Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deansgrange Cemetery - Open Space

• 18-06-2015 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Was up there today to visit family plot, St Ita's, in the side gate, down to the right then up a good bit. Years since I've been up there but there is a large area of open ground with nothing on top only grass, what is the reason for this as I know the graveyard is long since full to capacity.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

From looking after old family graves for a long time, I know a lot of tidying up and renovation has gone on in the Cemetary in the last 10 years. I suspect the green field site is a block of old lower class graves being recycled and available for new purchase. Lower class graves were sold donkeys years ago on the basis that they could be turned over and reused eventually. Only €16,000 for the honour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's also a green patch down near the main road at the Blackrock end of the cemetery. The available plots can only be purchased at the time of death and which plot you get is decided by the council.

DLR co co website says that there is 'a limited number of plots available in “The Garden” at a cost of €16,000.' Doesn't say which part of the cemetery is called 'the garden'. Deansgrange and Shanganagh cemeteries are both managed from an office on the right just inside the main gate of Deansgrange cemetery, that's the gate down at the Deansgrange Cross end. You can always drop in during office hours and ask, I'm sure they'd be glad to answer any queries.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/parks/cemeteries/general.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SidneyL09

Family own a plot but none of us are planning to be buried. Anyone know how we go about selling the grave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Ask the council would they buy it back from you or how should go about selling it.

There is a webpage on the DLR website which covers the transfer of ownership of a grave but it refers to a transfer within a family only .......

Transfer of Ownership

If you want to transfer the ownership of a grave an exclusive right of burial may be transferred to a specific family member. Permission must be sought from the Registered Owner of the grave. It is not necessary to produce the original Grave Paper issued, all registered owners are on our records.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/cemeteries/transfer-ownership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

SidneyL09 wrote: »
    Family own a plot but none of us are planning to be buried. Anyone know how we go about selling the grave?
    Does it have planning permission?

Edgware wrote: »
    Does it have planning permission?

An individual plot in a council-owned cemetery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

coylemj wrote: »
    An individual plot in a council-owned cemetery?

I think he's taken the pee :rolleyes:

Advertisement