Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water connection charge for new build

Options
  • 18-06-2015 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi how much is water connection charge for a new built house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Phone your local council and they will be able to tell you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

hopgirl wrote: »
    Hi how much is water connection charge for a new built house?

It varies as every house will be a different distance from the connection.
    The LA wil inspect and issue a price for connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

He received at price from Irish Water €2,191.00 for the connection charge this morning. Then he has to go to the local county council for laying the pipes.
    He had got a rough idea of a price around thousand euro to get the pipes put down as it some distance from the site from the county council. Then 1,000 to 1,500 for development contribution. He won't know the full cost until the engineer comes out to the site. We are in the North West mad money.
    Thank you for the replies 😊.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mad money.
    Is a well an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 adrianm1234

crazy money is right .After being told i have to pay Galway coco e1500 and also because our group water scheme was taken over by the council 2 years ago and we are within 15km of a regional town we are in sub area 1 and have to pay a further e3300 to Irish Water . The mains runs along front of site. There is another group water scheme 1 mile further up the road but within the 15km and they have to pay e1130. We have already paid e 3530 developmental fees to coco.The cocoe1500 i can kinda accept but E3300 to Irish Water I cannot as im getting nothing in return only paying inflated wages to IW staff. Also theis connection has been made part of my planning conditions. Crazy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

He received at price from Irish Water €2,191.00 for the connection charge this morning. Then he has to go to the local county council for laying the pipes.
    He had got a rough idea of a price around thousand euro to get the pipes put down as it some distance from the site from the county council. Then 1,000 to 1,500 for development contribution. He won't know the full cost until the engineer comes out to the site. We are in the North West mad money.
    Thank you for the replies 😊.

Development contributions in DCC are close to €10k for a house. €1000 - 1500 for development contributions is pretty much nothing compared to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

A private well + pump will probably cost a lot more than €3,300. Might want to bear that in mind before giving the finger to Irish Water.
    Likewise €1,500 contribution charges is very low. No idea what the rate is in Galway but assuming this is a self build of a reasonable size, it would be €4,000-5000 in Cork County. I'd imagine it would be eye watering in the likes of Dublin/Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 adrianm1234

The e1500 to coco is for a water connection fee to physically do the work. The additional e3300 is to IW . So in total e4800 to get a water connection which seems extortion. This is on top of development fees of e3500. This.This is compounded by the fact that a connection agreement is part of my planning conditions and has to go in with the commencement notice to commence building . Going off grid with rainwater harvesting and not paying these fees is no longer an option.A well would require further planning and water to be tested and if not suitable would not comply. Its left me a lot to think about. Especially when my neighbors a mile up the road and still in the same sub area can pay tHe reduced amount (e1500+E1130 IW) because their water scheme is not taken over by the council/IW.When connections were doneby private contractors it cost e500 a few years ago.All this money to dig a hole less than a meter in the ground and connect to the mains.Crazy

Total20 wrote: »
    We got planning in 2013 the county council took 4000 euro off us for planning charges.then irish water came along and looked for 6200 euro for water connection.
    Everyone has to pay these. Did you not budget for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 trevordurity

Wow - we're in Galway city and received the offer letter for €6400. €11,000 already taken for council contribution. Our builders have had the pipes laid to a few feet away from the mains for months awaiting permission to connect. Bit of a mess though as the mains is smack bang in the centre of a neighbour's privet hedge.

Wouldn't be quite so bad if it were possible to get a quote or even a rough estimate...

• Advertisement

I guess it's sparking water!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why do a tank off the roof capture as opposed to a well?
    That's what we're doing (admittedly in NZ) as we're outside of town water supply.

why do a tank off the roof capture as opposed to a well?
    That's what we're doing (admittedly in NZ) as we're outside of town water supply.

Good question. It's because one would still legally need water egress. The law requires one to get that from Irish Water in most areas and part of the IW contract is that you cannot harvest rainwater - at least that was the case a year or so ago.

EDIT: I was completely wrong on this. See further posts below. thanks @antoinolachtnai for the clarification

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Good question. It's because one would still legally need water egress. The law requires one to get that from Irish Water in most areas and part of the IW contract is that you cannot harvest rainwater - at least that was the case a year or so ago.

Where is this in the 2015 Irish Water terms? https://www.water.ie/our-customer-commitment/Domestic-Terms-and-Conditions-English.pdf

hmm, you're right. I don't see it in there. It was reported on another thread. Just digging it up. My bad, I reposted without checking.

Seems to be confusion over that point and IW got a raw deal on the publicity around it, so again, my bad. Apparently one can get written permission to harvest. Anyway I don't see it in those terms you posted, unless these are talking about the fact that all rainwater is classed as waste water.

Sounds more like one needs to apply for written permission and be charged more for the egress as it will end up in the pipes.

http://claredaly.ie/rainwater-harvesting-its-our-water/
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/environment/187870-home-rainwater-harvesting-10.html
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057453164

A bit of nonsense talk in the last thread.

We've got 3 very large soakpits so obviously won't be going that route anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I am sorry. Those threads completely misinterpret the terms.

You are not supposed to let rainwater run off into a foul sewer. If you do it will tend to overwhelm the foul sewer and could result in pollution as foul waste over spills the sewer into watercourses or even into the road.

This is a measure to protect the environment. It is intended to stop lazy developers from flooding the sewers. It has absolutely nothing to do with stopping you from harvesting rainwater.

This is Drainage 101.

Yep, looks like it after I read through everything. In any case there will be no foul from our own property as it all runs into 8 feet or deeper soakpits. sorry for the tangent.

Yep, looks like it after I read through everything. In any case there will be no foul from our own property as it all runs into 8 feet or deeper soakpits. sorry for the tangent.

You can't run a foul sewer into a soakpit. Public sewer or a septic tank only.

I know. It's rain that we were talking about. Rainwater off the roof, etc, will be going into the soakpits. Foul sewer is going to the public sewer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement