Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touch site ads. Accidentally tapping all the time

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just happened. Again. On this thread...

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

fullstop wrote: »
    Is the touch site down now? Keeps re-directing to mobile site for me.

If you are being sent to the full site, you can switch back to touch via the link in the footer of any page.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If this Uber ad pops up again, can you please get the click through URL for it? We can't block specific Google ads without that I'm afraid.
    Still getting uber app ad and I can't grab a url for it as it opens on the down press on iphone. Only got a screenshot, dunno if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Gordon wrote: »
    Still getting uber app ad and I can't grab a url for it as it opens on the down press on iphone. Only got a screenshot, dunno if that helps.

how i got it was disconnecting from the wifi with no data signal so the popup page couldn't load

Thanks, I had asked for the URL ganmo reported earlier to be blocked, let me see if that's been done yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

these ads are a total pain in the ass. I'm convinced its because of them my mobile browser crashes intermittently. could they be made smaller and static?

Can you send/post the screenshot if you still have it please Gordon? Thanks.

Sure thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

crazygeryy wrote: »
    these ads are a total pain in the ass. I'm convinced its because of them my mobile browser crashes intermittently. could they be made smaller and static?
    No was the response i got to that question before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

crazygeryy wrote: »

They certainly crash my mobile web browser and the times it doesn't crash the browser scrolling down the pages is a juddering mess.

I have to turn off java to make the touch site usable but that's a pain in the hole if I go to any other site that needs java to run properly (which happens a lot of I click just about any link in the threads I'm reading). It then becomes a case of read Boards with java off, click a link in a thread, go into browser settings and turn java on, read the link, go back into browser settings turn java off and then use Boards again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Can all of you who are experiencing these issues let us know what make and model of device and flavour of Android or iOS you're running please?

I have to be honest here, I did a lot of browsing of Boards on my 2+ year old HTC One M7 running Android 4.1 and then 5 - I can honestly say I don't ever recall accidentally clicking on an ad. I've recently upgraded to an Xperia Z3+ and as it's got a larger screen res, the likelihood of accidental clicks is lower and definitely hasn't happened in the month I've had it.

There is nothing we're doing that makes the ads catchment area bigger or more likely to be clicked - accidental clicks piss us off too because they make your experience such a pain in the arse. This is something we're factoring in to the new site too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

The fact is you have a lot of people including myself who are actively telling you how the the ads are being constantly clicked accidentally and far too easily, you cannot discount that by saying you haven't hit the ads accidentally which is quite unbelievable or your scroll skills are on point, it is happening to a lot of users and making the site almost unusable at this stage for many.

I get how boards need ads, ads are fine but some of the ads are too heavy in loading and aren't positioned ideally. For example, I'm not sure who the ad is from but there is one with a GAA player that just refuses to load smoothly causing the whole page to crash almost.

I've used a galaxy S5, and iPhone 6s and currently using a lenovo k3 note. All with big screens and high spec and still finding trouble avoiding clicking the ads.

OSI wrote: »
    What phone?

Galaxy S3 with Android version 4.3

Dav wrote: »
    Can all of you who are experiencing these issues let us know what make and model of device and flavour of Android or iOS you're running please?

I have to be honest here, I did a lot of browsing of Boards on my 2+ year old HTC One M7 running Android 4.1 and then 5 - I can honestly say I don't ever recall accidentally clicking on an ad. I've recently upgraded to an Xperia Z3+ and as it's got a larger screen res, the likelihood of accidental clicks is lower and definitely hasn't happened in the month I've had it.

There is nothing we're doing that makes the ads catchment area bigger or more likely to be clicked - accidental clicks piss us off too because they make your experience such a pain in the arse. This is something we're factoring in to the new site too.

do boards staff see the same ads as us? or are they like mods etc?

Numerous times i've thumbed an ads but they don't act like normal links where if you scroll it recognises that and doesn't open the link. the problem ads open as soon as you touch them regardless if you scroll or hold the tap longer

ganmo wrote: »
    do boards staff see the same ads as us? or are they like mods etc?

Numerous times i've thumbed an ads but they don't act like normal links where if you scroll it recognises that and doesn't open the link. the problem ads open as soon as you touch them regardless if you scroll or hold the tap longer

We definitely do (as do mods - there's no difference in the ads served).

I'm really not seeing the issue tbh. I often use the ads as scrolling anchors.

Those ads are regular google ads, they don't cause issues when touching for me.

I'm really not seeing the issue tbh. I often use the ads as scrolling anchors.

it was a problem with that uber ad, not all of the ads are uber sensitive

sorry I was lead to believe not having ads was one of the perks of being a mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm using an iPhone 5s with iOS 8.2.

The problem is video ads I think myself now: hostelworld etc. The static ads don't seem to be an issue most of the time. But there's definitely been times I've had the ad open even though I havent hit it rather beside it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I'm using an iPhone 4 with iOS 7.1.2

It's just the Uber ad that's caused any problems for me to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Bush5 Android 4.4.2
    Samsung Galaxy S5 mini

I'm also having the problem regardless of ads tbh - but find though the screen is bigger in my cheapo Bush holding portrait makes the issue worse - held landscape and I can navigate away from errant clicks.

It's not just a problem with boards - many sites have the same easy click ads - but their position is more avoidable - I do think the ad position in the middle of a thread is often the one that catches me out - I also slowed down touch rate which helped a little bit.

It may of may not be a problem for every user - but I do think that interaction on many of the topics has slowed down - this could just be summer traffic but I do wonder if these ads are turning users away - it can be really annoying but I've got used to them at this point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

hitemfrank wrote: »
    They certainly crash my mobile web browser and the times it doesn't crash the browser scrolling down the pages is a juddering mess.

I have to turn off java to make the touch site usable but that's a pain in the hole if I go to any other site that needs java to run properly (which happens a lot of I click just about any link in the threads I'm reading). It then becomes a case of read Boards with java off, click a link in a thread, go into browser settings and turn java on, read the link, go back into browser settings turn java off and then use Boards again.
    To be fair this isnt just a boards problem though, I cant look at rte.ie or the bbc either with java on without it crashing my browser

To be fair this isnt just a boards problem though, I cant look at rte.ie or the bbc either with java on without it crashing my browser

Strange, neither of those sites give me any issues.

Yeah I get it quite a bit on various sites, so much so that I tend to switch off app installations via iOS settings > general > restrictions > installing apps. It stops the App Store from opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

cyning wrote: »
    I'm using an iPhone 5s with iOS 8.2.

The problem is video ads I think myself now: hostelworld etc. The static ads don't seem to be an issue most of the time. But there's definitely been times I've had the ad open even though I havent hit it rather beside it.

iPhone 5 with ios8.2. The Uber ad and also the Gaa guy have started acting up now

iPhone 5c version 8.4

That hostel ad is driving me insane. Over the last few months, I must have as many posts in feedback regarding this issue as I do in all other forums. I certainly check feedback as often as anywhere else due to it.

I'm enjoying boards less and less each day and I don't want to feel like that. The posters should be the dysfunctional ones not the website ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Jiayu S3 4.4 android

iPhone 5c version 8.4

That hostel ad is driving me insane. Over the last few months, I must have as many posts in feedback regarding this issue as I do in all other forums. I certainly check feedback as often as anywhere else due to it.

I'm enjoying boards less and less each day and I don't want to feel like that. The posters should be the dysfunctional ones not the website ;)

Which hostel ad?

These are almost certainly random Google ads that are quite likely tailored to your browsing history, so until you report them (in this thread please) we can't take any action - and we will if they're causing problems.

• Advertisement

Dav wrote: »
    Which hostel ad?

These are almost certainly random Google ads that are quite likely tailored to your browsing history, so until you report them (in this thread please) we can't take any action - and we will if they're causing problems.

Done as requested.

Will that stop the accidentally tapping issue though? That's what I'm peeved about.

Advertisement