Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick vs Tipperary - Munster SHC, June 21st

• 19-06-2015 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Luimneach v Tiobraid Árann
    Páirc na nGael, Luimneach - Domhnach, 21 Meitheamh @4:00 i.n.
    Réiteoir: Brian Gavin

Strange being this late into the week and no teams named, both are due to be named tonight. With both sides nursing injuries, it's up in the air as to who will start and what the gameplan is going to be.

Many pundits have tipped the Premier county for the AI this year but they come into this match a bit of an unknown quantity. They were without many of last year's first 15 during the league but still breezed into the semi-final. As the last county to enter the championship fray, they come in under the radar to an extent. It's two months since they were pipped by Waterford in the league semi, a long time indeed since their last competitive match, especially with a number of players due to return who played little or no part in the spring campaign.

Limerick got over the Dublin fiasco in the league quarter final to record a win against Clare that was significant for how the game played out tactically, TJ Ryan and the management showing an ability to deviate from an orthodox 15 and go for a horses-for-courses approach for the first time. The major concern, which Paul Beary has come out and alluded to this week, is still an ability to raise green flags.

With the game already played and the match being on in the Gaelic Grounds, I feel it is advantage Limerick. It's a vastly experienced Limerick team, but Hennessy through Quaid's absence, Seanie O'Brien and of course Cian Lynch have brought a bit of freshness, while potentially at least one of Downes/Breen/O'Grady, along with Fitzgibbon and Dan Morrissey being on the bench mean the overall squad has been slightly strengthened, though Tobin is a big loss. Although the concensus does seem to hold that Tipp are marginal favourites, this year Limerick fans will go into the game with a sense of genuine expectation rather than hope, and all indications point to a big crowd on Ennis Road on Sunday, potentially in excess of 35,000. The key to beating Tipp the last two years has been work-rate: Limerick still need to go into this with a ferocious state of mind, otherwise Tipp always have the potential to blitz a team. A loss for either team isn't the end of the world, but the qualifiers will be a mine-field and getting to a Munster Final opens up the summer until at least the end of July.

The teams, when named, will tell a good bit more.

UPDATE:

Luimneach
    Hennessy, Walsh, McCarthy, Hickey, S O'Brien, O'Mahony, Condon, Ryan, P O'Brien, O'Grady, Hannon, Breen, Mulcahy, Dowling, Lynch

Tiobraid Árann
    Gleeson P Stapleton, Barry, O'Brien, Bergin, P Maher, R Maher, Woodlock, S McGrath, Forde, B Maher, P Maher, O'Dwyer, Callanan, O'Meara

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Both teams with injury worries, likely to be a few guys on the pitch only just back from injury with little hurling done. Paudie Maher reportedly out for Tipp will be a loss. Limerick looked out on their feet towards the end of the Clare game, hope will be conditioning has improved since then. A few ropey performances from some limerick players the last day out that will need to improve massively if we're to have a chance. The hope is the win under their belts will bring the team on. Tipp though had a training weekend away at Carton house last weekend and should be far more primed to go than they have been the last two years.

Expect more of a traditional set up from both teams than the Clare game at least which should make for an exciting game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Haven't heard any reports about Paudie Maher. Where did you hear that?

Bubbles and Barrett are the big injury doubts for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'd like to see the teams line out before making a call tbh, I do think Limerick can definitely do it though. At home, with a game behind them, and surely can only improve.

Tipp will have been aiming at this for a while and will surely not want to lose three-in-a-row to us. But if they have a few big players out, that would be a blow.

Sounds like Gavin & Browne will be available, who had been touted as our biggest worries in addition to Quaid & Breen (who has been playing club).

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

IMO Tipp have only to turn up. (figure of speech, before someone jumps down my throat) I fancy Tipp.

Looking forward to a entertaining game though on a serious note. Munster final of Tipp v this new young Waterford should be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

My latest guess at a team is

Gleeson, Stapleton, Barry, Cahill, Bergin, Paudie Maher, Ronan Maher, Woodlock, Breen, Bubbles, Brendan Maher, Bonnar, Niall O Mear, Callanan & Forde.

Barrett, John McGrath & Lar seem to be still only recovering so don't think any of them will start now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Both teams with injury worries, likely to be a few guys on the pitch only just back from injury with little hurling done. Paudie Maher reportedly out for Tipp will be a loss. Limerick looked out on their feet towards the end of the Clare game, hope will be conditioning has improved since then. A few ropey performances from some limerick players the last day out that will need to improve massively if we're to have a chance. The hope is the win under their belts will bring the team on. Tipp though had a training weekend away at Carton house last weekend and should be far more primed to go than they have been the last two years.

Expect more of a traditional set up from both teams than the Clare game at least which should make for an exciting game.
    Could be a slow start as the players coming back get used to the pace of the game, from a limerick point of view big games needed from Richie at fb to curb callinan and the half back line to provide protection, hoping
    Hannon has a good game to knock the doubters back and get confidence up, very important player for Limerick, will be great to see cian lynch in his home ground, the crowd will be buzzing when he gets on the ball which will suit him, tipp will be dangerous though, I sense a feeling of anticipation in Limerick what with the sell out etc. and that can be dangerous for any Limerick team to handle for some reason,
    would also be great to see the intermediates with a lot of u21s on board get into a Munster final for their continued development...

dcrosskid wrote: »
    My latest guess at a team is

Gleeson, Stapleton, Barry, Cahill, Bergin, Paudie Maher, Ronan Maher, Woodlock, Breen, Bubbles, Brendan Maher, Bonnar, Niall O Mear, Callanan & Forde.

Barrett, John McGrath & Lar seem to be still only recovering so don't think any of them will start now.

Why would you have Bonnar on the wing? He plays his best stuff for Tipp as a centre forward.

I'd go for:
    Gleeson
    Barrett Barry Cahill
    Bergin Paudie COM
    Woodlock SMcG/Breen
    Brendan Bonnar Bubbles
    O'Meara Callinan JMcG
    Stapeton for Barrett if he's not fit and I'd start Shane McGrath if he feels he can do a good 50 minutes. Last year we gave away a lot of sloppy frees and tried to take Callinan away from Richie as much as possible. This year I feel we will have a much better game plan. We just looked so lost yet could have still won that game last year.

The Gaelic Grounds failed a fire officers inspection during the week so the match might not be going ahead at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

glued wrote: »
    Why would you have Bonnar on the wing? He plays his best stuff for Tipp as a centre forward.

I'd go for:
    Gleeson
    Barrett Barry Cahill
    Bergin Paudie COM
    Woodlock SMcG/Breen
    Brendan Bonnar Bubbles
    O'Meara Callinan JMcG
    Stapeton for Barrett if he's not fit and I'd start Shane McGrath if he feels he can do a good 50 minutes. Last year we gave away a lot of sloppy frees and tried to take Callinan away from Richie as much as possible. This year I feel we will have a much better game plan. We just looked so lost yet could have still won that game last year.

The Gaelic Grounds failed a fire officers inspection during the week so the match might not be going ahead at all.

To be honest I dont think the forwards will stick too ridgedly to their positions bar Callanan, i'd expect them to be rotating regularly with Brendan and Bonnar inter-changing the center forward spot. Brendan has played nearly every game in the league at center forward also so that's why I had him down to start there.

I would have Barrett & J McGrath start also only for injuries so can't see either of them starting on Sunday. Ronan should nearly be a certainty also after his league performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

Is this genuine?

dcrosskid wrote: »
    To be honest I dont think the forwards will stick too ridgedly to their positions bar Callanan, i'd expect them to be rotating regularly with Brendan and Bonnar inter-changing the center forward spot. Brendan has played nearly every game in the league at center forward also so that's why I had him down to start there.

I would have Barrett & J McGrath start also only for injuries so can't see either of them starting on Sunday. Ronan should nearly be a certainty also after his league performances.

That's a fair enough assessment. I just don't think Brendan will cut it as a CF.

Some lads are claiming that COM got trained a lot as a full back during the week. COM is a good centre back and wing back but he's not a full back. The main concern with Barry would be his height but he reads the game superbly. Also, both Saint and Barrett are struggling for this one so I wouldn't be surprised to see Connor O'Brien at corner back on Sunday.

Ronan Maher should be starting but I don't think he will. I just hope EOS doesn't go experimenting again this year.

When is the last time Limerick did a three in a row over Tipp in the Munster Championship? Has it ever been done in consecutive years too?

• Advertisement

cnoc wrote: »
    Is this genuine?

