Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC for video editing advice

Options
  • 18-06-2015 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi, my son wants a PC to record and edit his PS4 games and we have decided to build a new PC. I have built several PCs over the years but haven't kept up with things for last few generations of CPUs, chipsets, etc. so not sure how best to build.
    Requirements for the Elgato HD 60 he intends to use say i7-2xxx 2GHz or higher for streaming his games, so intention was to get an i7, but don't know if better off with a later generation i5 or Xeon etc.
    I don't know a whole lot about video editing, but he currently uses an old version of Sony Vegas and I reckon most important components in build are probably CPU and RAM, followed by reasonably nippy large HDD.

His budget is 500, but could wait a little longer to afford more.

I have a spare case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and Windows 7 licence from current PC. As PC won't be used for games, I reckon he can live with integrated graphics on the i7, so save on cost of graphics card., but I might be wrong.

I put a very quick spec together which comes to 550 and would appreciate any advice on better combinations.
    Thanks.

Intel Core i7-4770 Box, LGA1150 316,99 €
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s 51,99 €
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9 52,99 €
    ASUS H81-Plus, Sockel 1150, ATX 52,19 €
    Xilence XP500 Performance C, 500 Watt 30,99 €
    Samsung SH-224DB 13,99 €

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not bad, but save almost 100 euro by getting a Xeon E3-1231, same thing, but no integrated graphics - a basic 30 euro graphics card will cover that, the remaining savings should go towards an SSD which will make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

Not bad, but save almost 100 euro by getting a Xeon E3-1231, same thing, but no integrated graphics - a basic 30 euro graphics card will cover that, the remaining savings should go towards an SSD which will make a huge difference.

Thanks, will take a look at the Xeon

Looking at Xeon E3-1231 and it is only 50 euro cheaper than the i7 4770. So adding in cost of graphics card practically negates the price difference. So i7 seems simpler build or am I missing something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Get a decent gpu I know it ups the cost, but its worth it. the other thing he should be looking at is premier pro and id up the ram to 16 gigs 8 gigs works but for editing you want something that's snappy and an ssd to run the programs off and use the hard drive for storage. Get a decent case two I bought my pc with the intention of using it for gaming now its my work pc my biggest regret is skimping on the case.

Get a decent gpu I know it ups the cost, but its worth it. the other thing he should be looking at is premier pro and id up the ram to 16 gigs 8 gigs works but for editing you want something that's snappy and an ssd to run the programs off and use the hard drive for storage. Get a decent case two I bought my pc with the intention of using it for gaming now its my work pc my biggest regret is skimping on the case.
    Thanks for advice but budget is tight here and all of those options up the cost considerably. Looking to start in best initial position leaving room to upgrade later when funds allow.
    Is GPU an important factor for video editing? Ahead of cpu or ram?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

No, CPU is top dog for editing. Go with the Xeon I reckon, and cheap card as Terror has said.

Advertisement