Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015-16 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Real Madrid are hated by a lot of people.
    Barca seem to be as well.
    Man Utd too.

I'm sure Bayern are in Germany too.

I think its a sign you are successful. Simple as that.

Lets be honest, the football world would be a lot better if everyone played the game like Barca, Real, Munich, Arsenal, but for some reason we often like to see these teams lose. Not sure what it is, but it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Arghus wrote: »
    AIG, you seem to be quiet busy tonight, so I'll try to refrain from a needless wind-up, but where would you rate objectivity as being a true element of love?

It's like bees at a picnic, you fight one off and suddenly you're being chased out of the park by a swarm of them.

I'd say somewhere between the players that have played for us and the club crest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

The bitterest of bitter Barcelona-haters can finally come out of the woodwork. Finally Barça haven't won a competition they are in. Hugely disappointed to go out, the tie came at the wrong time. Squad must be added to in the summer, far too much reliance on 12-14 players, that's the only regret.

All of that being said, how proud I am to be a Barcelona fan, we kept playing football and that's all you can ask of your team. Some are happy to enjoy extreme time-wasting and negative football, let them have it, that's not the Barça way and of that I am proud too. We will win the league, we will win the cup, and we'll be back again next year, better than before. That's what this club is about, that's what it's always been about, winning in a certain way, coming back from defeats stronger. That's why Barcelona will always be mes que un club.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

night night ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Michel's, Cruyff's and Guardiola's body of work; football marketing, wankery and bollocks since Dempsey declared in on Boards.ie 2016.

Its a general comment about the whole sport and club marketing to fans but you once again show your complete lack of objectivity to come out with guff like that to prove it correct.

You continue with your disillusion though, whatever makes you happy.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

night night ...

Guy I wrote that like 2 hours ago. You've spent 2 hours reading my comments and only now you've decided to sleep?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Its a general comment about the whole sport and club marketing to fans but you once again show your complete lack of objectivity to come out with guff like that to prove it correct.

You continue with your disillusion though, whatever makes you happy.

But...you are saying I'm correct.

I will definitely be happy to continue thinking that Michels, Cruyff and Guardiola didn't just give the club wankery and bollocks.

Would you prefer if Atletico rolled over for Barca. Barca can't defend Atletico can that's why Barca lost.

No, don´t you know ?

Barca are the only team that deserve to win, they deserve - in fact have the God given right to win EVERYTHING forever.

You see they are more then a club, all the other football teams are just dirt compared to the mighty Barca !!!

come on Dingus !! you should know this!! :p

Can't wait to see the local media here tomorrow morning ...

WE DESERVED TO WIN !!!

ROBBERY !!!

blah blah blah ...

I will sleep well in this silent city tonight !! :)

AIG, you seem to be quiet busy tonight, so I'll try to refrain from a needless wind-up, but where would you rate objectivity as being a true element of love?

And he's fighting them on 2 fronts as well, on the La Liga megathread as well.;)

He's some boy, bit like Darth Maul.

Snapshot_2.png

Guy I wrote that like 2 hours ago. You've spent 2 hours reading my comments and only now you've decided to sleep?

Nope I was actually watching Batman & Superman knock the head of each other ... :D

• Advertisement

Nope I was actually watching Batman & Superman knock the head of each other ... :D

From what I heard you wasted your money. Awful?
    Worse than watching Atleti v Atleti?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Fair play to Atletico!
    Some result to go through against Barcelona.
    That Barcelona team has 3 of the top 5 players in the world.
    Not many ways to beat them!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Man Utd too.

Lets be honest, the football world would be a lot better if everyone played the game like Barca, Real, Munich, Arsenal, but for some reason we often like to see these teams lose. Not sure what it is, but it happens.

For what Real spend on players they actually have underachieved and created an ugly monster of a vanity project (funded by the city of Madrid's taxpayers i might add) so while id have a certain amount of admiration for the others you have listed, Real Madrid kind of piss me off. FFP just doesn't seem to apply to them.

I have no issue with these big clubs winning things but for me its great to see the little guy step up to the plate every now and again and upset the old order. For the future of the game its better that as many teams get to experience winning as possibly can. Football had gone stale and boring and now we have the likes of Atletico with tireless work ethic, and Leicester the same in the Premier League.

Its good to know that determination and spirit is as valued a currency in the modern game then the millions that some of the big clubs are able to spunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's a hell of a lot different to go to a plan B late in a game.

They play attacking football with the ball on the floor almost always. The fans wouldn't accept anything less.

