Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lifting a lawn for a flower bed

Options
  • 19-06-2015 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

I'm thinking of lifting a section of the lawn and put down some coloured stone with a few plants on it. Spraying off the grass renting a rotavator to brake the ground before putting the weed barrier down.

Would a rotavotor brake the ground up ? or what the best way to lift the sod ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

If it's only a small area you could do it with a spade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

If it's only a small area you could do it with a spade

And fork😃😃😃

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Took up 15 sq meters last year. Didn't bother spraying... Hired a sod cutter. Job done in about an hour.

It just cuts the sod off the top, you roll it up, and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

It's way too big of an area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

SCOL wrote: »
    It's way too big of an area.
    Way too big for what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Sod cutter is the way to go, but make sure it's an area you can turn it in etc, they tricky to use in tight small areas. But that being said if you can do the bulk with sod cutter and last bit by hand, you'll do it way quicker.
    Ideally you could spray off with round up the lawn first and 2 weeks later use sod cutter.

That's what I'm thinking of doing, Round up and 2 weeks later sod cutter and then level it off with the rovator. I assume the sod cutter just takes off 1-2 inches off. weed barrier and then stone the lot.

Yeah, you could go mad and spray the ground after you turn the soil. But really, weeds will come in anyway from the air etc.
    Once you have the beds in you could spray with something like Pistol or Sustain that has something in it to keep the weeds from germinating, only problem is you ain't supposed to use it on newly planted areas really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

SCOL wrote: »
    That's what I'm thinking of doing, Round up and 2 weeks later sod cutter and then level it off with the rovator. I assume the sod cutter just takes off 1-2 inches off. weed barrier and then stone the lot.

Why rotovate?
    You will only bring new seeds into play!
    Cut the sod, turn upside down, "weed barrier and then stone the lot".;)

OK, No rotavating then.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Rotating would be good for soil though, get some air in there, get it draining nicely, you'll get more weeds after but if you've a sprayer and round up on the side, sure just hit the weeds once a week when they poke up, it'll take 2 mins to spray them.
    You'll have better growing conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Why bother with roundup? You're just lifting it and taking that layer away anyway.

Spot kill the weeds after you've taken the sod off. Don't waste your time/money spraying beforehand. No point.

There are alot of weeds in the section of garden, If I lift the sod you leave the roots of the weeds so eventually they will grow again and they will get through the weed barrier so I think I'll spray 2 weeks before that way it kills everything
    and them stone.

Spray them babies! Take no prisoners.

Advertisement