Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location in Dublin with most professional working

Options
  • 19-06-2015 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi,

I am not familiar with the different areas around Dublin geographically, of course I have heard all the names, Malahide, Rathfarnham, Terenure, Dalkey, Howth etc etc etc but what areas would be in high demand rental wise from professionals.

Would it be areas around the IFSC for financial professionals who want to be located within close proximity to work?

Are there a number of different areas I should be looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I hate the use of the phrase "Professionals" as it implies the rest of us are Amateurs! We're all doing it for the money.

Are you looking to rent a place for yourself or rent to these "professionals".

If the former - Where will you be working? Most areas of Dublin have a mix of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Different people live everywhere. My motto is you should live close to where you work if you can afford to, regardless of where other people live.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

cgcsb wrote: »
    Different people live everywhere. My motto is you should live close to where you work if you can afford to, regardless of where other people live.

I agree, who wants to drive an hour to and from work everyday if they can afford not too. Thats why I asked the question, where are the areas I should be most looking towards. Like where are the technology companies based? What are is home to the financial services sector? Where are the good private/public hospitals situated? Things like that.

Thanks for the link, its quite dated now though-2011.

Going off that link Rather, Rathmines, Donnybrook, Ballsbrigde, Dartry, Grand Canal Dock, Clontarf maybe......Would this sound right and why are professional located in these areas?

Schem: Im just trying to figure out what areas would be in high demand to people looking to rent out a apartment/house?
    What areas held up well or better than others during the GFC? Do people prefer apartments moreso than house in Dublin for security
    or what are most in demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭cgcsb

b4bmm wrote: »
    I agree, who wants to drive an hour to and from work everyday if they can afford not too. Thats why I asked the question, where are the areas I should be most looking towards. Like where are the technology companies based? What are is home to the financial services sector? Where are the good private/public hospitals situated? Things like that.

Well if you're intending to move to Dublin I'd highly recommend you get a job secured before you go renting apartments.
    Schem: Im just trying to figure out what areas would be in high demand to people looking to rent out a apartment/house?
    What areas held up well or better than others during the GFC? Do people prefer apartments moreso than house in Dublin for security
    or what are most in demand?

Are you seeking to buy a property as an investment here or are you seeking to move here? :confused:

If you are seeking a property for investment you'd be better seeking the advice of an estate agent: Savills, CBRE and DTZ are all quite knowledgeable on the subject?

• Advertisement

Im looking to buy an investment place.

Regarding all the estate agents you mentioned I could do that and most probably will do that but not until I educate myself more first.
    After all they are businesses and will do whats best for them not for me, thats how I see it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,679 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If your looking to buy an investment place look to basket case areas in the country where you could buy 10 houses/apartments for the same as a single 3 bed for €400k in a desirable area. Even if 2 of the 10 are awkward tennants you will make much more than on 1 €400k property where there's too many variables.

If your looking to buy an investment place look to basket case areas in the country where you could buy 10 houses/apartments for the same as a single 3 bed for €400k in a desirable area. Even if 2 of the 10 are awkward tennants you will make much more than on 1 €400k property where there's too many variables.

I dont think this is anyway realistic. Any place you could get like you said such as 8-10 apartments would be in an area with no demand to get it at the same price as a 3 bed house. You have 5 times the maintenance costs etc. This is not a real world scenario IMO. I do agree you can pick up such a property cheaper than before but it would be high risk and you would need a lot of capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Im looking to buy an investment place.

Regarding all the estate agents you mentioned I could do that and most probably will do that but not until I educate myself more first.
    After all they are businesses and will do whats best for them not for me, thats how I see it anyway.

So, what's in it for us?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

You wont go far wrong in the Dublin Docklands

• Advertisement
Advertisement