Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015-16 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

TV3 are showing Real v PSG, and not Seville v City. Which is a shock frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

regretting letting the 3 month trial for setanta BT drop :(

Where do sky sports news get these pundits? Poundstretcher?

Awful analysis

TV3 are showing Real v PSG, and not Seville v City. Which is a shock frankly.

City and Seville fans wouldn't be followed much in Ireland. More will probably tune into watch Ronaldo and Madrid? Maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    City and Seville fans wouldn't be followed much in Ireland. More will probably tune into watch Ronaldo and Madrid? Maybe.

More Ronaldo fans then city fans

Get up the yard

Get up the yard

Except I never said that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Juve in absolutely rotten form this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Get up the yard

well yeah there would be in Ireland

Good choice by TV3. Great game to watch so far. PSG shouldn't be losing, all over them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Good choice by TV3. Great game to watch so far. PSG shouldn't be losing, all over them

I dunno, the City game is an absolute belter. Four goals already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I'd say Arsenal are the best team in Europe at the moment so them doing the double over Bayern would not be that big a surprise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

GreNoLi wrote: »
    I'd say Arsenal are the best team in Europe at the moment so them doing the double over Bayern would not be that big a surprise.

The best team in Europe? Who aren't even top of their own league?

The best team in Europe? Who aren't even top of their own league?

Yeah, would beat City 9 times out of 10 the way they're playing at the moment, very few outstanding teams (if any) currently around the leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I've been told I should try to laugh more for the sake of my mental health, by supplying comments like this you are providing a valuable public service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Yeah, would beat City 9 times out of 10 the way they're playing at the moment, very few outstanding teams (if any) currently around the leagues.

Yeah getting trounced by Sheffield Wednesday would surely mean they'd beat City 9 times out of 10. Great logic.

• Advertisement

I've been told I should try to laugh more for the sake of my mental health, by supplying comments like this you are providing a valuable public service.

Happy to help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Why isn't the Barca game televised? Or am I missing something? Just want to say Arsenal got Bayern on an off day, they haven't been playing that well recently other than that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Are Arsenal still the best team in Europe? Someone should probably tell there defence because this is embarrassing.

As I said, they got the last time on an off day.

Are Arsenal still the best team in Europe? Someone should probably tell there defence because this is embarrassing.

Not over yet.

• Advertisement

Not over yet.

Are they going to score 3 goals then?

I misspelled Bayern.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Pity Chelsea won tbh. All is not lost for Arsenal but they are in the Champions League. But certainly not competing for anything in it. Bit of a difference at the Allianz Arena than the Liberty Stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Match Day 4 Results
    Group A

Real Madrid CF (ESP) 1 V 0 Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 4 V 0 Malmö FF (SWE)

Group B
    Manchester United FC (ENG) 1 V 0 PFC CSKA Moskva (RUS)
    PSV Eindhoven (NED) 2 V 0 VfL Wolfsburg (GER)

Group C
    FC Astana (KAZ) 0 V 0 Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)
    SL Benfica (POR) 2 V 1 Galatasaray AŞ (TUR)

Group D
    Sevilla FC (ESP) 1 V 3 Manchester City FC (ENG)
    VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach (GER) 1 V 1 Juventus (ITA)

Group E
    AS Roma (ITA) 3 V 2 Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER)
    FC Barcelona (ESP) 3 V 0 FC BATE Borisov (BLR)

Group F
    Olympiacos FC (GRE) 2 V 1 GNK Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)
    FC Bayern München (GER) 5 V 1 Arsenal FC (ENG)

Group G
    Maccabi Tel-Aviv FC (ISR) 1 V 3 FC Porto (POR)
    Chelsea FC (ENG) 2 V 1 FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)

Group H
    Olympique Lyonnais (FRA) 0 V 2 FC Zenit (RUS)
    KAA Gent (BEL) 1 V 0 Valencia CF (ESP)

Will Arsenal ever win the Champions League or even reach another final? Forget the injuries what about the application? Allowing Munich to walk the ball past them should be an affront to the whole game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Will Arsenal ever win the Champions League or even reach another final? Forget the injuries what about the application? Allowing Munich to walk the ball past them should be an affront to the whole game!

You can ask that question about any club bar 3 or 4 clubs. I agree they were shocking today and in general in the champions league this season. Not One English club has a chance of getting near that trophy this season.

Sure but City will build towards a decent go at it as they improve their seeding, Chelsea and Man Utd have both won it though it could be a while before they trouble another final its true. Arsenal are going backwards having never got there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

I agree with Schmeichel, Pep should never manage Man. United.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

CL seems like a closed shop at the moment. Nowhere near as exciting as it once was. Bayern, Barca and Real the only realistic winners. Yes you have your Juventus's, Dortmunds and Atleticos that can beat one or two of the superpowers and make it to a final but the gap between the big 3 and the rest in general makes for some boring viewing.

I don't see it changing soon tbh. There are very few players in the world that would start ahead of someone in the big 3's starting XI. I was thinking today would anyone in the EPL start in a Bayern XI? Maybe Aguero on his day, but it's not a given, Lewandowski is world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

CL seems like a closed shop at the moment. Nowhere near as exciting as it once was. Bayern, Barca and Real the only realistic winners. Yes you have your Juventus's, Dortmunds and Atleticos that can beat one or two of the superpowers and make it to a final but the gap between the big 3 and the rest in general makes for some boring viewing.

I don't see it changing soon tbh. There are very few players in the world that would start ahead of someone in the big 3's starting XI. I was thinking today would anyone in the EPL start in a Bayern XI? Maybe Aguero on his day, but it's not a given, Lewandowski is world class.

Bayern's defence isnt as stellar as some people think. Their fullbacks are both midfielders and Lahm is 32 now. He plays like it too. Their centre halves can both be bettered by dozens of defenders throughout europe.

They arent invincible by any stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Kirby wrote: »
    Bayern's defence isnt as stellar as some people think. Their fullbacks are both midfielders and Lahm is 32 now. He plays like it too. Their centre halves can both be bettered by dozens of defenders throughout europe.

Lahm and alaba are full backs, alaba plays centre mid for Austria because he is such a good footballer, best lb in the world for me. Lahm is probably the most consistent full back in football for years too, pep has played him in midfield in recent years but he looks to be back playing rb full time these days.

And their centre halves can be bettered by dozens in Europe?? Really? Is this even a serious post!! Boateng is arguably the best centre back around atm, benatia and Martinez are superb defenders too. Badstuber if he ever gets got again is a great option too. Couldn't disagree with a post anymore.

Edit: They also comfortably have the best goalkeeper on the planet too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just looking at Costa's dive there, Mourinho's stupid laugh when he feels a decision is going against him is almost happening every match at this stage.

Kirby wrote: »

Really? Who would you have over Lahm and Alaba? Boateng and Martinez are some of the best in the world, so is Benatia. Neuer obviously speaks for himself too.

Edit: it's not a dig at the EPL to clarify, they just seem to share all the best players in the world with Barca and Real, they're all so far ahead of everyone. They're not invincible but at least 8/10 times I'd say they'd beat any team in the EPL, Serie A or Ligue 1. Makes for a boring cup when you know one of those three teams will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The CL is definitely getting less exciting, with less potential winners as each year goes by.

I don't really start watching it until the knockouts. The groups tend to be dull, dull, dull.

NIMAN wrote: »
    The CL is definitely getting less exciting, with less potential winners as each year goes by.

I don't really start watching it until the knockouts. The groups tend to be dull, dull, dull.

