Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Previous tenants rubbish.

Options
  • 18-06-2015 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

I've just bought a house and I'm in the middle of a big clean up, there's a big rubbish tip up in one corner of the back garden.

There's twenty or thirty bags of rubbish at least, I've found bills and even a birth certificate belonging to the previous tenant that was renting there.

Is it any use trying to pursue him to come and take his rubbish away or am I wasting my time?

I have enough on my plate at the moment without the hassle and expense of dumpin someone else's waste.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You brought the house lock stock. You should have got them to clean up before contracts were signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

ken wrote: »
    You brought the house lock stock. You should have got them to clean up before contracts were signed.

I know where you're coming from and I have cleaned out plenty of crap already but this waste has his name all over it literally.

If I was involved in fly-tipping or dumping my waste on someone else's land and it was found that the waste contained items linking it back to me I would be fined, what's the difference with this situation?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

murph226 wrote: »
    If I was involved in fly-tipping or dumping my waste on someone else's land and it was found that the waste contained items linking it back to me I would be fined, what's the difference with this situation?

The difference is you bought his waste off him so you cleaning up your own mess now.

Rew wrote: »
    The difference is you bought his waste off him so you cleaning up your own mess now.

I bought the house from the owner, he was just renting there.

What's stopping me dumping his rubbish on the side of the road and leaving him get caught for fly-tipping?

I am obviously not going to do this or advocating it in any way but can anyone see where I'm coming from?

Is that the letter of the law? I bought the house with all the crap in it so I have to dump it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I know where you're coming from and I have cleaned out plenty of crap already but this waste has his name all over it literally.

I stand to be corrected but if the waste is dumped on privately-owned land I believe it is up to the owner to remove it, although the Council may investigate at their discretion. At least that is what I was told a few years ago when somebody dumped a load of rubble and bin bags at a neighbour's build site. The dumper was prosecuted in the end.

We turned up at our site once to find some old tosser dumping a load of bin bags into the skip on our site - behind a fence and gate. Luckily though we were able to help him load the bags back into his car, terrible how some of them ripped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I bought the house from the owner, he was just renting there.

What's stopping me dumping his rubbish on the side of the road and leaving him get caught for fly-tipping?

I am obviously not going to do this or advocating it in any way but can anyone see where I'm coming from?

Is that the letter of the law? I bought the house with all the crap in it so I have to dump it?

I'd be checking what's in the loft if I were you.

Loft is fine thank god, he just use the corner of the garden as his own personal dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Where is the house? In Dublin everyone legally has to sign up to a waste collection service. This person clearly hasn't so the litter warden may be interested. Worth a try but you mightn't get very far.

Bloody disgusting though, what is wrong with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,720 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

30 bags will go in a €150 skip, not worth engaging solicitors or other expenses chasing previous occupier for the grand sum of €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Last person there was the Tennant and not the house owner. You should have inspected the property before finalising the deal and ensured that this was cleaned out by the owner. Doesn't matter if the owner or the Tennant cleaned it up.

The previous owner should have cleared it out after the property was vacated but didn't and you didn't catch them out on it.

You could chase the Tennant but that, in my mind, is more hassle that just paying one of those rubbish removal guys you find on done deal to get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Waste of time. Previous tenant (if you can find him) will just call the Gardaí and claim Harassment .
    If they are the kind of person who happily use their garden as a dump, they wont give a thought to dumping more crap in your garden in the future.
    Its not like they don't know where you live!

Advertisement