Yes, so I've been told but there is a lot of work going on to rectify the problem. I don't know what it failed on exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

That's a fair enough assessment. I just don't think Brendan will cut it as a CF.

Some lads are claiming that COM got trained a lot as a full back during the week. COM is a good centre back and wing back but he's not a full back. The main concern with Barry would be his height but he reads the game superbly. Also, both Saint and Barrett are struggling for this one so I wouldn't be surprised to see Connor O'Brien at corner back on Sunday.

Ronan Maher should be starting but I don't think he will. I just hope EOS doesn't go experimenting again this year.

When is the last time Limerick did a three in a row over Tipp in the Munster Championship? Has it ever been done in consecutive years too?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 The growler

They've done it twice, in the 30s (not 3 years in a row) and in the 40s (3 years in a row 1946, 1947 and 1948).

Tipp won 7 in a row against Limerick between 1997 to 2006 but this doesn't get mentioned as much by Limerick fans for some reason.

Limerick have a good record against Tipp but going by the overall stats on average Tipp win 2 out of every 3 encounters.

Barrett and Cahill out for Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

OBrien, Barry and Stapleton in Tipps full back line on Sunday, there is the game for Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Limerick
    Hennessy, Walsh, McCarthy, Hickey, S O'Brien, O'Mahony, Condon, Ryan, P O'Brien, O'Grady, Hannon, Breen, Mulcahy, Dowling, Lynch

Tipperary
    Gleeson P Stapleton, Barry, O'Brien, Bergin, P Maher, R Maher, Woodlock, S McGrath, Forde, B Maher, P Maher, O'Dwyer, Callanan, O'Meara

That Tipp full-back line may raise a few eyebrows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

Limerick

Tipperary

That Tipp full-back line may raise a few eyebrows...

I would encourage anyone thinking of a bet to throw it on limerick. Limerick are a good team, at home and playing against that tipp full back line will make hay.
    Limerick by 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 The growler

Great chance for Limerick to win this game. That Tipp full back line is notorious for conceding frees. They're quite small also (particularly the 2 corner backs). Expect Limerick to target this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

I was going to go with Limerick on this one but with Browne out, I think this could be a big blow for them. In this last 2 games vs Tipp, he has been essential cog for them in winning the battle around midfield. I think they will need good contributions now from Breen and O'Grady to do it.

I'd agree that Limerick can get at the Tipp full back line, but GG isn't the widest and they will be protected well by Maher. I think the key could be with Hannon at 11. He has always played his best in the position and with Maher never really interested in marking, it's a big opportunity for Hannon to find some form and scores.

That's a wicked set of forwards Tipp have out, possibly the most balanced they have had, with more workrate in Bonnar, B Maher and O'Meara. Bubbles on Hickey should be good as of course Callanan on Richie Mc. I think Tipp to shade it now, they have a bit more firepower up front, but it will be close. I think the midfield battle is everything in a Limerick and Tipperary game. It swings on momentum and whichever team that can win the most possession for their forwards will win, as both set of forwards will fancy their chances of hitting a good score.

Just on a side note, it's a desperate pity that every team in Munster seem to be down a couple of key players. I know injuries are part of the game and all, but there seems to be alot this year for some reason. Micky Cahill, Paul Browne, Seamus Harnedy, Conor McGrath, Pauric Mahony to name a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Yes, so I've been told but there is a lot of work going on to rectify the problem. I don't know what it failed on exactly.

If the dump pairc ui cork can hold a final last year there will be no problems!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Browney7 wrote: »
    If the dump pairc ui cork can hold a final last year there will be no problems!!

Absolutely i sat with my knees behind my ears for 3 hours.not nice

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Have to say I love the quality of the postings here. It is a really good way to get a good insight into a game. I enjoy the genuine and knowledgeable contributions and am looking forward to the game even more as a result. Of course when previewing the game with friends I will sound equally knowledgeable and impressive (by quoting some of what I have read here!) Thanks folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Now that it's matchday and the nerves have settled in fully, I'm going to predict that we win by a couple of points. Goals will be crucial, Limerick have struggled to score them but it's been mentioned by players and management a lot in recent weeks, they seem to be focusing on the problem. Mulcahy, Lynch and Dowling definitely have the potential to score against what is a weakened Tipp full-back line. Still a lot of talent but not their first-choice.

We have also been vulnerable when teams run at us, Bonner has caused us massive problems in the past. Richie has taken Callanan the past couple of years but last year was his best ever season and he only had one sub-par game... Richie hasn't hit the same heights and Callanan may feel that he has something to prove against him. I hope not.

We won't dominate midfield like we did last year without Browne and with Woodlock there but if we can even get a slight edge and move the ball quick to our inside men, I think we will win this. It'll be a tough one.

Looks a bit windy out, not that sunny, hopefully the weather picks up a small bit.

Noel McGrath is another huge loss for Tipp IMO. Even on a bad day he will knock over a couple of points. Cahill and Barrett are massive losses. Stapleton did well when Cahill went down but he gives away a huge amount of frees. Conor O'Brien is similar in that sense but he's not as good as Saint.

Browne is a big loss for Limerick and hopefully Shane McGrath and Woodlock can put in a good shift today. Woodlock was very good last year. Hopefully Breen gets a run out at some stage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 southstand

Hard one to call, I think Limerick have to be favourites being at home and having the edge the last two years, I would be very worried about Tipps full back line, Barrett is a massive loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Lads, What is going on with the advantage rule? Limerick player fouled and ref puts hand up. Then he hits it out over the end line but gets no free.

Shouldn't he get a free from where he was fouled? Advantage rule is interpreted differently by every ref it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Lads, What is going on with the advantage rule? Limerick player fouled and ref puts hand up. Then he hits it out over the end line but gets no free.

Shouldn't he get a free from where he was fouled? Advantage rule is interpreted differently by every ref it seems

I think the referee thought the time had expired on the advantage. It definitely hadn't, but then again Gavin isn't exactly the most competent of referees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

O'Dwyer is just sh*t hot. Best point taker in the country. Deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Absolutely howler of a mistake for the second goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭zetecescort

Tipp like Kilkenny work goal chances better than anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

There is no composure whatsoever in Limerick's play. They're snatching at shots. They need to calm down and realise when its better to hold onto the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

Tipp,s to lose at this stage.. Limerick living off scraps at the moment.. Still only 6 pts in it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Limerick teetering on the brink 7 points down with that breeze is a huge margin. Need scores fast

I know he's young but Cian Lynch is very quiet. I hope the hype hasn't gone to his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Paudie Maher looks like he plays in slippers!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I said this many times limerick defence was porous as a unit and conceded nine goals last five championship games
    Now so far half go conceded elven in six games that's horrendous team trying win all Ireland
    Kk would rip that limerick defence apart at will in a dry day
    Goals goals goals
    Interesting to see can limerick change things
    Six points nothing game hurling so long way to go yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I know he's young but Cian Lynch is very quiet. I hope the hype hasn't gone to his head.

It could be just that he's playing against a much better opposition.

Super point by Maher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Harsh. He has been quiet but several others alongside him have also been quiet.

O'Dwyer is a joke. Class.

• Advertisement

Limerick still in this even though only a few players are playing well for them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

John O'Dwyer is outrageously talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Tipp are on a different level entirely to Limerick. Forwards are absolutley on fire. 2-11 from play against the breeze and could have had 2 more goals. limerick backs in huge trouble but the quality of ball the forwards are getting is absolutley top notch. Paidi Maher dominating the whole game, him and Hannon both playing basically as loose men and Hannon has 3 nice points got but Maher has had by far the greater influence.

I'd be shocked if limerick are within 10 points at the end of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Tbf tipp look like they targeted him. Stapleton got a yellow for tangling with lynch off the ball. A little while ago he hardly had ball in hand when he was marshalled by3 tipp backs.

Game lacking a bit of intensity. Can't see us loosing this one..I hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

We're lucky to only be 6 behind. We need goals and it's doubtful we'll get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

He is being well marked and hasn't seen a lot of ball yet. From a neutrals point of view, I hope he does well today.

SeaFields wrote: »
    He is being well marked and hasn't seen a lot of ball yet. From a neutrals point of view, I hope he does well today.

I do too as I know the lad and he's a very gifted hurler and has real flair about him. Came more into it ironically as the half wore on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Jaysus! With the wind behind it the Tipp puck out nearly landed inside the limerick 21m line. Nightmare for the backs.

Speak of the devil, great take there by Lynch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

First shot was straight at him but Gleeson did really well with the two follow ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

Limerick goal.. 3pts in it now.. Game on!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement