Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015-16 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

In the interest of balance athletico should have two more sent off the first leg so athletico got a few desicions as well but we can't say that because barca are evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

shrewdness wrote: »
    Talking about the penalty incident for Barca, but fail to mention that Iniesta shouldn't even have been on the pitch to play that ball in.

Thats kinda a Barcelona thing though, a player who should have been sent of doing something to win games, you have to think back a full week for a similar moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Gbear wrote: »
    I liked Atleti breaking the stranglehold over La Liga between the big two, but they're one of the most horrible football teams I've had the displeasure of watching.

Massive heart but a shower of rougher, sneakier bastards you'll struggle to find. And they don't even have the pretty football to make up for it.

I shudder to think what Simeone would do with a club in England.
    Imagine him instilling that amount of balls and cynicism in the likes of Arsenal?

My dad was watching them tonight and pretty much said they are like Leeds United under Don Revie that he used to watch.

Hard as nails, cynical to the nth degree, but with some wonderfully talented players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

The bitterest of bitter Barcelona-haters can finally come out of the woodwork. Finally Barça haven't won a competition they are in. Hugely disappointed to go out, the tie came at the wrong time. Squad must be added to in the summer, far too much reliance on 12-14 players, that's the only regret.

All of that being said, how proud I am to be a Barcelona fan, we kept playing football and that's all you can ask of your team. Some are happy to enjoy extreme time-wasting and negative football, let them have it, that's not the Barça way and of that I am proud too. We will win the league, we will win the cup, and we'll be back again next year, better than before. That's what this club is about, that's what it's always been about, winning in a certain way, coming back from defeats stronger. That's why Barcelona will always be mes que un club.

No. That's not the reason why Barca are mes que un club. Not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I've moved on. I have too much class to talk of such things. Equally you'll find the Barça players will have to much class to speak of it as well. That's who Barcelona are as a club and I like to think it filters down through to our fanbase.

These words don't fit in the same sentence man. Watch their surrounding of the ref for the penalty claim. Some shower of babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

At least this result puts an end to CSFs constant whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is a results driven game.

Best team won. Maybe another all Madrid final???

jacool wrote: »
    There isn't one player on the Arsenal books who plays the way Simeone demands. He'd have to bring the lads with him.

True, that said though Griezmann would arguably have been one of these luxury players and he is pretty much part of their hard working philosophy. Worked his socks off tonight.

He certainly wouldnt have Mertesacker up past the half way line.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Schwiiing wrote: »
    These words don't fit in the same sentence man. Watch their surrounding of the ref for the penalty claim. Some shower of babies.

Tbf, Atletico do/did the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

RobertKK wrote: »
    It is a results driven game.

Best team won. Maybe another all Madrid final???

That would be good, give atletico chance for revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Atletico deserved their win. They are real dark horses now because they're a different type of team to the other 3 that's left in the competition.

I'd prefer to see any of the other 3 win ahead of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Oh there are lots of reasons. Country, not club. The anti-Franco/pro independence movement. I think as time has gone by and Barcelona has become the home of Total Football and all of what goes into creating Barcelona's unique brand of football it has become part of that too. Mes que un club for many reasons, there is no other club like FC Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Delighted they are out.

This thread makes me happy.

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Dont waste your time, this guy hasnt a clue about Catalan culture, hes a arm chair fan whos read a couple of books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I've moved on. I have too much class to talk of such things. Equally you'll find the Barça players will have to much class to speak of it as well. That's who Barcelona are as a club and I like to think it filters down through to our fanbase.

:pac:

• Advertisement

My dad was watching them tonight and pretty much said they are like Leeds United under Don Revie that he used to watch.

Hard as nails, cynical to the nth degree, but with some wonderfully talented players.

:D Johnny Giles didnt exactly want to go too much into the whole cynical debate. Himself and Billy Bremner kicked more lads around the pitch then they care to remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Schwiiing wrote:
    Surrounding the ref after the Sociedad game too.

I'm sure that was just to tell him what a good job he did, those classy guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Gbear wrote: »
    I liked Atleti breaking the stranglehold over La Liga between the big two, but they're one of the most horrible football teams I've had the displeasure of watching.

Massive heart but a shower of rougher, sneakier bastards you'll struggle to find. And they don't even have the pretty football to make up for it.

I shudder to think what Simeone would do with a club in England.
    Imagine him instilling that amount of balls and cynicism in the likes of Arsenal?

Surely he'd be a good fit for Chelsea. Would just be a more energetic version of Mourinho's style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

vidor wrote: »
    Tbf, Atletico do/did the same.

Nobody has claimed Atletico have any class, let alone too much to lower themselves to certain actions.

:D Johnny Giles didnt exactly want to go too much into the whole cynical debate. Himself and Billy Bremner kicked more lads around the pitch then they care to remember.

He always has a sheepish look on his face whenever the panel mention Leeds and cynicism. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Barcelona and class!

As an arsenal fan this makes me choke with laughter:)

Its funny to hear fans talking about Barcelona having class and how they are over it 5 feckin mins after the game is finished. How on earth is that a fan, the fa cup final Villa lost last year, I was devastated for 2 weeks and then they spout drivel about barca slogans and the culture. Christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

ahh very satisfying, delighted Barca are out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

This stereotype people are trotting out about Atletico is completely wide of the mark.

Are they dirty and cynical? Did i see players kicking or fouling their way to the win. Not at all. Nearly every tackle was aggressive but honest. Perfectly timed too which is the real rarity. The modern game is littered with players who either couldn't really give a **** to try and tackle or afraid to tackle because a mistimed one gets them sent off.

Biting in with good tackles and defending well used to be the norm 20 years. Now Atletico are the aberration. Sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The bitterest of bitter Barcelona-haters can finally come out of the woodwork. Finally Barça haven't won a competition they are in. Hugely disappointed to go out, the tie came at the wrong time. Squad must be added to in the summer, far too much reliance on 12-14 players, that's the only regret.

All of that being said, how proud I am to be a Barcelona fan, we kept playing football and that's all you can ask of your team. Some are happy to enjoy extreme time-wasting and negative football, let them have it, that's not the Barça way and of that I am proud too. We will win the league, we will win the cup, and we'll be back again next year, better than before. That's what this club is about, that's what it's always been about, winning in a certain way, coming back from defeats stronger. That's why Barcelona will always be mes que un club.

Delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Ah now Eamon, Atletico are a bit different than Leicester.

BT would want to turn down the heat in their studio. No ties and only one top button done.

Lacking class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Simone is the new Jose,he knows how to stop gud teams from playing ball ,just like porto v celtic,inter v barca and chelsea,some of it good management, some of it clinical,

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    hqdefault.jpg

Hahaha to recap. 1 treble, 1 Club World Cup. Top of the league, final of the Copa Del Rey.

CSF, posting the South Park crying meme cos Barça won't win (ANOTHER) treble, and will just have to make do with a double.

What's it like being so bitter?

That was a great goal by Jimenez against Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2014/05/22/fascism-football-the-political-history-of-spanish-football/

Slightly more serious than a pigs head being thrown into a pitch.

Other teams being classless/fascist/whatever doesn't excuse Barcelona's classlessness. Deflect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Lol at neuer for benficas goal. Was miles away from the cross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Barcelona should try and sign a world class keeper like DeGea, even if his aura isnt great he would keep them from losing in the champions league quarter final to Athletico Madrid, also of Spain.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2014/05/22/fascism-football-the-political-history-of-spanish-football/

With that logic, you must support Israel's actions in Gaza because of what happened to the Jews during WW II.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Simone is the new Jose,he knows how to stop gud teams from playing ball ,just like porto v celtic,inter v barca and chelsea,some of it good management, some of it clinical,

He's much better with his players than Mourinho I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Watching highlights of Benfica v Bayern.

What the fupp was Neuer at for Benfica's first goal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Hahaha to recap. 1 treble, 1 Club World Cup. Top of the league, final of the Copa Del Rey.

CSF, posting the South Park crying meme cos Barça won't win (ANOTHER) treble, and will just have to make do with a double.

Just bookmarking this hostage to fortune.

• Advertisement

New_20DayCanDanceAnything.0.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If they lose the league and copa del rey this ppst will be quoted quiet a lot. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Athletico Madrid deserved to go through over 2 legs. Barcelona struggle badly when Messi hits a rut, there is not much intelligence to their game plan without him playing out of his skin.

The refereeing over the 2 legs was atrocious. Suarez should have gotten a straight red in both legs for assaults on Godin and so should have Iniesta for what was a cynical handball.

New_20DayCanDanceAnything.0.gif

I'm assuming this will be you after Barça win a 6th La Liga in 8 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Nearly boxed his own player he was that far away from the ball.

I'm assuming this will be you after Barça win a 6th La Liga in 8 years?
    Now Andersonisgod, don't you dare be souuuuuuuuuuur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

It's the kind of frequent Neuer f**k up that's overlooked in favour of the latest #sweeperkeeper vine.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If they lose the league and copa del rey this ppst will be quoted quiet a lot. :o

I absolutely accept that. But honestly while I'm disappointed and I know other Barça fans are too, the reaction on here is ridiculous. Do they expect Barça to win every competition they enter from now till the end of time? I saw a line on Twitter that I'll shamelessly steal because it sums it up quite nicely; Barcelona have given their fans more joy in the last 10 years than most fans will experience in a lifetime. For that I'm eternally greatful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Now Andersonisgod, don't you dare be souuuuuuuuuuur

Clap for your winners to tonight Atletico Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boixos_Nois

Barca have also had an issue with neo-fascists aswell.

Headshot wrote: »
    Clap for your winners to tonight Atletico Madrid
    KO. KE. ROCKS.
    KO. KE. ROCKS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement