Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which type of wood flooring to go for

• 19-06-2015 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I am trying to decide whether to go for solid wood or re-eengineered to put in our sitting room, we currently have a dingy looking carpet. Would you have any recommendations? Would we be able to install them ourselves or would we need someone to do it for us? I think we want to stay clear from laminate as they don't seem as durable. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

chatperche wrote: »
    I am trying to decide whether to go for solid wood or re-eengineered to put in our sitting room, we currently have a dingy looking carpet. Would you have any recommendations? Would we be able to install them ourselves or would we need someone to do it for us? I think we want to stay clear from laminate as they don't seem as durable. Thanks

I'm no expert but I've laid an engineered oak floor in my own house and helped put down a solid oak floor in a family members house. In terms of looks, both are brilliant and either option would be a huge improvement over an old carpet. Which one would I choose? well that its up to you really. I wouldn't say one was any easier than the other to put down but experts might have a different opinion.

The engineered floor we chose for our own place is 6mm oak (I think) so it should be good for a couple of sandings if needed. First thing I'd do is measure the floor area and then go to a local builders providers or timber merchants to get an idea of what is available.

If you know someone that has put down a wooden floor before and you have access to the right tools, it would be very doable yourself. If not it might be better to get a few quotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

chatperche wrote: »

Good quality, i.e. industrial quality laminate is always more durable than natural timber, which despite being called hardwood, is still much softer than laminate.
    Price both, will send u a pm of one place that does good stuff.

in addition, the engineered stuff is usually thicker than laminate leading to issues at the door

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement