Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card Failing?

Options
  • 19-06-2015 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Nvidia GeForce GTS 240 installed in my Dell computer. I bought it in 2010 and mainly use it for gaming but as of late I'm running into a problem when playing games. Out of the blue the screen will go black and while I can still hear sound, I can't access the screen at all. I can't enter task manager or anything, I have to force turn off and turn the machine back on.

Just wondering if this is definitely a problem with the graphics card and not something else? Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Simplest way to test that would be to remove graphics card and plug into the motherboard instead. If problem is gone then its the graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Any other way? Games are freezing now and unplayable to do a comprehensive check :( Thanks for the suggestion :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Bonavox wrote: »
    Any other way? Games are freezing now and unplayable to do a comprehensive check :( Thanks for the suggestion :)

It could be a software issue rather than hardware. download the latest Nvidia display driver from www.nvidia.com and also download DDU. Use DDU to properly uninstall all Nvidia driver traces and then install the latest Nvidia driver. This may resolve the crashing issue

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Had the same type of thing with a Nvidia GeForce GTS 240 on the DellXPS laptop.

Used to freeze, sometimes bluescreen and long beep. Just rolled back the graphics driver, turned off updates and always keep the fan clear (was overheating a bit) has been fine for the last year or so now. The soundcard has gone now though (no sound at all)...

Advertisement