Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

growing broad beans for green manure

Options
  • 18-06-2015 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Ive planted beans for green manure and a break from other vegetables . When do you dig them.in so to speak. Ive attached pic of where they are at now thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Possibly a silly question, but why not eat them? They are yummy. You can dig the stalks back in, but pick the beans themselves.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Usually the Spring after sowing but you could leave them for a year more.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

zagmund wrote: »
    Possibly a silly question, but why not eat them? They are yummy. You can dig the stalks back in, but pick the beans themselves.

z

I assumed the protein (nitrogen) in the beans at 27% was where the nutrients were and not the stalks. Thanks. Planted in spring so i wasnt sure when to dig. I assume they dont growth back silly question i feel ??

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

I assumed the protein (nitrogen) in the beans at 27% was where the nutrients were and not the stalks. Thanks. Planted in spring so i wasnt sure when to dig. I assume they dont growth back silly question i feel ??

In Legumes it's the roots that fix Nitrogen so the longer that you let them grow the better. So you can crop the beans and eat them all you want and it won't effect the amount of N that the roots produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

TTTT wrote: »
    In Legumes it's the roots that fix Nitrogen so the longer that you let them grow the better. So you can crop the beans and eat them all you want and it won't effect the amount of N that the roots produce.

Yea i understand but i wud assume some of the N would be locked in the beans. Maybe im wrong? Il just let them grow on then ☺

• Advertisement
Advertisement