But winning is more important than their principles.

If their principles meant everything to the club (like we've been lead to believe) they wouldn't indulge in putting Pique up front in order to win.

And he's fighting them on 2 fronts as well, on the La Liga megathread as well.;)

He's some boy, bit like Darth Maul.

Snapshot_2.png

Personally I would have gone with a World War 2 Germany reference there, but thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Personally I would have gone with a World War 2 Germany reference there, but thanks.

That did not end well though......

• Advertisement

So it wasn't quite the perfect night then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

World War Germany 1 might be slightly better there. Dont want any nazi references I'd say

I see you more a Lord of the Sith than a Nazi, AIG.

That did not end well though......

Spoiler alert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's like bees at a picnic, you fight one off and suddenly you're being chased out of the park by a swarm of them.

I'd say somewhere between the players that have played for us and the club crest.

That's a nicely put, but somewhat obtuse response.

Let me be more direct: Is it better to have a love that is undying, but also unquestioning? Or is true love really more a case of being able to look at your object of affection in such a way that sometimes unfavourable light can be cast upon it, if that's what reality demands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Barca has alot of values with regards to how they play football which i completely respect but this 'Mes que un club' is a load of b*llocks. Talk about patting yourself on the back.

Their illegal pursuit of the likes of Fabregas a couple of years ago left an awful lot to be desired. Remember they turned the sprinkler system on when they were beaten by Inter in 2010? 'Mes que un club' my arse.

You never even mentioned the sponsor on the front of their jersey. Or the trips to Uzbekistan to pocket money from a dictator that boils his opponents alive:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/373944-barcelona-budyonkor-uzbekistan-and-unicef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

But...you are saying I'm correct.

I will definitely be happy to continue thinking that Michels, Cruyff and Guardiola didn't just give the club wankery and bollocks.

Its one thing to recognise good coaches, players and teams, but its quite another to part with your money to be branded a supporter and subscribe to the level of endoctrination you seem to be at and the waffle you come out with to draw attention to the fact that you subsribe to all things barcelona as some sort of form on enlightenment.

Thats wankery and bollocks, plain and simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Let me be more direct: Is it better to have a love that is undying, but also unquestioning? Or is true love really more a case of being able to look at your object of affection in such a way that sometimes unfavourable light can be cast upon it, if that's what reality demands?

Extreme fanaticism is a sign that someone is hiding a secret doubt.

kksaints wrote: »
    World War Germany 1 might be slightly better there. Dont want any nazi references I'd say

The other alternative was the Fellowship of the ring when they are surrounded by the forces of Saron at the battle of the Black Gate. In that version I'm the good guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Its also forgotten Guardiola is a drug cheat as well.

Its one thing to recognise good coaches, players and teams, but its quite another to part with your money to be branded a supporter and subscribe to the level of endoctrination you seem to be at and the waffle you come out with to draw attention to the fact that you subsribe to all things barcelona as some sort of form on enlightenment.

It's impossible to know where the good coaching ends and the wankery begins.

The other alternative was the Fellowship of the ring when they are surrounded by the forces of Saron at the battle of the Black Gate. In that version I'm the good guy.

Probably a better option, otherwise I'd assume you been hanging around with the Boixos Nois a bit too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ok, whoever can make a post about something that isn't Barcelona related gets this half eaten Mr Freeze ice lolly. Bayern, Benfica, Real, Atleti, City any takers?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

So who are the favourites now for this tournament?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This is hilarious.

When reality kicks in, you'll realise you've spent your evening arguing with someone who managed to get some of the better posters on this forum to start extolling the current England team as one of the greatest the world has ever witnessed.

Seriously, they were putting England on a par with Germany, Spain from a few years ago, and Barça!

AIG is outclassing some of the best WUMs we have ever had in this forum by quite some margin and I very much look forward to seeing him again.

Remember, England are as good as Barcelona.

*tears laughing emoji*

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    Ok, whoever can make a post about something that isn't Barcelona related gets this half eaten Mr Freeze ice lolly. Bayern, Benfica, Real, Atleti, City any takers?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Cola flavour by any chance?

Bayern against Athletico would be a similar enough match to tonights I'd reckon. Although Lewadonski would make hit and hope crosses a bit more viable. Hoping for a Real v Bayern final now.

kksaints wrote: »
    Bayern against Athletico would be a similar enough match to tonights I'd reckon. Although Lewadonski would make hit and hope crosses a bit more viable. Hoping for a Real v Bayern final now.

