Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015-16 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I only Español didn't have such a dubious past, they'd have another option. If you're born in Barcelona you're a Barca fan. At least los madrileños have a few other options.

I'd be a Rayo fan if i lived in Madrid!

Have been to the 4 stadiums. Has to be Atletico, and it has to definitely not be Getafe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

CSF wrote: »
    Have been to the 4 stadiums. Has to be Atletico, and it has to definitely not be Getafe!!!

I prefer the left wing lunatics from the suburbs. I'm a big River fan, live near the stadium so the similarity of the Rayo kits attracted me, the more I found out about them the more the chaos appealed to me.

I prefer the left wing lunatics from the suburbs. I'm a big River fan, live near the stadium so the similarity of the Rayo kits attracted me, the more I found out about them the more the chaos appealed to me.

Well you certainly won't be short of chaos, it's worth a trip, with 4 teams in the city, you can usually visit 2 in a weekend trip.

Well you certainly won't be short of chaos, it's worth a trip, with 4 teams in the city, you can usually visit 2 in a weekend trip.

It's a 15k km from Argie...not on the agenda!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Out of curiosity, why not Getafe?

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why not Getafe?

My experience was that they're a club for people to watch when Real aren't on. In terms of atmosphere and passion, think a Spanish Fulham. Not an exciting match day experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I only Español didn't have such a dubious past, they'd have another option. If you're born in Barcelona you're a Barca fan. At least los madrileños have a few other options.

I'd be a Rayo fan if i lived in Madrid!

What is Espanyols past may I ask? Never heard this before.

What is Espanyols past may I ask? Never heard this before.

Being a club seeking out the royal seal (Real) in Barcelona is not so cool. They're historically the team of the cops and those not on the catalan side of the civil war as it was locally in Barcelona.

Maybe better described as the Spanish establishment team in the Catalan capital. Dubious is maybe unfair...certainly not a universally popular thing to be on the side of the spanish establishment all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Being a club seeking out the royal seal (Real) in Barcelona is not so cool. They're historically the team of the cops and those not on the catalan side of the civil war as it was locally in Barcelona.

Maybe better described as the Spanish establishment team in the Catalan capital. Dubious is maybe unfair...certainly not a universally popular thing to be on the side of the spanish establishment all the same.

Oh that's very interesting thanks, always assumed it was just down to the success of Barca that had most Catalans supporting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

TheCitizen wrote: »
    They won it before it became the Champions League. I support Celtic, they won it as the European Cup as well. Since the CL was started with Group Stages and that in the early 90's Villa didn't make it, came close under MON.

Your logic is massively flawed, you can say Benfica never won the CL just because they didnt win it in the current format, its just incorrect. I never mentioned Celtic not winning it, Id always say Celtic have won it

• Advertisement

Every club, especially the bigger ones are prone to having plastic/fake fans. It's not the clubs fault, and sure why would they care.

It appears though that Barcelona is unpopular with some around here because they have lots of "plastic" fans, I find it ironic that supporters of EPL sides in Ireland would sneer at Irish supporters of Barca.

I never said it was the clubs fault, I mentioned I find the fans quoting Catalan idiots, I dont like current Barcelona team but I have followed them previously as said, but the favoritism they get from UEFA is disgusting.

You do realise Ireland has a lot more connection to UK than Spain right, their has been mass emigration their for years, how much Spanish family do you have for example, I can 100% understand the sneer they get when they try create connections to a club they dont have, not to the fans of their football I may add

You're very fond of that :rolleyes: emoticon aren't ya.

Only for those who havent a clue :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yeah, saying CL wins don't count from before 1993 is a bit odd, kind of like saying English league titles don't count before the Premiership, or UEFA Cup/Europa League wins don't count before 2010.

What are the River Plate games like, heading over later in the year, plan on getting as much games in as possible, father in law is a Belgrano fan. But he said hed get me tickets to watch the big two as long as I watch Belgrano :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Billy86 wrote: »
    Yeah, saying CL wins don't count from before 1993 is a bit odd, kind of like saying English league titles don't count before the Premiership, or UEFA Cup/Europa League wins don't count before 2010.

For some people football only started with Sky TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

City v Bayern and Real v Atletico is what I'd love too see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm going to take a punt on UEFA getting the final they want, so I think it will be a Madrid derby and Bayern v City.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm going to take a punt on UEFA getting the final they want, so I think it will be a Madrid derby and Bayern v City.

Based on what I've seen this season, their best chance of getting that final is Real v City, Bayern v Atletico. Atletico the best side in Madrid at present IMO. Function vs Fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Semi Final

Manchester City FC (ENG) V Real Madrid CF (ESP)
    Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) V FC Bayern München (GER)

Final
    Manchester City FC (ENG) or Real Madrid CF (ESP) V Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) or FC Bayern München (GER)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm hoping for an Ateltico v Real final now and for Atletico to get revenge for the 2014 final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭lassykk

Best chance City had of going through... Good draw for them. Not saying they will do it though!

Hard to call Bayern v Athletico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Tough matches to call but I think that Real and Bayern will go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Looool it's like clockwork. Real Madrid's path to the final must be the easiest of any team that I can remember. You didn't need a crystal ball to predict this draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Looool it's like clockwork. Real Madrid's path to the final must be the easiest of any team that I can remember. You didn't need a crystal ball to predict this draw.

Rigged?

Inside job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

:rolleyes:

Rigged?

Inside job?

