Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Race Series 5 Mile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Half-Marathon-3.jpg

everybody looking happy with a NICE race series half t-shirt.....

I was running beside the charles river in boston wearing it when some yank shouted "nice t-shirt man!" and he then said to his buddy "I ran that, best Tee I ever got, Dublin man!"

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Half-Marathon-3.jpg

everybody looking happy with a NICE race series half t-shirt.....

I was running beside the charles river in boston wearing it when some yank shouted "nice t-shirt man!" and he then said to his buddy "I ran that, best Tee I ever got, Dublin man!"

He could've meant "Dublin, Ohio". I've had a few "oh there's a St Petersburg in Europe too ... " type conversations on the other side of the pond.

Still though, the 2013 technical t-shirts were eminently wearable. In fact the race series had pretty good sizes/fittings for quite a number of years. Here's one from 2009, (back in the days when I flew rather than ran - a unique wingless form of propulsion in which my feet didn't touch the ground).

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

He could've meant "Dublin, Ohio". I've had a few "oh there's a St Petersburg in Europe too ... " type conversations on the other side of the pond.

Still though, the 2013 technical t-shirts were eminently wearable. In fact the race series had pretty good sizes/fittings for quite a number of years. Here's one from 2009, (back in the days when I flew rather than ran - a unique wingless form of propulsion in which my feet didn't touch the ground).

The fact that he owns the same t-shirt, stating Dublin 2013 half marathon with a nice picture of the phoenix park skyline in a distinctive colour.... Must have been OHIO alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Cool, thanks for that. Fingal black and not horrible orange.
    What's that stupid symbol on all of them?

• Advertisement

The fact that he owns the same t-shirt, stating Dublin 2013 half marathon with a nice picture of the phoenix park skyline in a distinctive colour.... Must have been OHIO alright :D

Ah if he was wearing it grand so. I thought he was just chatting with his friend. I've sometimes been in a race, on the 4th or 5th mile, and seen a guy flying down the 7th or 8th mile of the course in the opposite direction. Inevitably he'll be wearing something like "MurderDeathKill Ultra 1,001 mile race 2010", and almost inevitably a guy beside me will pipe up "oh, loved that t-shirt. Got three of them myself, but preferred the Ultra a year later in 2011 when they let the rhinos chase us. Still wear the 2010 shirt when I'm out wrestling grizzly bears as part of my weight training".

aquinn wrote: »

Looking left to right along the upward-moving symbols, I think we evolve from amoeba type creatures into some sort of wheel-bearing cyborgs.

Looking left to right along the upward-moving symbols, I think we evolve from amoeba type creatures into some sort of wheel-bearing cyborgs.

Oh how terribly sexy. Can't wait to wear this so!

Asics are sponsoring it, does that not give any hope of decent tshirts? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I think I've finally spoken to someone who is even more passionate than I am about the free tech tops I collect from races :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Pink11 wrote: »

I'm really curious to see the rock n roll tops. They have female ones. It's only fair!

I LOVE the 2013 Rock,n,Roll t-shirt. It was by Brooks, the women's XS was the same size as an XS Brooks t shirt you'd by in a shop, nice neckline and everything, and it was a great, hi-viz, lime green colour. I wear it a lot, esp for night time races in winter.

that, the samsung long sleeve and the Pride Run t shirts (which also come in XS but I think they are kids' rather than women's) are the only race t shirts I ever wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Looking forward to running the race series again! did them all last year apart from the 5 mile as I left it too late to register. Got a pb in the 5 mile the year before. wonder if I can beat it :confused:

I like some of the tshirts, apart from the orange 10k one from 2 years ago I think, which is like running in a shift dress (I've worn it once).

Hoping this humidity fecks off by Saturday morning! Which it probably wont.

Joleigh wrote: »
    Looking forward to running the race series again! did them all last year apart from the 5 mile as I left it too late to register. Got a pb in the 5 mile the year before. wonder if I can beat it :confused:

I like some of the tshirts, apart from the orange 10k one from 2 years ago I think, which is like running in a shift dress (I've worn it once).

There you are, you've been MIA for a while. Hope all is well.

So, what are we all wearing on Sat? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

There you are, you've been MIA for a while. Hope all is well.

So, what are we all wearing on Sat? :D

Hi aquinn!!!

Hope all is well with you.

I've been keeping up the training since the marathon, just maintaining through the winter really. I did the raheny 5 mile and the Sonia 5k. Now that the race series has started, I'm back on the boards buzz!

I will be sporting a new penneys running vest top (€6, nice and light, bargain) and my old reliable not too short brooks shorts. Badly need new runners. Just need to make time to go and find a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Joleigh wrote: »

Me too! Absolutely dying with hayfever in training and struggled at the docklands 5k last week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Shakakan

So I've seen the "H" word mentioned here and there...
    Is this going to be a hilly route? (or what would be considered hilly by someone who's hoping to do it around 48 minutes)

Shakakan wrote: »
    So I've seen the "H" word mentioned here and there...
    Is this going to be a hilly route? (or what would be considered hilly by someone who's hoping to do it around 48 minutes)

Do you know the Phoenix Park at all or head of the S bends? If not the S bends are the hills, tough going most days but not all. On the Map mile 2 is going down Kyber which is a hill, or long drag if you run up. As you turn at the bottom of this you start to climb and really continue to do so if memory serves.
    http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/SSE-AT-DRS15-IR5M-MAP.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck to all those running this tomorrow....ENJOY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Really looking forward to this

Not mad about the t-shirts for this one though. Same gacky green as last year, judging by the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJxJaFD3mGk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

2900 approx finishers, has the 5 mile run its course?
    44 mins for halfway down the field so will compare that to previous years but it was always the fun run event of the series.

The half I would expect will continue to keep series viable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I'm sure 3,500+ people signed up. Increased competition on the racing front. Still a very big number in my opinion. Every race survives by having a balance between faster club runners and 'fun' runners as you say. A place for everyone, especially in a shorter, more approachable race like the 5 miler.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

The 5 mile is always the quietest of the race series runs.

Great race. Superbly well organised as usual. Bit slower than usual though but i'll put that down to the heat.

T-shirt quality is better than last year although the colour is gack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

That heat. Jaysus Mary and Joseph :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Decent conditions today. Got around just under 3930 and 5 mins off a PB but enjoyed the trip and didn't blow up too early(how could i -going at that pace!!):o
    At least i didn't cut the first corner like several-(what's the point??)
    Mug is decent and something that can be used,one of the best things yet to get.t-shirt is ok but at this stage i would have preferred a coton one insted of a middle of the road polyseter job as i have probaly 40 of them and nearly all are better quality but not complaining.
    Numbers are back at 2008 levels now which is good in one sense as less traffic to contend with. As someone who lives beside the park there is way too many races there now IMO,i think the race series,GI Run,Donore and Aware Races are plenty for a year.
    5 Mile Finishers-
    2007-2350
    2008-2905
    2009-4437
    2010-4866
    2011-5095
    2012-4044
    2013-4038
    2014-3103
    2015-2913

• Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

2900 approx finishers, has the 5 mile run its course?
    ? Still the largest 5 mile in the country by some distance, AFAIK. The years of 5000+ entrants were more likely the anomaly than the current entrant numbers

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I really enjoyed the race today! PB'd by two minutes and ran the whole course, even the hills. :D The heat was bad but I made the most of shade when I got it, and for once in my life was grateful for the wind! Highlight of the race was seeing deer running alongside the route!

Well organized race! Thanks to all the cheering marshals and volunteers! Great race, great atmosphere! 10/10 would run again!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Auntie Matter

This was my favourite race last year because it was the first one where I felt like a “real runner” on account of the good atmosphere, great organisation and the welcome given to the “back of the pack” runners. I was really looking forward to this year’s race and to bettering last year’s time.

My preparation wasn’t the best, however. I was in bits the week after the Cork Half, so did nothing that week, then the following week I got only one run in before getting a PB at the Sonia 5K. Not much running after that as I went off to Reykjavik for a week of sightseeing, partying and for the first time ever for me on holidays, a race.

A Midnight Sun Run has taken place in Reykjavik shortly after the summer solstice for quite a few years now. There’s a choice of 3 distances - 5K, 10K and half marathon. The first race starts at 9.20 pm but of course, it’s broad daylight there round the clock this time of year. Decided to give the 5K a go but was not expecting much, due to the effects of the previously-mentioned partying. A great fun event, suitable for the serious runners as well as families, fun-runners and plodders like myself. Quite a few tourists taking part too. My Samsung Night Run top got a few interested looks. Course was lovely and flat around the Laugadalur park (this is where the national stadium is located, among other sports facilities). Basic entry was priced reasonably enough with the option to pay extra for a medal and tech tops were on sale at number collection. All I wanted was to finish the race without walking, but I shocked myself by getting a very unexpected PB!

Anyway, back to Dublin…slept very badly last night and woke up feeling dehydrated, even though I had drank quite a bit of water yesterday. Forgot to bring sun cream this morning and only brought a small bottle of water - two mistakes not to be repeated this summer!

I was wearing my Reykjavik top and was spotted by another runner wearing the top from last year’s race and who was rather surprised to see another one in Dublin.

Started well, fast but not too fast, or so I thought. Passed This Fat Girl Runs and said hello (I was the blonde one in the orange top shortly after the start). All going OK till 2.5 miles and the hill. Things started going badly then when I had to walk a bit at that stage. I haven’t walked in a race for nearly a year now, including a half marathon, so I was well annoyed with myself. The level of water in my bottle was rapidly decreasing and I thought I’d never get to the water station. Walked while drinking the water, then picked up the pace and ran OK the rest of the way.

I’d been hoping to get under the hour but finished in 1.02.xx, which is a PB for me, but only 40 seconds improvement on last year’s time, even though I had to walk more last year and also got caught in the heavy rain shower near the end. Can’t complain too much though - it was my fourth race this month, I’ve been taking it easy training since the Cork half and after my unexpectedly good run in Reykjavik, it would have been jam on it to do a good run today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Auntie Matter

Forgot to say that the mug was nice - the first and possibly last time I'll get a cup at a running race! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

An enjoyable, well organised race today but a little bit on the warm on the side. I prefer this race with the smaller field as things are a little bit easier at the start and finish, at the baggage area the numbers seemed to go up to 4500. I liked the tshirt and mug. I always enjoy the commentator but I thought he was a bit tough on Mick Clohissey referring to him as a hippy.

Got home in 31.02, plan was to aim for even splits but that didn't happen. Went of harder than planned, the first two miles were both under 6mins, held things together round the sbends for mile 3 in 6.14 and then struggled on the upper glen road but pulled things back a bit in the home stretch.

Considering the level of training I've done this year through injury, I'll take that, looking forward to the 10k in Swords

• Advertisement

Forgot to say that the mug was nice - the first and possibly last time I'll get a cup at a running race! :-)

Consider yourself lucky. I think I once got a voucher for ShockAbsorber, so not even a cup - just a voucher.

Advertisement