Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015-16 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Best draw possible for Man City. I'd give them a fighting chance to overturn Real Madrid, they'd have nothing to lose, the last hurrah perhaps for the likes of Toure and Kompany if he makes it and a lot of others who may not be at City next season. They've nothing to lose and have avoided the two tougher sides left in Bayern and Atletico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

astonaidan wrote: »
    Just incase you havent picked up on it, AIG is belittling City, so next season when Pep comes in he will be able to jizz all over the place with how hes making them the perfect team. City getting to the semis is the worst thing that could have happened for him, so his alternative is paint the Real getting easy draw with City, its really as see through as his charade as a Barca fan

City are the clear weak link to be fair. Atletico and Bayern are both excellently organised teams who are both solid at the back and can score goals against anyone. City are shocking defensively among this company and are heavily reliant on 1 or 2 individuals rather than the strong collective at both Atletico and Bayern.

Tactically Pellegrini can't hold a candle to Simeone or Pep and despite a great win against PSG, City have been abysmal in the big games this year mostly for this reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't know, I'm not on the inside, but another fun fact is that Real Madrid have played the 2nd leg at home in each of their knockout round ties in the last 2 seasons.

Seeing as the Last16 is a given as a group winner, that's a very unremarkable 4 ties in a row that they've been drawn at home in the second leg. 4 50/50s in a row is hardly noteworthy.

By the way 3 of their previous 4 were home leg first, just in case you forgot to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

City Bayern final with munich winning, hope atletico can win it though.

If Toure is match fit will Pellegrini start him and drop one of the clones in midfield, will be interesting.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    City Bayern final with munich winning, hope atletico can win it though.

If Toure is match fit will Pellegrini start him and drop one of the clones in midfield, will be interesting.

If the Atletico that played those 180 minutes v Barca show up against Bayern, I just can't look past Atletico.

They've shown already that they can handle a team who smother possession in Barca and not visibly tiring or letting things slip in the later stages and this time they're not going to have to deal with Messi, Suarez and Neymar.

That's not to do the Bayern attacking players any sort of disservice, but nobody carries the threat that those 3 do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

CSF wrote: »
    If the Atletico that played those 180 minutes v Barca show up against Bayern, I just can't look past Atletico.

They've shown already that they can handle a team who smother possession in Barca and not visibly tiring or letting things slip in the later stages and this time they're not going to have to deal with Messi, Suarez and Neymar.

That's not to do the Bayern attacking players any sort of disservice, but nobody carries the threat that those 3 do.
    I agree with you in general, but I would also personally put Muller in (or in-and-around) that bracket too, in honesty.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I agree with you in general, but I would also personally put Muller in (or in-and-around) that bracket too, in honesty.

He is a great player. I don't think I'd have him ahead of any of those 3 though. I suppose Suarez is the weakest of the 3 and I still don't think I could ever have Muller ahead of him.

Bayern certainly possess defensive qualities that Barca obviously do not, but I don't think they have too much experience against a unit like Atletico and they may still be taken by surprise by what they thought they knew.

They will be outworked and outran against a team with a better defence than them, and just like it was with Barcelona I think it's going to largely come down to what individuals within their team can do with very little space in key areas.

There is obviously enough quality within the Bayern ranks to do exactly that, but I just can't help feeling like Atletico have passed their toughest test already in this competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He's not as flashy, but he is incredibly intelligent and freakishly efficient, plus he can hurt a defense in a number of different ways (which is why I didn't mention Lewandowski). He's on 29 goals so far this season too, always had goals in him, but he could well now be moving that up to 30+ regularly which would put him in the Neymar/Suarez type of bracket for my mind. Hard to say if I'd put him right up with them, but certainly in the conversation. He gets plenty of plaudits, but Muller for me is possibly the most underrated player at any of the big clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say that this was the draw a few of them teams would have picked.

I'm sure City would prefer Real over Atleti or Bayern.
    I'm sure Real would prefer City, as Atleti and Bayern would be far harder draws for them.
    I'm sure Pep is probably glad not to have to face his new team.
    But I'm thinking Atleti would have taken City or Real instead of Bayern.

• Advertisement

Looool it's like clockwork. Real Madrid's path to the final must be the easiest of any team that I can remember. You didn't need a crystal ball to predict this draw.

Sounds a bit like sour grapes.

You do remember that Madrid went into the 2nd leg of the quarter finals 2 nil down?

Don't be coming across like a bitter Barca fan thinking this is all Franco's fault and the Spanish Government are in control and ensuring Real get easy draws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

City are the clear weak link to be fair. Atletico and Bayern are both excellently organised teams who are both solid at the back and can score goals against anyone. City are shocking defensively among this company and are heavily reliant on 1 or 2 individuals rather than the strong collective at both Atletico and Bayern.

Tactically Pellegrini can't hold a candle to Simeone or Pep and despite a great win against PSG, City have been abysmal in the big games this year mostly for this reason.

Oh dont get me wrong, I do think they were the easiest draw, but you could also say Madrid was the easiest for City. When you try play down the talents of a team that includes De Bruyne, Yaya and Kun to the level that some are trying to thats when youre grasping at straws imo.
    For me City lost all interest in the league when Pep was announced, they have no motivation for it, Pellegrini is getting put down far to much hes still a top class manager whos team have performed very well in europe this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sounds a bit like sour grapes.

You do remember that Madrid went into the 2nd leg of the quarter finals 2 nil down?

And yet where still favorites to qualify. Show's how weak the opposition actual was :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

And yet where still favorites to qualify. Show's how weak the opposition actual was :pac:

Or how good Real Madrid are.

Anyone who thinks it was an easy game for Madrid to go into two down is being stupid.

Wolfsburg had looked very good in the 1st leg, and created numerous chances. Had they got 1 at the Bernabeu, do you think Madrid would still have 'cruised through'?

Hopefully both Madrid teams get knocked out. Wouldn't mind seeing Pelligrini lift the trophy. Top man

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    Oh dont get me wrong, I do think they were the easiest draw, but you could also say Madrid was the easiest for City. When you try play down the talents of a team that includes De Bruyne, Yaya and Kun to the level that some are trying to thats when youre grasping at straws imo.
    For me City lost all interest in the league when Pep was announced, they have no motivation for it, Pellegrini is getting put down far to much hes still a top class manager whos team have performed very well in europe this season

Real were absolutely the team City would have wanted IMO. Tactically Pellegrini would be completely lost against this Atletico team I think and City are full of players who are not up for a battle.

Real were absolutely the team City would have wanted IMO. Tactically Pellegrini would be completely lost against this Atletico team I think and City are full of players who are not up for a battle.

i fancy Atletico to do Bayern, personally i think they could win it out this time. They will have learned alot from last year and the final in 2014 where they were achingly close

i fancy Atletico to do Bayern, personally i think they could win it out this time. They will have learned alot from last year and the final in 2014 where they were achingly close

Yup, you'd imagine that's 100% driving them. Another Madrid derby with a reversal of fortunes would just be epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Or how good Real Madrid are.

Based on recent Trophy count, they're not very good :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Based on recent Trophy count, they're not very good :P

Yeah they have sort of underachieved but their lack of trophies I think is more a case of how great Barca and Atletico are.

La Liga in the last 3 or 4 years is quite possibly the highest quality domestic league in the history of the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Tonight's Game
    Manchester City FC (ENG) V Real Madrid CF (ESP)

Wednesday Game
    Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) V FC Bayern München (GER)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Champions League Official twitter lol. A certain player watching at home.

https://twitter.com/ChampionsLeague/status/724931649197076480

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Would love to see Atletico get to another final....and hopefully win it this time.
    Another one for the underdogs!
    Interesting to see how they will cope without Godin tonight. They might have a 20 year old and 21 year old pairing in Lucas and Gimenez!
    I wonder is that the youngest champions league CB pairing In the KO stages?

Those that didn't enjoy last night's match are unlikely to enjoy tonight's exhibition of dark artistry, a strong ref will be needed, 2-1 atletico.

Those that didn't enjoy last night's match are unlikely to enjoy tonight's exhibition of dark artistry, a strong ref will be needed, 2-1 atletico.

The 2 games v Barca were entertaining throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

First time Joanne Cantwell anchoring live Champions league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

flazio wrote: »
    First time Joanne Cantwell anchoring live Champions league?

Eammon won't be able to use any bad language tonight!:D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Muller dropped, big call by Pep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Lol just hearing on rte that Simone got a ball boy to throw a ball on the pitch to stop a Malaga counter last week. Suspended for the last three games of La Liga. Anyone got a vine of this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

No Muller, ffs :mad:

• Advertisement

If bayern weren't to get a result tonight I'd say pundits will claim they were Muller light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Oblak

Juanfran - Gimenez - Savic - Filipe Luis

Niguez - Gabi - Fernandez - Koke

Griezmann - Torres

Neuer

Lahm - Martinez - Alaba - Bernat

Alonso

Costa - Alcantara - Vidal - Coman

Lewandowski

I want to see an all Madrid final so gonna predict 3-1 to Atletico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The CL is just rubbish this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

Lol just hearing on rte that Simone got a ball boy to throw a ball on the pitch to stop a Malaga counter last week. Suspended for the last three games of La Liga. Anyone got a vine of this??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InGAyKxIvCw

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

I have to say I agree with a lot of what Dunphy said there regarding Pep, God help me.

derm0j073 wrote: »
    I have to say I agree with a lot of what Dunphy said there regarding Pep, God help me.

What was he saying?

Spoofer, Bill (probably)

Does anyone else roll their eyes at George Hamilton's desperate attempts to impress us with his research about trivial things like the name of Madrid airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

What was he saying?

Heynck had put together a great team, they won the treble in his last season but what Pep's achieved hasn't matched it.

• Advertisement

Does anyone else roll their eyes at George Hamilton's desperate attempts to impress us with his research about trivial things like the name of Madrid airport?

Wha u mean? Very important info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

He hardly had to do much 'research' if he flew into it on the way to the match:pac:

I've got Johnathan Pearce and Dean Ashton commentating, christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jonathan Pearce and Dean Ashton are the commentary team on Fox Sports 1.... Good god!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Jerseys wrecking my head when the players backs are facing the camera.

Martinez at cb!
    Last time I saw him play there was when Bielsa was in charge of that excellent Bilbao side a few years ago. He looked a class act back then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I hope Bayern go through so Pep's last game at Bayern will be a failure in the final.

If they go out now he can sort of gloss over the failure by lifting the league & cup.

• Not home yet but is Greizman playing?

* Edit NM got on phone

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Not home yet but is Greizman playing?

Aye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

What a goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

**** me, what a goal!

• Advertisement
Advertisement