Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Natural" way of cutting high grass?

Options
  • 19-06-2015 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

there is a good bit of field/garden that has been growing wild for the last couple of years.
    The grass is very high (up to the hips) and I would love to get it naturally cut...which means eaten by an animal maybe? :)

I'm familiar with horses and kept some on private ground but I don't own one and don't ave the facilities for an electrical fence.

It would only take 1 or two horses/ponies a week and the grass is gone anyway.

Which alternative is there to get the grass down in a similar way?

We have the chance to get it cut by a tractor but would prefer it the "old" way and actually use that grass for something.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Find a man with a scythe

Horses will only eat fresh grass from the shoots, where they can actually get hold of it - they can't grab tall grass

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

or get it cut for hay, which allows anything flowering to dry out and set seed?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

homer911 wrote: »
    Find a man with a scythe

Horses will only eat fresh grass from the shoots, where they can actually get hold of it - they can't grab tall grass

I'm aware of it, hence another NO for horses/ponies :)

cutting it and let it dry/make hay would be a good option too!
    I will also keep a part of the field wild for bee's or other wildlife (especially closer to the trees).

Thought with having some animal eating it (which will lead to natural fertilizers as well) I could kill two birds with a stone

what about goats/sheeps?

I'm not sure what kind of grass they it? (high/low etc?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

If it's been just left alone for a long time there might not be that much there that people would want to animal. Too many weeds, and too weak, so while it's high, it's not very thick possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Another vote for a man/woman with a scythe (great bit of exercise for you !). You need to get the grass down and open the ground up to the sunlight. You can then look into getting some grazing animals in for later in the season.

Might be worth posting in the farming section as you might find somebody local willing to lend you some stock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Three grey geese in a green field grazing?

Advertisement