press not some fringe group of lunatics on Reddit and part of a wider debate about "cultural imperialism" or "Do I get to object to stupid dudebro shooters when I'm not a player of them and a large market obviously exists that at least doesn't mind them existing?"

I don't care
    I think that pretty much sums it up unfortunately. :o

I mean, I can see the difficulty some publishers face in this respect. To take Life is Strange as an example again, this is a brief exchange between Michel Koch, the Co-Game Director and Art Director on the title, and a poster during their Reddit AMA. While it's great the guy has come away with a more positive outlook on the game, I can imagine publishers sitting there wondering how in the hell they're going to market the game to such a wider audience when it's being pitched to them.

The problem is marketing and it was ever thus once "big business" got involved in gaming. That's why I look forward to Battlefield 26.

I don't care
    Aimead wrote: »
    I’ll refrain from responding piecemeal since I think we actually agree on far more than we disagree on.The EEDAR research is a stronger case that not marketing a game harms its sales than for any issue that the gaming community has with female protagonists. Not marketing a game with a female lead and then having that game do badly is self-fulfilling prophecy. This is, to me at least, divorced from the gaming community at this point.
    With regards the EEDAR findings, that's pretty much it, yes. But look at how powerful that data can be when presented in such a manner. You have Naughty Dog, pretty much the jewel in Sony Worldwide Studios crown, being pushed to keep the lead female character off the cover in case it affects sales. It's utter madness and yet, that's the situation we're in due to the amount of risk/money involved in these projects and, unfortunately, the power marketing have in so much of the decision making process.
    I think we both agree that the ‘issue’ with female protagonists is a publisher one, and not indicative of the gaming community. I use Beyond: Two Souls as an example because, when the pre-ordering fest was in full swing, would-be buyers had little to go on. They hadn’t played a demo, and the biggest piece of information they had was that the gender of the lead character. I’m not trying to claim gender is what motivated the pre-orders, only that gender wasn’t a turn off. That the game itself was dull and boring and little more than an interactive movie with little gameplay doomed it, but that only became apparent after its release. To use your phrase with the second example – “Tomb Raider is massively successful because it's Tomb Raider, not because it has a female lead.”
    Not to disagree for the sake of it but to be fair, Beyond: Two Souls was promoted on the back of the massively impressive Kara Tech Demo and a pretty slick trailer with both Ellen Page and William Dafoe's names featuring prominently. The gender of the lead character would have paled in comparison to those factors when it came to pre-orders. The post release drop off was, as you correctly point out, more than likely due to the fact that the game itself wasn't great.
    Given that, and I think we both agree on this, the gaming community does not have (and I would argue never had) any problem with female protagonists, and given that (which I think we both agree on) the ‘issue’ here is one the publishers have….then why is not being reflected in the gaming press??? Most of what I read is insinuating that gaming is a cesspool of misogyny, sexism and hatred of women. If there were any truth to most of what has been published about my fellow gamers then it is almost quite the miracle that I haven’t been reaped at a gaming convention.
    This is where it gets tricky. I don't think any of us can say, with any reasonable level of certainly, what the "gaming community" does and does not want or think. As I've said before, look at the hatred towards DLC and distaste towards pre-ordering visible online and then look at the numbers for each. Look at the bile directed at Call of Duty's annual entries and FIFA's updates. Now look at their respective sales. There's an absolutely massive disconnect there. So, do I think the majority of the community have an issue with playing as a female protagonist? Most likely not but that doesn't mean I don't also think there's a large chunk of them out there that do. As nesf said above, you'll have that chunk and you'll probably also have a chunk who don't care so the safe bet, from a marketing perspective at least, is to go with the most common denominator.

As for the content you've been reading and the rest of your post, I'd regard that as being a completely separate issue, relating only tangentially at best. It's also one I'm rather sure we won't really agree on so I'd much prefer if we just stuck to the topic at hand. :)
    The problem is marketing and it was ever thus once "big business" got involved in gaming. That's why I look forward to Battlefield 26.
    Yup, you won't find any disagreement from me there. The post you quoted me from is probably the nicest thing I'll say about games related marketing in this particular context. :p

I don't care
    This is where it gets tricky. I don't think any of us can say, with any reasonable level of certainly, what the "gaming community" does and does not want or think.

Or if even "gaming community" is something that has much meaning. There's a lot of guff talked by both sides about this group but you're trying to make generalising statements about a group that has 3 game a year lads buying franchise refreshes on consoles with hardcore JRPG addicts importing games with people killing time occasionally with CandyCrush on their phones, with people who get upset about the wrong top speed for a Panzer III variant in a wargame.

You might as well be trying to make general statements about "sports fans," "readers" or "people who have watched a movie at some point in their lives." It's all column inches and ad view nonsense.

RPGs (PC) have been one of my staple genres for over 25 years. I've always been playing games that had female characters and often very interesting and good ones which makes it really weird to read about a lack of female characters in games (generally speaking) when really they're talking about a set of narrow AAA genres and a few big titles each year. There's never been a lack of good female characters in the small stuff, the problem is in the mass-marketed big budget games and I really wish the press would actually 1) Realise there's more than AAA and modern darling indie games and 2) The problem isn't "gamers" but the bean counters behind the budgets for those mass market efforts being hyper conservative and focused narrowly on certain segments of the US market (just look at the amount of crap Bioware games can stir up amongst "mainstreamers" and Bioware haven't really been pushing the progressive boat very much for a good number of years).

I don't care
    From a technical perspective this is true, but not necessarily from a practical one. Let me explain what I mean with reference to a recent example: Doom.

People tend to have a fondness and nostalgia for the games that first gripped them, and for me Doom was it as far as the FPS genre was concerned (not that the genre really existed prior to it). So when a remake is being announced I get all teary-eyed as I recall fond memories about raytraced environments and utter mindless chaos. I wasn't at E3 for the trailer unveiling, but had I been I would have cheered as enthusiastically as anyone else. So let's say a hypothetical person says it is depressing that I found such a trailer, which featured bodies being ripped apart, worthy of cheering. This also person tells me that this sort of extreme violence shouldn't be considered normal, and that my excusing it by saying "it's fecking vidya!" and "it's fecking Doom!" is a problem.

In this purely hypothetical and totally-not-based-on-reality scenario, what exactly is this person asking? Telling me that Doom is a bad game and I should feel bad for wanting to play it... is...asking for what exactly? Sure, the phrase "I want Doom censored" never appears there, but I'm struggling to see much of a distinction between that and the practical outcome (including self-censorship) should such comments be heeded.

I have no idea why you're obfuscating things here, just speak plainly, Anita Sarkeesian said it was depressing that people were cheering for bodies being ripped apart in the Doom trailer. She's entitled to her opinion and to express it, and you can either respond to that like an adult, or come up with this absolutely hysterical idea that if someone voices an opinion you don't like it's practically the same as censorship?! Come on, you know that's not rational, right? You're obviously a fairly intelligent person, you can't genuinely be saying that in practice someone's opinion is indistinct to censorship, can you?

Someone who wants to play Doom isn't some delicate little thing, this precious little flower that will wilt at the very thought of an opposing viewpoint, they certainly don't need to be sheltered from someone saying "This amount of violence isn't normal" and we know they're not afraid of controversy because they want to play Doom! If Doom can survive being called a murder simulator, being blamed for school shootings and all sorts of controversies, then it can certainly survive Anita thinking it's depressing. Give gamers a bit more credit than that.

Aside from that, trying to paint an opposing opinion as censorship could be considered a censoring tactic itself, you're mischaracterizing someone's opinion (and that's all Anita's views are, opinion) to the point that it's twisted into a threat. But the reality is that Anita's tweets from E3 are anything but threatening, quite the opposite in fact, controversy sells and she's doing Doom 4 such a great service that she may as well be a payed shill. Controversy sold a gigantic steaming turd like The Human Centipede to people, controversy duped people into buying Hatred, and a tweet from Anita is worth more than a load of 10/10 reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Atari Jaguar
    This seems relevant to this discussion - let me pluck the most relevant bullet point: 
    Both boys and girls aren’t more likely to play a game based on the gender of the protagonist

70% of girls said it doesn’t matter and 78% of boys said it doesn’t matter. Interestingly, boys care less about playing as a male character as they age and girls care more about playing as a female one.

For what it's worth, as I've gotten older, I find myself more likely to play as a female character.  My GTA Online Avatar is female and a strange handle like Shiminay means that plenty of people assume I'm a lady until I turn on my mic :)  It has never gotten me abuse, but it has always gotten me additional attention. Lots of guys turn up in their sports cars asking me to go for a spin with them...

I don't care
    I don't think any of us can say, with any reasonable level of certainly, what the "gaming community" does and does not want or think.
    Surely being part of that community for nearly two decades, attending numerous vidya-related events and having ploughed who knows how many hours into talking and interacting with many others within that community should be sufficient experience to offer a ‘reasonable’ level of confidence?

As for FIFA and CoD, people always like to ****-talk online. I have a mate who gets every FIFA release and all he does is complain about it…so…!? DLC is a trickier issue. Some DLC is blatant cash grab, but there is a lot of good content and good content will tend to sell well. For example, I’ve been a huge fan of Europa Universalis for a long time and some of its DLC is actually quite good. One DLC pack, Conquest of Paradise, allows you to randomise the new world. Playing the game on a map where half of it is different totally changes much of the dynamics of the game. It would be interesting to compare DLC sales in terms of quality, but that’s for another topic.
    ….I'd regard that as being a completely separate issue…
    I definitely think it feeds into this, and it certainly helps prop up a status quo most folks would like to see changed….
    I have no idea why you're obfuscating things here….
    To be frank I could just as easily turn that accusation back at yourself. Look at the context within which my comment was made. Saying “nobody is calling for censorship” isn’t quite true, and my comment was pointing that out. Just because an utterance is an opinion doesn’t automatically mean that pointing out that utterance’s logical consequence is ‘hysterical’.

Let me illustrate this with an analogy. If a person said “homesexuality/transgenderism/<insert LGBTQism here> isn’t natural ” then how would you interpret such a comment? Sure, you can say this is their opinion (ignorant as it may be) and defend their right to utter it – but it would be nonsense to claim it is hysterical for interpreting it as wanting SSM banned.

Let’s get real here. Saying “I don’t like game X” wouldn’t raise an eyebrow, but that’s not what we’re discussing. Branding game X, and those who play it, as ‘unnatural’ is even stronger than simply calling for game X to be b&.

When the claim, as was made ITT, that “nobody is calling for censorship” I think it is quite legitimate to point out that said claim isn’t quite accurate. How you get from my doing this to what you wrote I simply do not know. I don’t know what button of yours got pushed, and I certainly never intended to push it, and all I can really do right now is scratch my heading wondering ‘WTF?’.
    Shiminay wrote: »
    This seems relevant to this discussion
    This comment from the article baffles me: “ “If women are objectified like this it defeats the entire purpose of fighting,” Theo, an eighth-grader who loves playing Mortal Kombat, told us. “I would respect the [female] character more for having some dignity.”

That’s under 14 right? I’ve never met anyone that age who ever cared about identity politics while playing a fighting game. Is it just nostalgia-goggles or is everyone I know who are that age just completely unrepresentative??

More to the point, Jax was always my favourite with that big muscular chest of his – how come he isn’t singled out in the same way? When I read an article like that I think I’ve gone to cloud cuckoo land.

I don't care
    Surely being part of that community for nearly two decades, attending numerous vidya-related events and having ploughed who knows how many hours into talking and interacting with many others within that community should be sufficient experience to offer a ‘reasonable’ level of confidence?
    nesf summarised my reasoning perfectly on this subject above, the "gaming community" is simply far too large and way way too diverse to be able to get a singular reading on what they want or how they feel about certain things.
    As for FIFA and CoD, people always like to ****-talk online. I have a mate who gets every FIFA release and all he does is complain about it…so…!? DLC is a trickier issue. Some DLC is blatant cash grab, but there is a lot of good content and good content will tend to sell well. For example, I’ve been a huge fan of Europa Universalis for a long time and some of its DLC is actually quite good. One DLC pack, Conquest of Paradise, allows you to randomise the new world. Playing the game on a map where half of it is different totally changes much of the dynamics of the game. It would be interesting to compare DLC sales in terms of quality, but that’s for another topic.
    You misunderstand, I'm not referring to the quality of said content, I'm referring to the difference between the general consensus that one may observe from reading various websites, hanging out on forums or IRC channels and talking to people in real life and what actually happens at retail in the wider world.

To give you an example, remember the backlash against the Battlefield 3 Premium Pass? Practically everyone I came across via the above mediums hated the idea of it, read through the forums here and you'll see nothing but bile being directed at it. One could quite easily get the impression that the "gaming community" didn't want anything to do with it, right? At retail, however, EA made over $120m from it, selling more copies of it than most games could hope to shift in their lifetime. When that kind of disconnect is present on a practical level, imagine how much it'll be there when it comes to something like ones feelings on the characters they want to see and play as in games.

I don't care
    That’s under 14 right? I’ve never met anyone that age who ever cared about identity politics while playing a fighting game. Is it just nostalgia-goggles or is everyone I know who are that age just completely unrepresentative??

If you ask a leading question you can elicit that kind of response in that age group and younger. I'd like to see the survey questions and methodology, it didn't sound particularly well constructed as much as a series of question and answer soundbites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Atari Jaguar
    More to the point, Jax was always my favourite with that big muscular chest of his – how come he isn’t singled out in the same way? When I read an article like that I think I’ve gone to cloud cuckoo land.
    Obviously because attractive, buff, shirtless men are a power fantasy designed to appeal only to men. Women would never be interested in such characters.
    Sarcasm.

I don't care
    To give you an example, remember the backlash against the Battlefield 3 Premium Pass? Practically everyone I came across via the above mediums hated the idea of it, read through the forums here and you'll see nothing but bile being directed at it. One could quite easily get the impression that the "gaming community" didn't want anything to do with it, right? At retail, however, EA made over $120m from it, selling more copies of it than most games could hope to shift in their lifetime. When that kind of disconnect is present on a practical level, imagine how much it'll be there when it comes to something like ones feelings on the characters they want to see and play as in games.

An oldie but a goodie:

18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

I don't care
    To be frank I could just as easily turn that accusation back at yourself. Look at the context within which my comment was made. Saying “nobody is calling for censorship” isn’t quite true, and my comment was pointing that out. Just because an utterance is an opinion doesn’t automatically mean that pointing out that utterance’s logical consequence is ‘hysterical’.

Let me illustrate this with an analogy. If a person said “homesexuality/transgenderism/<insert LGBTQism here> isn’t natural ” then how would you interpret such a comment? Sure, you can say this is their opinion (ignorant as it may be) and defend their right to utter it – but it would be nonsense to claim it is hysterical for interpreting it as wanting SSM banned.

Let’s get real here. Saying “I don’t like game X” wouldn’t raise an eyebrow, but that’s not what we’re discussing. Branding game X, and those who play it, as ‘unnatural’ is even stronger than simply calling for game X to be b&.

When the claim, as was made ITT, that “nobody is calling for censorship” I think it is quite legitimate to point out that said claim isn’t quite accurate. How you get from my doing this to what you wrote I simply do not know. I don’t know what button of yours got pushed, and I certainly never intended to push it, and all I can really do right now is scratch my heading wondering ‘WTF?’.

Relax, you've not pushed any buttons, don't get so defensive. And no, you couldn't accuse me of obfuscation in turn, you were presenting a direct quote from Anita Sarkeesian as a hypothetical situation when it wasn't, that is what I am refering to. The context of what you were replying to was absolutely crystal clear, and the comment that nobody is calling for censorship is an accurate one by virtue of the fact that no censorship has been called for, only an opinion been made public. You state that censorship is the "logical consequence" of a certain opinion, but you over no logic or reason to support that statement whatsoever, it's a baseless claim and that is hysterical.

To indulge your tangent for a moment, if someone was to say being LGBT was unnatural, I would interpret that as them being an idiot.

Likewise, Anita saying that this level of violence shouldn't be considered normal, the sensible response is that of course it shouldn't be considered normal! The very point of it is that it is extraordinary, that it is abnormal, that it is ridiculous violence turned up to 11. Is that comment and it's like really the evidence you have for her opinion being tantamount to censorship? Is reading those words genuinely going to upset gamers so much that they're not just going to play Doom, all because someone else thinks it's abnormally violent? Are they really that senstive, really? You'd swear gamers were have shinking violet, half fainting goat considering what you feel the need to shelter them from. Ah, goatley...

Look, extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence, and if you're going to come along and make the claim that opinions you don't like are synonymous with censorship, then the onus is on you to provide that evidence. A logical conclusion needs to have some logic behind it. So yes, the comment that nobody is calling for censorship is accurate. You could have looked for evidence that people were advocating banning or censoring games if there was any, but instead you decided to try and convince people that if you used this kind of double-think, and that kind of quantum leap of logic, then you can interpret someone else speaking their mind as censorship. And that speaks volumes about your argument.

And as for getting real, Doom 4 isn't getting banned or censored as a direct result of a tweet from Anita Sarkeesian. The only direct result is that more copies are going to sell, because people are gonna preorder it just to spite her.

I don't care
    Battlefield 3 Premium Pass
    As a rule I’m generally skeptical of when the marketing department gives out figures in a scenario such as that. If the pass was so successful then why ****can it? Must have been a dent somewhere in the sales figures for them to scrap it. But we only have EA’s word for figures, so we’ll probably never know for sure.

Going to Google some figures and see if I can substantiate/disprove you thesis here, because at it stands I just don’t know. From experience I can think of examples both in favour and against, so I’m curious.

You state that censorship is the "logical consequence" of a certain opinion, but you over no logic or reason to support that statement whatsoever, it's a baseless claim and that is hysterical.
    Ignoring the blatant sidestep of the SSM analogy, how exactly is branding a game and its audience as ‘unnatural’ not an expression of wanting that game to be either banned or at least altered???? How is that not a direct logical consequence????

If someone says something like “SSM is unnatural” am I really being ‘hysterical’ for pointing out that the logical consequence of that is a ban on SSM????

To say I’m flabbergasted and imaging a certain Pulp Fiction scene right now would be an understatement. FFS if I’m playing vidya and I say something like “gee, this car doesn’t handle well” then isn’t it completely reasonable and logical to suppose that I want the car to handle better (or at least differently)??? If I am eating a meal and I say “that was a bit too salty” then isn’t it completely reasonable and logical to suppose that I would have wanted the meal to have been made with less salt??? If I say that Ronaldo is a spoiled petulant prick who lets his shoite demeanour ruin his game then then isn’t it completely reasonable and logical to suppose that I would prefer if Ronaldo huffed less and played more????

What the feck am I missing here??? I’m reading a huge hunk of assumption-laden strawman right now and not seeing the connection with what I actually said.

<SamualLJackson.jpg>

I don't care
    Ignoring the blatant sidestep of the SSM analogy, how exactly is branding a game and its audience as ‘unnatural’ not an expression of wanting that game to be either banned or at least altered???? How is that not a direct logical consequence????

If someone says something like “SSM is unnatural” am I really being ‘hysterical’ for pointing out that the logical consequence of that is a ban on SSM????

To say I’m flabbergasted and imaging a certain Pulp Fiction scene right now would be an understatement. FFS if I’m playing vidya and I say something like “gee, this car doesn’t handle well” then isn’t it completely reasonable and logical to suppose that I want the car to handle better (or at least differently)??? If I am eating a meal and I say “that was a bit too salty” then isn’t it completely reasonable and logical to suppose that I would have wanted the meal to have been made with less salt??? If I say that Ronaldo is a spoiled petulant prick who lets his shoite demeanour ruin his game then then isn’t it completely reasonable and logical to suppose that I would prefer if Ronaldo huffed less and played more????

What the feck am I missing here??? I’m reading a huge hunk of assumption-laden strawman right now and not seeing the connection with what I actually said.

<SamualLJackson.jpg>

I responded to your analogy, I said I'd think someone claiming being LGBT is unnatural is an idiot. That's a perfectly clear response, is it not? Or did you want me to agree with you that someone saying something I don't like is the same as banning something? Because I didn't think it needed saying that opinion is not synonymous with censorship, I illustrated that in depth in the rest of my post.

Or to be as clear about it as possible, people say that being gay is unnatural all the time, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it. It's a whole different ball game when someone is bringing a case to the high court challenging the results of the marriage referendum. Expressing and opinion about LGBT people is a different thing entirely than actively making efforts to ban same sex marriage, one is not a direct logical consequence of the other, it's absurd to suggest otherwise.

Maybe we'll make an analogy!
    If I am eating a meal and I say “that was a bit too salty”

WHA!?WHYDOYOUWANNABANSALT!?!?! :mad:

There you go, that's a strawman! :pac:

<Raiden'sButt.gif>

• Advertisement

I don't care
    As a rule I’m generally skeptical of when the marketing department gives out figures in a scenario such as that. If the pass was so successful then why ****can it? Must have been a dent somewhere in the sales figures for them to scrap it. But we only have EA’s word for figures, so we’ll probably never know for sure.

Going to Google some figures and see if I can substantiate/disprove you thesis here, because at it stands I just don’t know. From experience I can think of examples both in favour and against, so I’m curious.
    The figures to go by aren't those released by the marketing department, they're the ones made available during their quarterly and annual financial reports and as such, carry considerably more weight. Here's the source for the 3.5m subs and $120m figures. Here's the press release for the next quarter where they actually exceed that figure and break 4m subs.

Also, they didn't scrap it, there was a Premium pass for Battlefield 4 too. As part of the EA Q3 FY14 presentation call, EA CEO, Andrew Wilson, stated it had sold over 1.6m copies. I can't find the actual release for it but there are a couple of articles around the web on the subject. At that point sales were on par with those for the BF3 Premium Pass. Battlefield Hardline also has a Premium Pass but as far as I'm aware, it hasn't appeared in the financials yet.

As for attempting to prove or disprove my thesis, there's a myriad of examples you could use. You could stick with the Battlefield Premium Pass numbers or you could use the FIFA Ultimate Team revenue figures ($380m in FY14 alone) or the various Call of Duty map pack numbers over the various iterations. In each case you'll have a situation where the wider "gaming community" will express disdain for the individual practices, yet in each case the companies involved are still making extraordinarily large amounts of money due to their popularity.

Advertisement