Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dress code for clubs in town?

Options
  • 19-06-2015 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So I'm going to the Palace tonight because the LC is over, never been in town and was just wondering if I could get turned away for wearing the wrong shoes or clothes etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Shirt, jeans and shoes (not runners) you'll be grand. Anything else and your giving them an excuse to turn you away. Unless you're a woman, then i dont know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Be dressed and you should be fine.

If you're overly worried - shirt, jeans and shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Casual but dressy, jeans nice top or shirt and shoes, Not runners or football tops usually they will refuse entry, My husband was a doorman for many years and 2 of the things that were a no-no were runners and football tops, Make sure you have id as I'm sure they be double checking on that as they will know the LC finished today,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Majority clubs in Dublin are not strict at all, t-shirt, jeans and runners will get you in nearly anywhere. Palace isn't over 18s by the way on the weekends unless it's changed, used to be over 20s iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,884 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Shoes have not, as yet, made a comeback on the dress codes of clubs in Dublin. Last time around, a "shoes only" coded club generally was full of scumbags in Penneys slacks and shoes, Ben Sherman jumpers, and incalculably more dodgy than clubs without them.

Make sure any runners worn are clean and not Airmax / Reebok Classics and you're usually fine. If you're only 18 you're far more likely to be turned away if you've had a few before hand than someone older would be, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sombrero, mankini, and wellingtons.

Not only will you get in, but you're practically guaranteed to pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

endacl wrote: »
    Sombrero, mankini, and wellingtons.

Not only will you get in, but you're practically guaranteed to pull.

So that's were I've been going wrong all these years.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

L1011 wrote: »
    Shoes have not, as yet, made a comeback on the dress codes of clubs in Dublin. Last time around, a "shoes only" coded club generally was full of scumbags in Penneys slacks and shoes, Ben Sherman jumpers, and incalculably more dodgy than clubs without them.

Make sure any runners worn are clean and not Airmax / Reebok Classics and you're usually fine. If you're only 18 you're far more likely to be turned away if you've had a few before hand than someone older would be, though.

Thank fook, from the first batch of replies I feared my home city had regressed a decade to those sad days where shoes were the law. Work are sending me over next week for a couple of days and I had no intention in packing anything other than some retro adidas or cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭Blut2

Dublin is one of the most casual non-beach locations for getting past bouncers around, in my experience. The bouncers here will let in drunker people, in more casual clothes, than most other European capitals. Someone whos in their 20s will get into nearly anywhere in town in a tshirt and runners as long as theyre not completely bladdered.

Long gone are the pre 2006 days of shirt'n'shoes, thankfully. It always struck me as very stupid, knackers would just throw on a pair of Pennys shoes to get around it if they had to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Be grand in runners.Frankly i think someone going into a club in black shiny shoes would look a bit sinister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Where are people getting off with the shirt and shoes thing? T-shirt and runners are fine in Dublin; in fact, at your age they might make you look more at ease with the whole nightlclub thing that a "My first big night out" shirt 'n shoes attire.

"Smart dress essential" is typically a good way of spotting a ****hole club in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,884 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where are people getting off with the shirt and shoes thing?

Being over 25 and remembering the days when clubs used it to create false "exclusivity". Couple of wanky dumps that think they're fancy still do it; that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

L1011 wrote: »
    Being over 25 and remembering the days when clubs used it to create false "exclusivity". Couple of wanky dumps that think they're fancy still do it; that's about it.
    Past the 25 mark myself, started clubbing in 2006 and it didn't seem to be that much of a thing back then. Granted, at the start I did have the notion that going out = shirt and shoes, and there may have been one or two occasions where they turned me back purportedly on the basis of my footwear. But I think that had as much to do with me being drunk and 18 as anything.

I believe that some midlands dens of aggression and violence still require you to wear shoes if you want to be in with the opportunity of having your ear bitten off by someone for looking at their pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

40 here and definitely past it but I agree that the smart dress and "over 25" rules and regulations are just there to give staff an excuse to turn away drunks. As with any rule, you will get the odd power-tripper who'll abuse it but pay them no heed. The money is better off in your pocket.
    And for pities sake, you can get wasted in plenty of Dublin pubs until 2 AM. If you really need to get laid, there's usually a fair maiden in need of a prince lying in the gutter outside Coppers (speaking of which, just don't look sober going in there, they'll think you're a dealer).

Advertisement