Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedic/EMT Process

Options
  • 19-06-2015 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for a bit info on the process of becoming a Paramedic/EMT. I've read the HSE and different websites but still seem unsure of how I could go about getting started.

Any info/forums/websites that supply good info welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Hi folks,

Looking for a bit info on the process of becoming a Paramedic/EMT. I've read the HSE and different websites but still seem unsure of how I could go about getting started.

Any info/forums/websites that supply good info welcome!

Basically to become a paramedic in Ireland you either
    1. get recruited as a student paramedic with the national ambulance service
    So you need to apply when they advertise last time was 2013 to do this you will need a leaving cert with maths and science PHECC EMT accepted instead of science if you had it

2. You get recruited by Dublin fire brigade as a firefighter and you will also be trained as a paramedic not sure on the process but I seen today they may recruit soon

3 there is a private Company who do a private paramedic course but it costs a lot and you get a US qualification not Irish and you fight you're case with phecc to register in Ireland

Now to become a EMT you can
    1 join a volunteer ambulance org and train trough them

2 go to various private training schools and train trough them will cost you about €2000

If it's a job you are looking to get there is not many jobs as a EMT

Good website to start with would be pheccs website https://www.phecit.ie they are the regulator and have links to all training providers and work from there

Also register on public jobs.ie for job alerts for emergency services https://www.publicjobs.ie/candidateportal/
    and also look here the 2013 student paramedic tread will have loads of info if you give it a browse http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056918256

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Really appreciate that sjb25! I will have a look at that link. The option I am thinking about is with the national ambulance service.

Looking on the HSE site, if you complete all training etc.. you may be stationed anywhere in Ireland that has a vacancy, which is a bit of a sh*te. You could be stationed anywhere then really?

Really appreciate that sjb25! I will have a look at that link. The option I am thinking about is with the national ambulance service.

Looking on the HSE site, if you complete all training etc.. you may be stationed anywhere in Ireland that has a vacancy, which is a bit of a sh*te. You could be stationed anywhere then really?

Well yes you can be placed anywhere within the NAS both during the placements and when qualified but they try and keep you as close as possible as far as I know and also there is a transfer scheme so after a while you will be able to transfer if that's what you need to do

Have a look at this this is the booklet we got when applying in 2013 it had all info in it http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/publication/document/NRS0845_Additional_Campaign_Information_Student_Paramedic.pdf

Also training will be in ballinasloe or tallagh

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Also dont forget that NAS is moving away from recruiting student Paramedics.
    It will eventually be done through a degree course in University.

Tripp wrote: »
    Also dont forget that the HSE is moving away from recruiting student Paramedics.

This is also true but I can see another recruitment the UCD program had been put back till sept 2016 then 3 or 4 years before any of them are qualified the current panel maybe has 2-3 classes left I'd say one more recruitment will happen just my opionon tho

• Advertisement

Also dont forget that NAS is moving away from recruiting student Paramedics.

You would hardly know the time-scale Tripp, say in the next few months or years?

I was with the Red Cross for roughly 2 years doing CPR & Basic injury courses but the teacher was very laid back and we only received maybe 1 or 2 certificate's off her... would any of that stand to me?

If I was to get in with the local Order Of Malta, would it be possible after a few years of training with them to receive an EMT certificate? I was reading somewhere that if I had an EMT qualification, it would help to get in to the Paramedic Trainee program, is it true?

Sorry for all the questions folks!

You would hardly know the time-scale Tripp, say in the next few months or years?

I was with the Red Cross for roughly 2 years doing CPR & Basic injury courses but the teacher was very laid back and we only received maybe 1 or 2 certificate's off her... would any of that stand to me?

If I was to get in with the local Order Of Malta, would it be possible after a few years of training with them to receive an EMT certificate? I was reading somewhere that if I had an EMT qualification, it would help to get in to the Paramedic Trainee program, is it true?

Sorry for all the questions folks!

The college coarse was ment to start this year but is put back till next at earliest like I said it will be 4-5 years before any of these paramedics will he on the road so I would say there will be another NAS student paramedic recruitment at some stage
    All vol experience will stand to you it gave me loads to talk about at interview and you also meet EMTs paramedics and advanced paramedics working in the NAS And get bit if an insight into the service which all helped me at interview I have no doubt I'm in the Red Cross myself started at 16 did basic first aid and all the rest then I did my EMT with the Red Cross I'm in it years tough but I'm sure omac would be the same after a few years you will get trained up
    The EMT will help it shows interest in the area etc at interview

sjb25 wrote: »
    The college coarse was ment to start this year but is put back till next at earliest like I said it will be 4-5 years before any of these paramedics will he on the road so I would say there will be another NAS student paramedic recruitment at some stage
    All vol experience will stand to you it gave me loads to talk about at interview and you also meet EMTs paramedics and advanced paramedics working in the NAS And get bit if an insight into the service which all helped me at interview I have no doubt I'm in the Red Cross myself started at 16 did basic first aid and all the rest then I did my EMT with the Red Cross I'm in it years tough but I'm sure omac would be the same after a few years you will get trained up
    The EMT will help it shows interest in the area etc at interview

Nice one! Really appreciate all that. Are you on the road yourself?

Just looking on the HSE site again, it says if you were to be selected after having interview etc.. you go on to do the ten month training period and then one year internship at a location assigned by the Service, that could be anywhere at all?

Ballinasloe is about 30 minutes away from where I am, are the colleges likely to change locations?

My last question lol! During the 10 month training period, would you go on the road or is it all done on-site?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

The College has moved/in process of moving to Tallaght where all Training is to be done

The College has moved/in process of moving Tallaght where all Training is to be done

How wonderful lol

• Advertisement

Nice one! Really appreciate all that. Are you on the road yourself?

Just looking on the HSE site again, it says if you were to be selected after having interview etc.. you go on to do the ten month training period and then one year internship at a location assigned by the Service, that could be anywhere at all?

Ballinasloe is about 30 minutes away from where I am, are the colleges likely to change locations?

My last question lol! During the 10 month training period, would you go on the road or is it all done on-site?

Thanks again

Not on the road yet am on the panel hoping to start some time soon
    Doubt colleges will change
    Training is two years in all before you qualify first year it is divided up between class time in the college placements on ambulances and hospital placement also second year is all internship so out on the ambulance mainly with some Clara time in there aswell for bits and pieces
    And yes these placements could be anywhere

The College has moved/in process of moving Tallaght where all Training is to be done

There is a brand new class starting in ballinasloe on the 7th of September but think the plan is to move the training for future classes bu that was said before

There is a brand new class starting in ballinasloe on the 7th of September but think the plan is to move the training for future classes bu that was said before

That's a bit of a sh*te!

That's a bit of a sh*te!

I was told before no more classes would be in ballinasloe there has been two classes there since I was told that so anything could happen

I was told before no more classes would be in ballinasloe there has been two classes there since I was told that so anything could happen

You'd imagine that they'd have more college's in different locations, it's a balls for people say in Cork etc...

Advertisement