Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015-16 UEFA Europa League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

astonaidan wrote: »
    Not really this has been covered already a thousand times, England treat it like a glorified league cup

I disagree, but fair enough if both sides have been said I won't get into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I disagree, but fair enough if both sides have been said I won't get into it.

Your doing this wrong, wheres our tedious back and forth, the pointless facts, whats the point anymore :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Results
    SC Braga (POR) 1 V 2 FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
    Villarreal CF (ESP) 2 V 1 AC Sparta Praha (CZE)
    Athletic Club (ESP) 1 V 2 Sevilla FC (ESP)
    Borussia Dortmund (GER) 1 V 1 Liverpool FC (ENG)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Bad result for Bilbao. After a slow enough start to the season, they've come back pretty well. Their recent results where they've dropped points doesn't tell the fully story. I've watched them and Sevilla quite a lot this season, and despite being level on points, Bilbao are a level above them in reality. So a poor enough result tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Bad result for Bilbao. After a slow enough start to the season, they've come back pretty well. Their recent results where they've dropped points doesn't tell the fully story. I've watched them and Sevilla quite a lot this season, and despite being level on points, Bilbao are a level above them in reality. So a poor enough result tonight

Sevilla's record away from home is particularly appalling so that's a surprise result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Sevilla's record away from home is particularly appalling so that's a surprise result.

Sevilla in the UEFA Cup are a different beast.

Sevilla in the UEFA Cup are a different beast.

True, Emery's record in the competition is formidable. Even with all that though I still didn't expect them to win tonight in the San Mames.

Tonight's Games
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) V SC Braga (POR) Agg (2-1)
    AC Sparta Praha (CZE) V Villarreal CF (ESP) Agg (1-2)
    Sevilla FC (ESP) V Athletic Club (ESP) Agg (2-1)
    Liverpool FC (ENG) V Borussia Dortmund (GER) Agg (1-1)

Athletic Club are really beginning to turn the screw now. Fully expect them to go through in this tie but they've made seriously hard work of it (if they do get through)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Extra time between sevilla and bilbao.

Susueta should have score there.

Villareal will surely be celebrating Dortmund going out, a real chance for them to go and win this now.

Bilbao finishing strong here, Sevilla look very tired.

Penos.

Bilbao finishing strong here, Sevilla look very tired.

Half the Bilbao team wouldn't push up there when the player went down. Play the bloody whistle. This nonsense of the other team kicking the ball out when the other team has an "injury" is becoming all to commonplace. Great chance of a goal there if they pushed up. 50/50 now

• Advertisement

Sevilla to pull through yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Weigl is a joy to watch, that pass in the move of the 3rd goal was magnificent. Dortmund's combinations to get behind an opponent rival any of Europe's top teams. Though it's against a weakened Spurs side, Dortmund are on another level to Spurs or anything in England. Tuchel has done a brilliant job.

Except Liverpool, currently 8th in the league.

Wise up

Masterclass so far.

Jaysus, he would have been in trouble there if he missed that cheeky attempt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Never seen the players fight at the halfway line during a shootout :pac:

Results
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 4 V 0 SC Braga (POR) Agg (6-1)
    AC Sparta Praha (CZE) 2 V 4 Villarreal CF (ESP) Agg (3-6)
    Sevilla FC (ESP) 1 V 2 Athletic Club (ESP) Agg (3-3) Sevilla FC (ESP) Win on Pens 5-4
    Liverpool FC (ENG) 4 V 3 Borussia Dortmund (GER) Agg (5-4)

Semi Final Line up
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
    Villarreal CF (ESP)
    Sevilla FC (ESP)
    Liverpool FC (ENG)

Well done sevilla, class penos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ah heeere.
    You could have referenced the post at the time but when it's a month on its time to let it go like! :)

Well Seville are through. Over the two legs I don't think it was wholly deserved, but how and ever, that's just how it goes sometimes

Panthro wrote: »
    Ah heeere.
    You could have referenced the post at the time but when it's a month on its time to let it go like! :)

What better time to reference it than after an English side beat Dortmund and knock them out of a tournament?

What better time to reference it than after an English side beat Dortmund and knock them out of a tournament?

Just reads like a cheap shot to be honest.
    Again, if the events unfolded at the time AIG posted what he did, then yeah knock yourself out, but otherwise...

Panthro wrote: »
    Just reads like a cheap shot to be honest.
    Again, if the events unfolded at the time AIG posted what he did, then yeah knock yourself out, but otherwise...

A cheap shot? It was a silly and ignorant remark to make. If I challenged it at the time it would have led to typical AIG condescending nonsense and some good old PL bashing. I believed there are better teams than Dortmund in England (and there are) so I waited to let the football do the talking. Maybe to avoid future "cheap shots", one shouldn't leave such ignorant posts.

A cheap shot? It was a silly and ignorant remark to make. If I challenged it at the time it would have led to typical AIG condescending nonsense and some good old PL bashing. I believed there are better teams than Dortmund in England (and there are) so I waited to let the football do the talking. Maybe to avoid future "cheap shots", one shouldn't leave such ignorant posts.

Liverpool took them in a once off cup game, but they certainly aren't a better team than Dortmund in general, nor is any team in England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Shakhtar are surely worth a punt at 6/1. They'll be a hard side to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Liverpool took them in a once off cup game, but they certainly aren't a better team than Dortmund in general, nor is any team in England

Twice off ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Johner wrote: »

I was just about to ask is everybody writing off Shakhtar. They're a really good side, I think I would fancy them out of the remaining 4 tbh.

Who would have thought at the start of the season England would have a team in each semi final and that those teams would be Man City and Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Johner wrote: »

Again they lost 5 out of 6 Champions League games this year in the group stages - tough group and all but they can be beat

Well then... If that's your prerogative so be it.
    / I'm out

8-10 wrote: »
    Again they lost 5 out of 6 Champions League games this year in the group stages - tough group and all but they can be beat

Villarreal would be the best of what's left by a bit, but it's all to play for in a cup

Glad you've cleared that up for me. The fact that Dortmund failed to beat Liverpool home or away and failed to even win the tie on away goals had led me to believe that maybe they aren't a better side than Liverpool and all of the teams above them in the league - including Man City, the Champions League semi finalists. Thankfully, despite watching the games and seeing the results, I have you and AIG here on the internet to tell me that Dortmund are still superior and getting knocked out of a competition after losing to an English team doesn't change the fact that Dortmund ARE better than ANY English team. What happens in reality is irrelevant. What is happening in the mind of The Golden Miller is what matters.

By the way, the "once off cup game" line doesn't really hold when the tie is played over two legs.

Glad you've cleared that up for me. The fact that Dortmund failed to beat Liverpool home or away and failed to even win the tie on away goals had led me to believe that maybe they aren't a better side than Liverpool and all of the teams above them in the league - including Man City, the Champions League semi finalists. Thankfully, despite watching the games and seeing the results, I have you and AIG here on the internet to tell me that Dortmund are still superior and getting knocked out of a competition after losing to an English team doesn't change the fact that Dortmund ARE better than ANY English team. What happens in reality is irrelevant. What is happening in the mind of The Golden Miller is what matters.

By the way, the "once off cup game" line doesn't really hold when the tie is played over two legs.

Once off cup tie. Being pedantic now?

Will we go through a list of all the weaker teams who have knocked out stronger opposition over the years in cup tournaments? Surely they are all better since they won a cup tie?

Once off cup tie. Being pedantic now?

Will we go through a list of all the weaker teams who have knocked out stronger opposition over the years in cup tournaments? Surely they are all better since they won a cup tie?

If you want to. You could list out all the stronger teams who have knocked out weaker opposition too. Like Liverpool tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Villarreal would be the best of what's left by a bit, but it's all to play for in a cup

Much of a muchness between themselves and Sevilla to be honest I reckon seeing as it's the Europa and Sevilla seem to do better in that format. Have gone further in the Copa this year too, Villarreal better in the league.

None of the 3 others left are any better than Dortmund or United though but because it's the semi I don't expect it to be any easier.

Can't wait now, should be awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

No one really believes that solely getting the equivalent of 4 points against a team and winning a tie by the odd goal makes them indisputably stronger, do they? For comparison, Liverpool beat Manchester City twice in the league (7-1 on "aggregate"). Does that mean Liverpool are a stronger team than Manchester, despite the latter being nine points ahead? The suggestion that Dortmund would be midtable if they were in the English league is beyond laughable.

There's no doubt that tonight is a great night for fans from Liverpool. And the exact reason is because they had a great comeback against such a strong team.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    No one really believes that solely getting the equivalent of 4 points against a team and winning a tie by the odd goal makes them indisputably stronger, do they? For comparison, Liverpool beat Manchester City twice in the league (7-1 on "aggregate"). Does that mean Liverpool are a stronger team than Manchester, despite the latter being nine points ahead? The suggestion that Dortmund would be midtable if they were in the English league is beyond laughable.

