Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Adapter

• 19-06-2015 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get a cheap adapter for this plug.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Thats a weird one. Just cut it off and fit a standard one. Assuming the appliance is 230V.

It's Australian. Try travel adapters. Ozzyland is 230V 50Hz.

I'd cut it off and fit a BS 13A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Definitely just cut it off its Aussi or Chinese and looks like it has unsheathed pins which I'd potentially quite dangerous compared to Irish or Euro plugs which are designed to avoid finger contact with pins.

China and Aus/NZ are 230V 50Hz same as here so you've nothing to worry about voltage wise.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    .. Irish or Euro plugs which are designed to avoid finger contact with pins.

I thought they were just cheaping out on copper. A proper uk style plug is much safer and more wholesome than a that plug with half the conductor gauge into a Chinese one-for-all.

No idea what phase and neutral colours are in Oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I thought they were just cheaping out on copper. A proper uk style plug is much safer an more wholesome than a that plug with half the conductor gauge into a Chinese one-for-all.

No idea what phase and neutral colours are in Oz.

The pins are sheathed on all modern Irish, UK and continental plugs that go into flat sockets. The normal continental plugs are 16amp with unsheathed pins and a recessed socket, so you can't touch the pins because the socket covers them completely on the way in.

I think Australia may have adopted those requirements too.

Most of the rest of the world doesn't seem to worry about zapping fingers.

Putting the right plug on is essential.

Modern Australian and Chinese cables should have the same core colours as we use. Brown Live, Blue a Neutral and Stripey green/Yellow earth.

The U.S. is one of the only places that doesn't use Euro derived colour codes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement