Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Ireland news thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Only watched the highlights of that now, embarrassing is not a strong enough word for that. Shambolic.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Hate to say this but I can't see this test match next year going beyond three days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Only watched the highlights of that now, embarrassing is not a strong enough word for that. Shambolic.

In not sure why I'd do it to myself, but do you have a link to the highlights?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    In not sure why I'd do it to myself, but do you have a link to the highlights?

Here's the whole match!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOKDq0uTaK8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Much better today. 113/0 after 21 overs

Of course as I type that, Porterfield is out for 47

And now balbarnie out. 122/2

Stirling out on 82. Great knock pity he couldn't close out the ton however.

Wilson out for a golden. 160/4 and worrying times now.

• Advertisement

Niall o Brien gone.

3 wickets gone in 8 balls for no runs. Impressive levels of collapse that, especially from top order batsmen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

So theyve added 77 runs in 100 balls for the loss of 6 wickets. It is so poor considering the position Porterfield and stirling got them into

Are you watching it KevIRL?

Not watching. Just following text updates. Poynter out now. 217/7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

62 off 48 from Dockrell sets a target off 272 for the Afghans

Well done dockrell and the openers, the rest not so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye a decent enough score, hopefully they can keep it tight and get the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Terrific finish by Dockrell, but an indication that it's a good batting track so 272 is probably quite chaseable.
    At least it's a total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

need a wicket soon.

RRR is creeping up for AFG but a couple of bad overs from us could change that very quickly. Super knock from Dockrell earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

100 to win from 15, better from Ireland today

• Advertisement

5 down now. Gonna have to bowl them out cause they will get the target

6 wicket gone. Still up in the air this one.

Into the tail now and they need almost 10 an over

Well on top now Afghanistan 201-7

201-8

219/9

Winner alright. Well done. Badly needed boost that

Nice one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Afghanistan 142/8

• Advertisement

177 all out

30/1 Porterfield out.

81/2 balbernie gone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

lets hope there is no collapse now

Its starting, Niall gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Looked a poor call to me... maybe not actually.

• Advertisement

147/4.

Those last few big hits should clinch it, great batting by Stirling

20 off 4 balls from stirling to bring up a ton. Outstanding.

Series win wrapped up after the 38th over. Well done team. Will confess I didn't see that coming after being bowled for 100 in the first game

ICC Schedule for 2019-2023 has been announced:

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcricket%2Fcricinfo%2F1129286_1296x729.png&w=1140&cquality=40

Ireland to get 16 tests, 42 ODIs and 44 T20Is

• Advertisement

From Cricinfo
    Ireland and Afghanistan, along with Zimbabwe, are not part of the Test Championship league, which will commence immediately after the 2019 World Cup. Nonetheless, the new FTP allows both to cut their teeth in Test cricket, albeit at a slower pace compared to Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe - the last three entrants into the format. In their first five years Bangladesh played 40 Tests while Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe played 24 Tests each.

Ireland 's roster is somewhat richer in comparison to Afghanistan's in that they play half of the top-nine countries. Ireland are scheduled to play a one-off Test against Australia (2019), Sri Lanka (2020), England (2021) and then host New Zealand and South Africa in 2022. In addition, Ireland will face Afghanistan (5 Tests), Zimbabwe (4 Tests) and Bangladesh (2 Tests)

Both Afghanistan and Zimbabwe will play nearly equal number of Tests at home and away. Ireland will play seven home Tests and nine away while Afghanistan seven at home and six away.

Presently, Australia are the only upper-tier country to play against Afghanistan in the new FTP. Both countries will play a one-off Test in 2020 and 2022. Afghanistan's other opponents will be: Ireland (5 Tests), Zimbabwe (4 Tests), Bangladesh (1 Test) and West Indies (1 Test).

Zimbabwe are scheduled to play 17 Tests in the four-year cycle. Out of the 17, Zimbabwe will play Bangladesh in six Tests followed by four each against Ireland and Afghanistan, two against Sri Lanka and one against West Indies.

So mostly one off tests with most of the games against Afg and Zim...
    Pro: if we are bad, which seems very likely, it will probably be the best way to get up to speed.
    Con: it's not going to help growing the game very much with only one test worth watching per year, which will hinder the pro

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/21749022/ireland-afghanistan-set-play-consistent-test-cricket

Well you'd have to imagine they'll manage at least one win out of the five against Afghanistan, so getting that monkey off their back won't drag on for years like it did with some other nations.

Although don't quote me on this in 5 years time when Ireland's win count is still zero.

Im not sure how much more we could have expected.

Im pretty happy with it considering we will most likely have to be blood the majority of a new team over the next 2/3 years considering the age of most of the squad. If that is the case then we may be better off playing more games against the likes of Afghanistan and Zimbabwe to help the younger players develop. I would say that is the better scenario compared to being spanked in 3 days by the big teams

But where are the youth players going to come from if the game doesn't grow in the country? I'd prefer flat out more games in total, with the majority still against Afg and Zim but then more against the big teams, a 3 test series a year minimum.

Fair enough I suppose but we should be at a stage where we have already given a couple of younger players chances to take on better opposition (batsmen in particular). I dont buy the idea that there hasnt been a batsman worth giving a run of games to over the last few years (if not longer).

Whilst weve had to wait too long for Test status I believe the fact that weve had almost the same batting line up for years now will be detrimental in the long run as no one else has had a chance.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Fair enough I suppose but we should be at a stage where we have already given a couple of younger players chances to take on better opposition (batsmen in particular). I dont buy the idea that there hasnt been a batsman worth giving a run of games to over the last few years (if not longer).

Whilst weve had to wait too long for Test status I believe the fact that weve had almost the same batting line up for years now will be detrimental in the long run as no one else has had a chance.
    Oh I totally agree, the quest for test status has left us woefully under-prepared and I'm not sure what else could have been done. We needed results and unfortunately none of the recent young players was a proper ready-made prodigy like Stirling and Dockrell were back in the day. And then all this meant that few of the young players got the opportunity to develop into a top player either, it was either sink or swim.

What we really needed was a proper commitment from the ICC and international community that we wouldn't be abandoned and have been given time and space to develop. But even then how much has cricket really grown in Ireland since 2007? How many new clubs, schools and youth players are there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Oh I totally agree, the quest for test status has left us woefully under-prepared and I'm not sure what else could have been done. We needed results and unfortunately none of the recent young players was a proper ready-made prodigy like Stirling and Dockrell were back in the day. And then all this meant that few of the young players got the opportunity to develop into a top player either, it was either sink or swim.

What we really needed was a proper commitment from the ICC and international community that we wouldn't be abandoned and have been given time and space to develop. But even then how much has cricket really grown in Ireland since 2007? How many new clubs, schools and youth players are there?

It has grown a fair degree in Kerry: a brand-new cricket ground in The Spa, just outside Tralee, and a county-wide T20 league during the summer.

Seen it all now, T10 cricket. Stirling and Morgan put on 113 in 41 balls in the final. Have no idea of any of the teams, ultimate gimmick

I didnt hear about it till now, what exactly is it? Seems like good crowds though

It was a blitz type tournament, 10 overs per side. Think it was 4 teams per group, 6 matches x 2 groups, Semi Finals and a final. 15 games in total, think they played 3 a day for 5 days. Tamim Iqbal played, so did Alex Hales and Misbah. Some handy players in it. Was held in Dubai, and is being touted for the next Olympics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement