Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Race Series 5 Mile

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I got a PB by a full 4 seconds, although its a distance I have only raced 3 times. I was much happier with my run this year as last year I went out like a bat out of hell (actually set a 5k pb) for the first couple of miles then hung on for life. This year a much more controlled race which is good, its a tough course.

Dublin Race Series 5 mile 2014 37:30
    Rahney Shamrocks 5 Mile Jan 38:07
    Dublin Race Series 5 mile 37:26

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I just posted my race report! A detailed report is on my blog and the highlights are here on my training log or I can cut and paste the highlights here too if that's easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

Did anybody else see the guy running this today wearing the black balaclava/ski mask? He passed me by and I had to do a double take as I've never seen anything like it. In light of what happened in Tunisia and France this week I thought it was really bizarre/stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

• Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Kop On wrote: »
    Did anybody else see the guy running this today wearing the black balaclava/ski mask? He passed me by and I had to do a double take as I've never seen anything like it. In light of what happened in Tunisia and France this week I thought it was really bizarre/stupid.
    What? None of the attackers in Tunisia or France were even wearing balaclavas

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

28064212 wrote: »
    What? None of the attackers in Tunisia or France were even wearing balaclavas

I'm sure you can use your imagination.

Anyway, maybe it was just me but I found it very odd to see someone wearing it in the heat yesterday, unless of course it's something really light to actually shield from the sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

I have a couple of small things that grated on me yesterday.
    With exactly 2k to go, we passed a steward who was roaring "one mile to go". That's not on. In the bunch that were around me it caused a fair bit of confusion until myself and another lad reassured everyone that there was 2k left.
    Also, at the end I stood at the water table knocking back water like there was no tomorrow. I'd down a cup and hold it out for more, with a face like a beetroot and gasping for air. It wasn't like it was overly busy and I was holding anybody up, but on my third refill (of a teeny cup) the woman half filled it and gave me a look that said "you've had your lot you greedy bitch". Thought that was a bit mean tbh.

All in all though, it was a great day. Well marahalled, well laid out, fab route (though ye might knock the top off a few of them hills for next year) and the finish area was good and big with loads of space.

My complaint is that the print on the mug is off centre. It does nothing for my love of symmetry :pac:

Also it says 5 miler for yesterday's race. And 10 mile for, well, the 10 mile.

I like things just so. My mug is not just so.

/fussy bitch

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

My complaint is that the print on the mug is off centre. It does nothing for my love of symmetry :pac:

Also it says 5 miler for yesterday's race. And 10 mile for, well, the 10 mile.

I like things just so. My mug is not just so.

/fussy bitch

:D

You need to go and re-arrange something before your ocd kicks in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Really enjoyed this. Not a pb, but just 30 secs off, which I was happy enough with in the heat. Felt I ran ok and the hills didn't seem to bad. Those weekly Howth summit runs must be paying off! Well done to all who ran! Thanks to KennyG and Mrs KennyG for the lift there and MrsKillerz for the lift home. dubGal was that you in the last half mile shouting my position to me? If so, thank you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Just ran this for enjoyment, I haven't trained for any races in yonks. 36:13 was reasonable considering, I told a mate at the start I would be happy with 35 or 36. Very warm for racing anyways.
    I didn't look at the watch at all, but made it my business to finish ahead of one guy in particular - a tall chap in a blue FITMagazine.ie top who cut across me and numerous others I noticed. Especially considering he wasn't anywhere near winning a prize, it was poor form. I confess a big smile crossed my face as I left Mr NotSoFitMagazine trailing :)
    Only boardsies I spotted at the finish were adrian522 and HelenAnne, but I wasn't stopping, as I had to go home and get ready to undo any good work from the race, at a friend's stags in Kilkenny :eek:

I actually haven't signed up to any more races as I type. I'm considering the Tullamore HM though, and will make a call on it in the next week or two. If there's another Clontarf HM in November, I'll most likely give that a bash. Well done to all yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Agreed with you all. Very well organised race. I was really impressed. I thought the cup was a nice touch. Gutted about the top, it's heavy just as suspected. aquinn what's your professional verdict?

Can't believe you were given a filthy look for asking for more water though. That was crazy.

Heat was a killer so can't believe I managed a sub 40. I found it pretty tough - mainly because of the heat and of course, those hills.... just as bad as I remember. Think all the twists and turns make them even more soul destroying!

My game plan was to keep nice and steady till I hit the hills, slowed down while on those and then tried to use what was left in the tank for the last mile or so. Pretty pleased that I got it right... for once!

Did anyone see a guy at the finish line having a major bust up with one of the stewards? All I heard him say was 'I CAN DO WHATEVER I LIKE, IT'S A FREE COUNTRY' and the steward was trying to calm him down and said something like 'do you really feel the need to make this much of a scene?'. No idea what happened but the runner giving abuse seemed OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I just posted my race report! A detailed report is on my blog and the highlights are here on my training log or I can cut and paste the highlights here too if that's easier?

I'd love to read your blog. Would you mind linking it? (sorry if you've posted it already)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Pink11 wrote: »
    I'd love to read your blog. Would you mind linking it? (sorry if you've posted it already)

Thanks! I don't think I'm allowed to post it in a thread but it's linked in my profile. :) Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Pink11 wrote: »
    Agreed with you all. Very well organised race. I was really impressed. I thought the cup was a nice touch. Gutted about the top, it's heavy just as suspected. aquinn what's your professional verdict?

Great race but tough going in the heat but delighted I stuck with it and finished strong(ish). At least I didn't puke like I thought I would and it was lovely to have a breeze on the home stretch.

T shirt, obviously mad colour, at least the date is correct on this years and the quality is better anyway. Sizing of course could be better but progress on last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Good organisation and atmosphere, as per usual with the Race Series. Disappointed with my own run, around 20 seconds slower than in last year's race, but the warm, humid weather makes for a convenient scapegoat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Great well organised race as always, and a two min PB for me. Actually ran 5.1 miles according to my Garmin.
    I would have only one complaint and that was I thought the water station was too far into the race, could have done with it a bit further back maybe just at the top of Milatry hill before the S bends, maybe it was just because of the heat but I was gasping for water and actually thought at one stage there would be none at all.
    Haven't seen anyone else mention it so maybe it was just me who thought this! I reckon the water station was at about 3.5 miles.

Casey78 wrote: »
    Great well organised race as always, and a two min PB for me. Actually ran 5.1 miles according to my Garmin.
    I would have only one complaint and that was I thought the water station was too far into the race, could have done with it a bit further back maybe just at the top of Milatry hill before the S bends, maybe it was just because of the heat but I was gasping for water and actually thought at one stage there would be none at all.
    Haven't seen anyone else mention it so maybe it was just me who thought this! I reckon the water station was at about 3.5 miles.

Hello! Still running anyway. You missed our reunion at the finish.
    No I thought/hoped that the water station would be at the bottom of Khyber and was devastated it wasn't. It was a long slog until it finally appeared so was tough going. I ran 5.06 miles but watch and official time are identical.

aquinn wrote: »
    Hello! Still running anyway. You missed our reunion at the finish.
    No I thought/hoped that the water station would be at the bottom of Khyber and was devastated it wasn't. It was a long slog until it finally appeared so was tough going. I ran 5.06 miles but watch and official time are identical.

Hello! Didn't know there was a reunion!
    Yeah even at the bottom of Khyber would have been great. I know it was only a 5 miler but with the heat it could have done with even two water stations.
    You doing the Marathon this year?

Hello! Didn't know there was a reunion!
    Yeah even at the bottom of Khyber would have been great. I know it was only a 5 miler but with the heat it could have done with even two water stations.
    You doing the Marathon this year?

Dubgal and BG were our cheering. Anna and Murph_D were also running. Firedance came to cheer us along too but was distracted dog sitting so also met our sweaty heaps at the finish, as did Adrian522 who was out for a casual 18m run.
    I, foolishly, left water at bag drop and would normally race with it but thought the breeze would save me.
    I'm starting a plan on Monday hopefully to get me ready for the half so we'll see how that goes :D, never say never. Are you? Am signed up for the race series to the half anyway.

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    Dubgal and BG were our cheering. Anna and Murph_D were also running. Firedance came to cheer us along too but was distracted dog sitting so also met our sweaty heaps at the finish, as did Adrian522 who was out for a casual 18m run.
    I, foolishly, left water at bag drop and would normally race with it but thought the breeze would save me.
    I'm starting a plan on Monday hopefully to get me ready for the half so we'll see how that goes :D, never say never. Are you? Am signed up for the race series to the half anyway.

No not this year. Going to do all of the race series and the Clontarf half in November and then give the Marathon another go in 3016.

2016 even! Doubt I'll be able for it when I'm 137!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this. Not a pb, but just 30 secs off, which I was happy enough with in the heat. Felt I ran ok and the hills didn't seem to bad. Those weekly Howth summit runs must be paying off! Well done to all who ran! Thanks to KennyG and Mrs KennyG for the lift there and MrsKillerz for the lift home. dubGal was that you in the last half mile shouting my position to me? If so, thank you!!

Well done on a tough day and fourth in your category, fantastic! Yes that was me, well spotted missus in the haze of the last half mile :) You must have finished in the top 15 overall? Better and better!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Kop On wrote: »
    Didn't see him on the day but he showed up in some pics...odd
    353573.jpg

fletch wrote: »
    Didn't see him on the day but he showed up in some pics...odd
    353573.jpg

If you search his bib number the name is a female name. Maybe that's why he wore the mask? He obviously used someone else's bib number.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

2016 even! Doubt I'll be able for it when I'm 137!

Think you'll be a bit over 137 come 3016.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Think you'll be a bit over 137 come 3016.

Ah jaysis my maths are all over the place!
    Must be the heat from Saturday still affecting me!
    Time for a nap....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

If you search his bib number the name is a female name. Maybe that's why he wore the mask? He obviously used someone else's bib number.
    Ha...the balaclava hardly fools anyone into thinking he's female

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭event

maybe he wasnt supposed to be there on the day....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Auntie Matter

I thought the water station was a lot closer to the 3 mile mark last year - it was nearly at the 4 mile mark this year which was just a bit too far along.

Advertisement