There's no doubt that tonight is a great night for fans from Liverpool. And the exact reason is because they had a great comeback against such a strong team.

Well some here seem to believe that solely getting the equivalent of 1 point against a team and losing a tie by the odd goal still makes them indisputably stronger. Not just stronger than the team they just lost to, but an entire top division. Laughable. Typical anti-PL BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Liverpool fan here, Dortmund are a better side than us by a bit. Well drilled and quality all over the pitch. However, they definitely have big weaknesses. As poor a team in the air as I've seen all season. Origi has barely played all year and bullied the Dortmund defence over 2 games.

Dortmund obviously have enough quality to win the PL but I think they'd be physically weaker than most of the top English teams.

Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Well some here seem to believe that solely getting the equivalent of 1 point against a team and losing a tie by the odd goal still makes them indisputably stronger. Not just stronger than the team they just lost to, but an entire top division. Laughable. Typical anti-PL BS.

I haven't read a single response that went along the lines of "Dortmund are stronger than Liverpool because they got knocked out". You just completely dreamt up that argument.

Anyway, Dortmund don't care about meaningless competitions like the Europa League. Isn't that the typical BS response from English fans when they get knocked out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Sevilla really love themselves a Europa League/UEFA Cup,whatever you want too call it,they've a amazing record in it.

As for who it'd like too see play each other,I'm not too fussed as they'll all be close,tight games.
    But after how Liverpool,rose from the dead tonight you can't help but feel,there name is on the trophy. I'd like too think not,but I've started too prepare myself for what I feel will be the inevitable sight of them holding it aloft in May.

I'm not too clued up on Shakater,so perhaps someone could tell be,how much of a threat,they'd be too the other three ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If Liverpool manage to win the EL and the EPL table stays the way it is at present, does that mean Man City won't get CL football next season, or does England get 5 teams in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

NIMAN wrote: »
    If Liverpool manage to win the EL and the EPL table stays the way it is at present, does that mean Man City won't get CL football next season, or does England get 5 teams in it?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_clubs_in_international_competitions#Who_qualifies_for_UEFA_competitions

England would get 5 teams in the CL in that permutation. Man City and Liverpool would enter at the play-off stages.

As a Liverpool fan, I'd obviously like to see Liverpool win the EL. I'd like to see Man Utd finish 4th above Man City. And I like to see Man City win the CL so that they rob the CL qualifying spot from Man Utd!! I don't expect any Man Utd fans to be happy with me about this, but I'm afraid that it would give me the warm fuzzies! :)

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I haven't read a single response that went along the lines of "Dortmund are stronger than Liverpool because they got knocked out". You just completely dreamt up that argument.

Anyway, Dortmund don't care about meaningless competitions like the Europa League. Isn't that the typical BS response from English fans when they get knocked out of it?

No one is saying Dortmund are stronger than Liverpool because they got knocked out. What some people are saying is that Dortmund are not only stronger than Liverpool, but stronger than every team in the premier league despite just being knocked out of a competition by a premier league side. This is based on Dortmund performances mainly against teams that aren't from England but somehow still holds after losing to and getting knocked out by a team from England in a 2nd tier European cup competition whilst another team from England is awaiting their semi-final opponents in the top tier European cup competition. It's utter nonsense.

You can tell by the line ups how seriously an English club is taking the Europa League. Both Dortmund and Liverpool had pretty strong looking line ups this week and last.

cregser wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_clubs_in_international_competitions#Who_qualifies_for_UEFA_competitions

England would get 5 teams in the CL in that permutation. Man City and Liverpool would enter at the play-off stages.

As a Liverpool fan, I'd obviously like to see Liverpool win the EL. I'd like to see Man Utd finish 4th above Man City. And I like to see Man City win the CL so that they rob the CL qualifying spot from Man Utd!! I don't expect any Man Utd fans to be happy with me about this, but I'm afraid that it would give me the warm fuzzies! :)

Depends if the Champions League winner also Qualifies for Champions League via there own league position the Europa League winners will go into the group stage

Semi Final
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) V Sevilla FC (ESP)
    Villarreal CF (ESP) V Liverpool FC (ENG)

Final
    Villarreal CF (ESP) or Liverpool FC (ENG) V FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) or Sevilla FC (ESP)

• Advertisement
Advertisement