I'm sure its the one UEFA are praying for too.

Time to get the draw rigged lads.;)

That's an interesting question. To answer, I will use a real life example. Today I listened to a beautiful song, the lyrics, even the melody made me think of my ex girlfriend and the wonderful times we shared together and I was moved almost to tears at the thought of never being together again. I was moved to contact her, but as I took out my phone and searched for her contact details, I remembered all of the bad times too. During the song all I could see was an idealised version of this person, the person who I wanted her to be all of the time, it's only when I actually felt compelled to contact her that her true self was thrust back into light and I realised that the 4 minutes I had been imaging her during the song was more enjoyable than the entire duration of our relationship.

What I am saying is, sometimes an idealized perspective of something offers a more beautiful experience, however an occasional cold dose is essential to keep me present in this realm or else I'd exist only in a world of beauty, music and Busquets.

I'm sure its the one UEFA are praying for too.

Time to get the draw rigged lads.;)

With Bayern vs City and Real v Athletico semi finals aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Meh, if you'd truly cared for her you'd have her phone number memorised:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Man Utd too.

No it absolutely would not! If every game was Barcelona vs Barcelona the game would get very boring, very quickly, and viewing number globally would fall off a cliff not long after. It would be like eating ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but chocolate all the time. Not chocolate biscuits, not chocolate ice cream, just solid chocolate. Seems like a great idea until you want to kill yourself a few days in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Well they've just cancelled their Player of the Year awards.

Only just? Cheeky fučkers
    Hope that the semi's are good. Watched the City & Barca games the last 2 nights and thought there wasn't much of a high standard in either with even less in the way of entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Everyone rushing in to kick the man after his favourite team didn't make it to the semi finals.

But he has the last laugh as his two favourite teams are in the semi finals.

• Advertisement

What I am saying is, sometimes an idealized perspective of something offers a more beautiful experience, however an occasional cold dose is essential to keep me present in this realm or else I'd exist only in a world of beauty, music and Busquets.

Okay, that's reasonable enough.

But do you ever wonder if there's a danger in the idealised perspective becoming more like fixed position, if the cold doses are no more than occasional?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I'd exist only in a world of beauty, music and Busquets.
    Brilliant!

AIG you spend most of your time on here talking complete ****e, but you do have the odd hum-dinger!

Okay, that's reasonable enough.

But do you ever wonder if there's a danger in the idealised perspective becoming more like fixed position, if the cold doses are no more than occasional?

That could be a worry. Though I think of it as though it were the movie Inception. So long as you have a totem of your true reality, you can never get lost. Unfortunately the cold doses have become less like the odd sun shower and more like a prolonged month of bad Irish winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I really hope the draw is;

Bayern V Atleti
    Real V City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

TheCitizen wrote: »
    It's an inspirational phrase. You don't have to be from Catalonia to empathise with it. I wouldn't describe it as meaningless or nice either.

Honestly in that Barcelona team, outside of of the Spanish lads, they dont give a **** about the more than a club, its a good thing to sell on scarfs. Messi doesnt consider himself a Barca fan, he said many times he wants to finish his career with Newells. 99% of people havent a clue about Barcelonas ideals, they are right now the biggest club in the world and a easy team to latch onto. Lets not pretend its anything else. The nonsense some people write in here is a joke, whats funny is the catalans openly despise the plastic fans who talk this nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Surely youve noticed he doesnt ever back up anything he says with waffle, he starts all loud and arrogant dismissing everyone, then gets called out on it accuses everyone of bullying him goes quiet(or to a club :pac:) then next week its the same again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I really hope the draw is;

Bayern V Atleti
    Real V City

Happy with anything that doesn't involve Atleti vs Real tbh

That could be a worry. Though I think of it as though it were the movie Inception. So long as you have a totem of your true reality, you can never get lost. Unfortunately the cold doses have become less like the odd sun shower and more like a prolonged month of bad Irish winter.

A dream within a dream can be a frequent feeling around here.

Happy with anything that doesn't involve Atleti vs Real tbh

Except the final again?

A dream within a dream can be a frequent feeling around here.

It does feel other-worldly much of the time, the medium doesn't help. If this were a forum wherein we were all meeting and speaking in person in a physical room the dynamics would shift massively.

It does feel other-worldly much of the time, the medium doesn't help. If this were a forum wherein we were all meeting and speaking in person in a physical room the dynamics would shift massively.

Absolutely, but that's just the nature of Internet debate really: the lower the stakes, the more bitter the battle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement