Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS Acting up allowance?

Options
  • 19-06-2015 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi all,

2 colleagues of mine were both initially employed in quite junior roles but after a few years they were asked to carry out different duties in very different and much more complex areas of the Department.

I was very surprised to learn that they are still on the initial junior contracts after 5 years and 9 years respectively! I know this might seem extraordinary to some of you but through a combination of worry and being unsure about procedure they have chosen to keep their heads down and just get on with things.

The problem since then is that new staff members doing the same jobs have been employed on higher salaries. Other staff in the department speak openly about receiving acting up allowances when they change roles.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If they are happy as is then what's the problem, if not then they should approach their manager and discuss the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Acting up allowances have gone. Why did they not apply for the new jobs when they came up?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Hi , thanks for your help.

First of all where did I say they were happy?

Secondly, acting up allowances have not gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hi , thanks for your help.

First of all where did I say they were happy?

Secondly, acting up allowances have not gone.
    5 & 9 years without saying a word to their managers, its hard to think they were doing much about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

_Brian wrote: »
    5 & 9 years without saying a word to their managers, its hard to think they were doing much about it either.

Thats a fair point but nothing to do with what I asked in the opening post. If anyone who works in the public sector could give me some advice based on HR practice or similar I would be grateful.

Whether anyone above thinks they were weak or silly is neither here nor there. They are hard workers, enjoy their jobs but having finally spoken to someone about what is going on it is obvious that is causing them a lot of stress and worry. Everyone is different etc,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't really know what advice you are looking for. I would advice them to go to HR and/or union and find out what options are available to them.Even for the PS that's a long time to on the "wrong" grade/contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 19cappagh

I've to acting into a roll over 5 years and didn't get the interview for the job I'm doing , what happens now after 5 years , what right have i ad I PS worker

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

I thought there was something about if you had been acting up for 3 years you had to be considered for the role but I'm not sure if that is across the board or was local to the area I was in.

Advertisement