Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quarterly interest went up this time around

Options
  • 19-06-2015 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭

Little bit miffed.

Tracker Mortgage, interest rate unchanged in over a year. Constant regular payments (including a few top ups). Each quarter, the interest paid seemed to go down roughly 10% on the previous payment. So if i paid 400 in December, it would be 360 in March etc.

However, this time around, the interest payment went up a little. I cant understand the maths of this. Compound interest would surely mean less interest on a smaller principle.

Was going to check with bank but maybe theres a simple explanation that im not seeing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Have you lost tax relief at source?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

homer911 wrote: »
    Have you lost tax relief at source?

Not yet. Finishes after next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Not yet. Finishes after next year.

If you're getting TRS, the amount you pay for your mtg could go up slightly. Reason being, you get relief on the amount of interest you pay. As the principle goes down, the amount of interest you pay goes down, so the amount of relief you get goes down so, in some cases, the actual amount you pay out can go slightly up. Give the bank a call; if this is what happened to you, they should be able to identify it fairly handy. If that's not it, I can't think of what else coulda caused it though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Patrick Wheelock

quarters might be uneven

Advertisement