I don't know, I'm not on the inside, but another fun fact is that Real Madrid have played the 2nd leg at home in each of their knockout round ties in the last 2 seasons.

I don't know, I'm not on the inside, but another fun fact is that Real Madrid have played the 2nd leg at home in each of their knockout round ties in the last 2 seasons.

It's virtually impossible to do unless, unless lot people involved including ex players of clubs that did not play for Madrid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Well if atletico win it they will have beaten some great teams! Would love for city to beat real. Tis a good draw for city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Madrid's draw is a bit lucky. I think Liverpool have had a tougher EL KO draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Facepalm252520for252520A252520IDIOT25252003_thumb25255B125255D_Facepalm_for_A_IDIOT-s550x424-217460.jpg

MD1990 wrote: »
    Madrid's draw is a bit lucky. I think Liverpool have had a tougher EL KO draw.

Lucky maybe, but anything else is bit ott

So best draw City and Real could have asked for, I was one of the many who wrote them off against PSG my Zlatan love could have been the problem for that :o. I dont think it will be a walk over for Real in any case, its the semis of the CL, you cant say its luck that has got any team here, it takes a lot of luck to get through a group stage and then last 16 and quarters.
    Bayern against Atletico is what Barca were 3 seasons ago obsessed about possession against possibly the best defensive football team in football.
    This game really could be Inter/Barca all over again

Much like Barcelona, every now and then with you the mask comes off, eh? :pac:

Much like Barcelona, every now and then with you the mask comes off, eh? :pac:

Well can you tell me that they haven't had an extraordinarily easy path to the finals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'd argue that at time playing the second leg at home can be a disadvantage as the away team in the second leg know exactly how many away goals they need.

• Advertisement

Well can you tell me that they haven't had an extraordinarily easy path to the finals?
    PSG in the groups and again in the quarters. Sure why don't they just give Madrid the trophy now and get it over with!?

PSG in the groups and again in the quarters. Sure why don't they just give Madrid the trophy now and get it over with!?

Who else was in the group? Roma, Wolfsburg and Man City in the knockout to rounds, each tie with home advantage in 2nd leg. To steal a quote I saw elsewhere, it's the most Europa League path to a Champions League final ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

How many warm up draws had they before they pulled Real and Bayern home 2nd legs I wonder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

1st thing that matters is what's best for Leicester, so until 3rd in the league is guaranteed, City going out suits that.

Then hopefully Guardiola goes on to win it.

Who else was in the group? Roma, Wolfsburg and Man City in the knockout to rounds, each tie with home advantage in 2nd leg. To steal a quote I saw elsewhere, it's the most Europa League path to a Champions League final ever.
    Where did Madrid finish in their group?

Other teams they could have drawn in the second round were PSV, Benfica, Juve, Arsenal, Kyiv or Gent. They got a team very firmly in the middle of that bunch. Wolfsburg were likely the easiest draw in the quarters, but in the semis there is no clear weak link. If City were such an easy draw, Madrid would been playing PSG. But they're not.

You seem remarkably salty on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Is having the second leg at home really an advantage though? Stats don't necessarily back that one up, especially in semifinals.

Where did Madrid finish in their group?

Other teams they could have drawn in the second round were PSV, Benfica, Juve, Arsenal, Kyiv or Gent. They got a team very firmly in the middle of that bunch. Wolfsburg were likely the easiest draw in the quarters, but in the semis there is no clear weak link. If City were such an easy draw, Madrid would been playing PSG. But they're not.

You seem remarkably salty on this.

City are the clear weak link. A side at the end of their cycle who caught PSG at the right time. They're record against top teams this season is laughable. By Champions League semi final standards this is a walk in the park for Real Madrid.

Having home leg 2nd gives you about 3-5% better chance to qualify Statistically.

It's a slight advantage, but it's not like it's a total banker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

City are the clear weak link. A side at the end of their cycle who caught PSG at the right time. They're record against top teams this season is laughable. By Champions League semi final standards this is a walk in the park for Real Madrid.

City have played rather well in Europe. They're a different side to the domestic side if we're being honest.

There is no arguing that Real have had an exceptionally easy (in terms of what they could have gotten at any particular stage) route to the final if they get past City.

I don't think something like this is legitimately possible to rig though so I'm happy enough to go with the idea that they've just been very fortunate coupled with helping their first knockout draw out by winning their group, despite being 2nd seed in it.

City topped their group ahead of last years finalists, and knocked out PSG in the lkast round - who your tone would be completely different about had it been Barca who knocked them out. If City are a 'walk in the park' for Madrid, then there are only 1-2 teams in the whole competition who pose any threat to them and thus every conceivable path to the final would be easy for them by your reckoning.

They've not had the hardest run by any means, but it is very clear that you're simply just salty about the prospect of Madrid winning #11 to overshadow Barca this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

They've not had the hardest run by any means, but it is very clear that you're simply just salty about the prospect of Madrid winning #11 to overshadow Barca this season.

Uhhh I don't think you're replying to who you think you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Barca are out. Deal with it

Turtwig wrote: »
    Uhhh I don't think you're replying to who you think you are.

Ugh, sorry about that - must have hit the wrong post. Fixed up now. :)

Just incase you havent picked up on it, AIG is belittling City, so next season when Pep comes in he will be able to jizz all over the place with how hes making them the perfect team. City getting to the semis is the worst thing that could have happened for him, so his alternative is paint the Real getting easy draw with City, its really as see through as his charade as a Barca fan

• Advertisement
Advertisement