Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packing boxes/bubble wrap wtc

Options
  • 18-06-2015 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

For those of you who have managed to move recently, where did you buy packing boxes etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Stray_Cat

You should be able to get free boxes from Tesco,SuperValu and Dunnes,ask at the in store bakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

You can buy rolls of bubble wrap in dealz.

You should also be able to get newspapers at the end of the day, with the letter head cut off for a cheaper alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Argos do a moving pack. If you're friendly with a local shop its worth asking them for boxes we have a ton of them going through our shop and we have to break them all down and tape them up be anlot easier if someone wanted to take them off us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Argos and IKEA have. Good selection of boxes, both cardboard and plastic, so can be used on multiple occasions and/or for storage. A lt of supermarkets will have some available for free, but not all will have 4 sides or a lid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭phildin

I've used BoxDepot for my last two moves, the boxes cost about €1 or so depending on size. They're reused but they're clean and perfectly good condition.

Apart from that, the green boxes that vegetables come in are great for books and DVDs. Dunnes and Lidl tend to be best for them, I don't think Tesco or Supervalu use them so much.

Do buy lots and lots of gaffer tape in dealz/euro store, you can't have too much of it. Finally, never skimp on the bags, get the best quality ones you can find and life will be better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks a million. I'll scout out lidl tomorrow. I love ikea but i think that even their low prices will add up quite quickly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Various websites do moving kits of boxes, tape and wrap they turn up when you google moving cardboard boxs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

We bought these http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8754468/Trail/searchtext%3EMOVING+BOX.htm for moving I found them really good.

Off licence's are good too, as the wine boxes are a good size. as mentioned above fruit and veg boxes can be good, the bread boxes aren't great though they are too big so if you fill them they can't hold all the weight you put into them.

What I found toughest to get was packing material, shops (at least the ones I tried) now return the full newspaper to the supplier so they don't have lots to give away at the end of the night. Your best bet is asking someone who you know buys them to keep them for you.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I'd recommend Ikea plastic boxes for breakables such as kitchen goods, valuables etc as the boxes do give good protection and they stack well. Also the fact they are made of clear plastic is handy for seeing what's where.

Most storage and self storage companies sell bubble wrap, cling film, boxes, packing tape and cardboard wardrobe boxes.

They also sell mattress protectors which are great for when moving beds.

You'll also see bubble wrap and film selling on adverts.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You should also be able to get newspapers at the end of the day, with the letter head cut off for a cheaper alternative.

You're obviously old :P

Unfortunately the whole paper gets returned now. Suppliers get money from recycling companies for the huge volumes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Shops don't do that any more. Unsold papers have to be returned intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

Try your local betting office for their newspapers at the end of the night

You're obviously old :P

Unfortunately the whole paper gets returned now. Suppliers get money from recycling companies for the huge volumes

Fair enough. Funny how things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

My folks moved recently. I bought a bunch of file boxes and bubble wrap from Alpack in Sandyford. The file box size was ideal as the boxes would never got too heavy, and they were all identical sizes and could be stacked and stored easily. For heavier items, I picked up used food transport containers/storage trays that restaurants etc get deliveries with. Find them 2nd hand on adverts, donedeal etc.

Advertisement