Yep, what are the chances that the final will have and winner will be either bayern, real or Barca? Excitement isn't there anymore. Money has won and shock horror to all the EPL fans here, your clubs are minnows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Match Day 5
    Tuesday Fixtures
    Group E

FC Barcelona (ESP) V AS Roma (ITA)
    FC BATE Borisov (BLR) V Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER)

Group F
    Arsenal FC (ENG) V GNK Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)
    FC Bayern München (GER) V Olympiacos FC (GRE)

Group G
    Maccabi Tel-Aviv FC (ISR) V Chelsea FC (ENG)
    FC Porto (POR) V FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)

Group H
    Olympique Lyonnais (FRA) V KAA Gent (BEL)
    FC Zenit (RUS) V Valencia CF (ESP)

Wednesday
    Group A

Malmö FF (SWE) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) V Real Madrid CF (ESP)

Group B
    Manchester United FC (ENG) V PSV Eindhoven (NED)
    PFC CSKA Moskva (RUS) V VfL Wolfsburg (GER)

Group C
    FC Astana (KAZ) V SL Benfica (POR)
    Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) V Galatasaray AŞ (TUR)

Group D
    Manchester City FC (ENG) V Juventus (ITA)
    VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach (GER) V Sevilla FC (ESP)

Busquets has laser passing, this season we are seeing him play far more killer passes than previously and he's so damn good at those, his vision and anticipation are unbelievable. Best in the world at what he does.

Goal! Neymar channelling Messi with a diagonal pass cutting Roma open allowing Alves an easy square ball to Suarez to tap it in. Roma's high line has not worked.

Goal! Messi! The king is back on his throne. Pure tiki taka, pure joy, there's no better sight in sports right now than Barcelona.

• Advertisement

Goal! Spectacular volley, be very afraid, Luis Suarez has found peak form in the blaugrana shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Absolutely clueless from Rudi Garcia. Playing a high line the whole half. Learned nothing from the Bayern game last year. Could easily be 5/6 as Neymar got wrongly flagged offside twice through on goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Busquets has laser passing, this season we are seeing him play far more killer passes than previously and he's so damn good at those, his vision and anticipation are unbelievable. Best in the world at what he does.
    Goal! Neymar channelling Messi with a diagonal pass cutting Roma open allowing Alves an easy square ball to Suarez to tap it in. Roma's high line has not worked.
    Goal! Messi! The king is back on his throne. Pure tiki taka, pure joy, there's no better sight in sports right now than Barcelona.
    Goal! Spectacular volley, be very afraid, Luis Suarez has found peak form in the blaugrana shirt.

I think Barca are doing well :pac:

ERG89 wrote: »
    Absolutely clueless from Rudi Garcia. Playing a high line the whole half. Learned nothing from the Bayern game last year. Could easily be 5/6 as Neymar got wrongly flagged offside twice through on goal.

It's not so much the high line that is the problem but that there's zero pressure on the ball. Pique, Busquets and Messi and Neymar when they drop into midfield have so much time to receive possession and pick out a pass. What Barcelona have added under Enrique is runners in behind, it can be the forward players and but also the midfielders and full backs from a deeper area.
    Barcelona are happy to play in the middle of the park, draw out Roma and allow Messi and Neymar space between the lines too.

But ye really the problem for Roma is no pressure on the ball, these Barcelona players are definitely good enough to carve open a defence from a deeper area and they've done that numerous times tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lewandowski, Costa & Muller vs Messi, Neymar & Suarez shoot out in the final.

I think Barca are doing well :pac:

Seriously they are, the football this team is producing at this moment in time is so good. It's tiki taka but with a bit more directness and individual flourish thrown in. There's no other team quite like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

amazing to watch at the moment so they are. It is interesting when was the last time the 3 top forwards in the world were in one team?

Samper on this half and has started very well, keep an eye on him, he's a special player.

Goal! That's Messi, that's what Messi is all about, team over individual, he could have taken on the shot there but Pique is in a better position so he squares the ball to him for a tap in. The Barcelona crowd chant Messi, every single person across the globe with an affinity for Barcelona appreciate how lucky we are to have this superstar in our team, he's the best ever and he puts the team first.

5-0. Messi. There are no more words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Neymar's backheel touch to control the ball out of the air...

• Advertisement
Advertisement