Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full-time Irish-medium crèche in Dublin?

Options
  • 18-06-2015 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I'm having no luck in finding an Irish-speaking childminder so I'm now looking more closely for a full-time Irish-medium crèche in south Dublin that will take a baby now for the entire day just as most English-medium crèches do.

As far as I can gather, I will have to wait until the child is three, and then the local naíonra will only provide a few morning hours before the child will have to change to some other care until we get home. We're just looking for a place which will take the child from 8 to 5 or so for five days a week. I'm more than a little surprised that there is not a single one given the increasing number of gaelscoileanna in this area so I must be missing some place.

Would anybody have any suggestions? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I don't think you'll find any. Naoinra are about the height of it. I'd say the demand for such a service is very low. And the cost of hiring specific language speakers would be prohibitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I'm having no luck in finding an Irish-speaking childminder so I'm now looking more closely for a full-time Irish-medium crèche in south Dublin that will take a baby now for the entire day just as most English-medium crèches do.

As far as I can gather, I will have to wait until the child is three, and then the local naíonra will only provide a few morning hours before the child will have to change to some other care until we get home. We're just looking for a place which will take the child from 8 to 5 or so for five days a week. I'm more than a little surprised that there is not a single one given the increasing number of gaelscoileanna in this area so I must be missing some place.

Would anybody have any suggestions? Thank you.

You could perhaps put an add on schooldays.ie and rollercoaster specifying you are looking for a fluent Irish speaking minder?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are a few childminders but no cheches.
    I looked:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

westwood sandymount i think :)

I just found this and thought of OP!

http://www.rollercoaster.ie/Childcare/ViewChildcare/tabid/173/ChildcareAdvert/40405/Default.aspx

Now I havent a bloody notion what it says as I don't speak Irish myself. But I saw the word Creche and Gaeilge. Lol. Hope it's of some use :).

• Advertisement

Whoops!!!! And I'm just after seeing it's wanted not offered!!! Very sorry Op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Whoops!!!! And I'm just after seeing it's wanted not offered!!! Very sorry Op

No probs. That's not mine although I put one up in a few places online - to no avail yet. We paid a deposit for a place in an English-language crèche just to have something but we're willing to forego that deposit if we find somebody with the Irish.

Best of luck OP. I'm currently scouring the internet trying to find a childminder for September. So if I see anything I will post again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Contact South Dublin County Childcare Committee or Dun Laoghaire CCC and Childminding Ireland.

They will be able to tell you

Advertisement