Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Race Series 5 Mile

Options
  • 18-06-2015 8:16pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am surprised there is not a thread on this yet. A quick question, anybody get the race pack for this yet..? I was hoping to have it by now so the Mrs could add it to the kids gifts for me for Fathers day on Sunday. I registered for all the Race Series and the marathon about 2 weeks ago. Only one post day left before fathers day so I hope I get it tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Dub13 wrote: »
    I am surprised there is not a thread on this yet. A quick question, anybody get the race pack for this yet..? I was hoping to have it by now so the Mrs could add it to the kids gifts for me for Fathers day on Sunday. I registered for all the Race Series and the marathon about 2 weeks ago. Only one post day left before fathers day so I hope I got it tomorrow.
    Nothing yet for me,they said posted out 7-10 days before so i expected it by now,hopefully tomorrow. :confused:
    I have a feeling numbers will be down again on other years despite the great value due to a hideously congested race calendar. Also some people don't seem to want to do any race with a bit of a hill in it and are always looking for a PB course possibly. Back about 2007ish this place would be hopping before all the race series events but no longer it seems...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The Mrs just text me, looks like the pack came today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Aye, mine landed this morning too.
    Or presumably that's what the text saying "Package here from Donore Harriers for you" meant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

My friend got his this morning so hoping mine is on the way. 8 days! All excited, atm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Mine came this morning too. Very excited! I'm doing the whole series (except marathon)

I started this thread on the series a while ago:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94448622

I think if you're into running and live in Dublin that it's mad not to do the race series. Well organised and fantastic value. You're getting all this for just €65! including a a half!

B_HgI-MWwAEWX_-.jpg

• Advertisement

Pink11 wrote: »
    Mine came this morning too. Very excited! I'm doing the whole series (except marathon)

YET!

It's a super event, even if 2 out of 4 races didn't agree with me last year it was my first attempt at them all and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Received numbers today.

Quick question.
    Are race numbers issued completely randomly or does your result from last year have any influence on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

This'll be my first 5 mile race, looking forward to it! Also looking forward to demolishing the hill at the end that nearly broke me in last year's Race Series 10 mile and Half Marathon :)

Quick question. Are race numbers issued completely randomly or does your result from last year have any influence on it?

My guess is random or down to when you register.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

aquinn wrote: »
    My guess is random or down to when you register.

It's ordered on when you register. I was quick to sign up when the website opened for business and got #14 for all of the race series!

• Advertisement

Singer wrote:
    It's ordered on when you register. I was quick to sign up when the website opened for business and got #14 for all of the race series!

Thanks. Now easily stalked. Can't post smile on phone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Received numbers today.

Quick question.
    Are race numbers:confused: issued completely randomly or does your result from last year have any influence on it?

What number did you get? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

I've signed up for the 10 miler and the half-marathon for €35. Great value when you consider that a half marathon alone would cost that much. I'm not sure if I'll be available for stewarding on 27 June for the 5 miler but might volunteer to help out with the 10k in July.

I think the congested fixture list has weighed heavily on many races. The difficult hill in this course should be embraced as great way of preparing for and appreciating the flat road races out there.

I think the running boom is nearing an end as the economy picks up, e.g. people working longer hours, so less free time. Similarly running only requires a pair of runners, i.e. cheap enough and no-one can sell you thousands worth of equipment, but once the corporate sports/social budgets start increasing there'll be everything from paintball to golf for many people. Similarly, once more people get back into the workforce the non-sporting factors start to kick in, e.g. they can meet after work for a few scoops on a Friday night once again. (Good for everyone's bank balance and for the publicans but not good for races on Saturday mornings).

I really hope the race series continues to be viable. I gather that it was originally intended as a "gateway drug" for the Dublin Marathon, a marathon which is quite traditional in not having a half-marathon or relay marathon extras ran within the same event. It'd be a shame if the Dublin Marathon folded in some of these events into the main race. Hopefully the race series will become a settled part of the running calendar: some of its constituent parts, e.g. the ex-Civil Service Harriers Frank Duffy race, have venerable traditions of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I've signed up for the 10 miler and the half-marathon for €35. Great value when you consider that a half marathon alone would cost that much. I'm not sure if I'll be available for stewarding on 27 June for the 5 miler but might volunteer to help out with the 10k in July.

I think the congested fixture list has weighed heavily on many races. The difficult hill in this course should be embraced as great way of preparing for and appreciating the flat road races out there.

I think the running boom is nearing an end as the economy picks up, e.g. people working longer hours, so less free time. Similarly running only requires a pair of runners, i.e. cheap enough and no-one can sell you thousands worth of equipment, but once the corporate sports/social budgets start increasing there'll be everything from paintball to golf for many people. Similarly, once more people get back into the workforce the non-sporting factors start to kick in, e.g. they can meet after work for a few scoops on a Friday night once again. (Good for everyone's bank balance and for the publicans but not good for races on Saturday mornings).

I really hope the race series continues to be viable. I gather that it was originally intended as a "gateway drug" for the Dublin Marathon, a marathon which is quite traditional in not having a half-marathon or relay marathon extras ran within the same event. It'd be a shame if the Dublin Marathon folded in some of these events into the main race. Hopefully the race series will become a settled part of the running calendar: some of its constituent parts, e.g. the ex-Civil Service Harriers Frank Duffy race, have venerable traditions of their own.

With estabilished clubs like Dunboyne & St Cocas having races in the two days prior to the 5 miler, the numbers were going to be down this year. The numbers in the race series have been falling the past few years as you say because of a saturated race calendar, nothing can be done about that i'm afraid, people will vote with there feet where to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Forgot about this one. Is it to late to register?

Forgot about this one. Is it to late to register?

Yes, you had to register by the 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Yes, you had to register by the 12th.

Just seen that a few moments ago. Hope to get the other 3 in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I did see someone on some social media site say that they had missed the deadline, so contacted the office, and they were able to register. Might be worth a shot?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    I did see someone on some social media site say that they had missed the deadline, so contacted the office, and they were able to register. Might be worth a shot?

Definitely. Try and get in touch asap today. You might still be able to. Especially if you ask to pick up the number yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I'm in! Second time running this race and looking forward to it!

• Advertisement

CatrionaMckiernan20150527_0002.jpg

I'm guessing the above is the top we'll get?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Pink11 wrote: »
    I'm guessing the above is the top we'll get?
    Looks like the same crappy material they used last year...

fletch wrote: »
    Looks like the same crappy material they used last year...

Unfortunately looks that way which means I've been complaining to the wrong person. Had really hoped of a decent top and material.

Unfortunately looks that way which means I've been complaining to the wrong person. Had really hoped of a decent top and material.
    Bit of a poor decision IMO...the 2013 t-shirts were really nice designs and excellent quality/fitting and as a result, I wear them all the time (so free advertising for the Race Series) I also see lots of other people wearing them.
    I hardly ever see anyone wearing the 2014 t-shirts, mine are in a bag never worn, ready to go to a charity shop.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I like the T-shirts from last year. I wear them all the time myself. Don't see anything wrong with them. The 5 mile one was not great but apart from that they are fine.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I like the T-shirts from last year. I wear them all the time myself. Don't see anything wrong with them. The 5 mile one was not great but apart from that they are fine.

Even the shocking Fingal 10km one?

Personally I find them very heavy/warm and loosely fitting (accept I'm not the biggest of guys but even S hangs off me)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Even the shocking Fingal 10km one?

No, didn't do that. The 10 Mile and Half Marathon ones were good. Only T-shirts at the end of the day though.

adrian522 wrote: »
    No, didn't do that. The 10 Mile and Half Marathon ones were good. Only T-shirts at the end of the day though.
    Only a t-shirt, do you not know me at all? :D:D:D

The glory and joy of being able to wear it, this doesn't work when it is too big, unflattering and rubs :p

• Advertisement

Only a t-shirt, do you not know me at all? :D:D:D

The glory and joy of being able to wear it, this doesn't work when it is too big, unflattering and rubs :p

I'm the same. Let's just hope this was a once off printed for the photoshoot ages ago :eek:

This top will be absolutely no good to me if I can't wear it running. May as well put it in the bin.

Agree on the sizes. Really makes me appreciate the lovely tech top I got at Docklands 5k last week. Great organisation and event. We even had an XS option. If the size 'small' in these tops are sloppy on men, it's really lousy on the ladies!

I'm really curious to see the rock n roll tops. They have female ones. It's only fair!

Advertisement