Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying holiday home in Gaeltacht

Options
  • 19-06-2015 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We are thinking of buying a holiday home in connemara in the Gaeltacht region. We love this part of the country.
    I have had a lot of mixed reports from friends and reading online about how we would be accepted by the community. We are from Dublin and we are not fluent in Irish, although all willing to try and kids love to practice.
    Should we look somewhere else? Or is this unfair on how welcoming the communities are?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

pippa175 wrote: »
    We are thinking of buying a holiday home in connemara in the Gaeltacht region. We love this part of the country.
    I have had a lot of mixed reports from friends and reading online about how we would be accepted by the community. We are from Dublin and we are not fluent in Irish, although all willing to try and kids love to practice.
    Should we look somewhere else more open to 'outsiders'? Or is this unfair on how welcoming the communities are?
    Thanks

Where are you thinking?

And what would you class as unwelcoming? In my experience if you're willing to chat to people they'll chat back. You're not going to be ostracised. The Bull McCabe isn't going to come after you with a rock. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pippa175

Das Kitty wrote: »
    The Bull McCabe isn't going to come after you with a rock. :P

haha, fair enough!

We were looking anywhere between Spiddal up to Roundstone area.

I had read some old forum posts from people who don't believe non-irish speakers should be allowed purchase in some parts of the Gaeltacht as it is pushing out locals etc. I understand the point to be fair. I just wouldn't want to go where we wouldn't be welcome. Got me nervous ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Roundstone, you're probably as likely to hear Irish in Broadstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

Ah you'll be grand buying wherever really. Inverin, Ros a Mhíl, Carraroe, Lettermor etc, would be the stongest for Irish but you're not going to be run out of town for speaking English! Echoing what Cyclingtourist said, you wouldn't hear a word of it around Roundstone or Clifden really.

The most likely place you'll come across Irish is in a shop but sure all that would be is, 'Cén chaoi ina bhfuil tú?' ('How are you?').

If you really wanted to go all out, you could learn, 'Aon chraic/scéal?' ('Any craic/news?') and 'Diabhal chraic/scéal' ('No craic/news.'), and that's about all the social interaction you'll need with most locals!

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Roundstone is full of Dubs :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Roundstone is full of Dubs :-)

Since the golf course opened Roundstone has become D4 - West

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pippa175

Thanks for the replies.

Trying to get away from Dublin for the holidays, might avoid Roundstone so!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TRADES SUPPLY AVAILABLE

There are beautiful places on the outskirts of Connemara (north Connemara) that are mixed, locating a holiday home to more of a tourist/visiting area generally would have more of a sense of acceptance because the locals are used to a mix of people/nationalities in the locality, plus if you're going to be using it for yourselves and perhaps rental ? then having a place in the tourist areas normally has a lot more to offer, taking a trip heading into Mayo along the coast is also amazing and a big seller!!......

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TRADES SUPPLY AVAILABLE

There are beautiful places on the outskirts of Connemara (north Connemara) that are mixed, locating a holiday home to more of a tourist/visiting area generally would have more of a sense of acceptance because the locals are used to a mix of people/nationalities in the locality, plus if you're going to be using it for yourselves and perhaps rental ? then having a place in the tourist areas normally has a lot more to offer, taking a trip heading into Mayo along the coast is also amazing and a big seller!!......Leenaun, Maam, Cornamona, Clonbur, Cong check out connemara dot ie, But most of all do plenty of research, purchasing a holiday home is a substantial commitment !!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Eilis Plasticpaddy

Hi Pippa, I think Connemara is the best area where to buy a holiday home; I did this one year ago, and now I live here on regular basis and I'm Irish resident (I'm originally from Italy). I bought in Renvyle Peninsula and locals are SOOOO friendly; no problem for the language -they mainly speak English, and greatly appreciate if you know some basic expressions in Irish, like "Thank you" or "hello" and "Bye", but anyway they welcome you with the warmest friendship!! Last year practically all our neighbours came on their initiative to tell us "HI, welcome in Renvyle!!" and to offer their help if we needed something!! My husband and I are so happy with our choice and don't have the least complain about any second we have spent here from last year up to now. My advice is: let yourself to be involved in community life (for instance I'm actively helping in the local Pet Rescue Centre) and try to attend and be handy during local events (Letterfrack Bog week and Sea week, Connemara mussels festival etc.) I'm sure you'll feel at home and remember: "there are no strangers here, only friends you've not met yet"!
    Best of luck for your new house!

• Advertisement
Advertisement