Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you had one piece of IM advice, what would it be?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone racing in various IMs this weekend, especially to the first-timers. Whoop whoop!!! :)

+1

Looking forward to tracking folks this weekend. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Your place then? :D

That depends how he gets on in his head to head with Mrs AKW at Challenge Galway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    That depends how he gets on in his head to head with Mrs AKW at Challenge Galway :pac:

Oh is the Yankee contingent of TDAR doing Galway????

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

1 - Ignore target times (for your first race) Aim should be steady throughout all three disciplines.

2 - If you have zip wheels practice changing them especially if value extensions are in place = go on a long practice cycle and get off you bike and deflate one of your tyres. Changing one in your shed or garage is not the same thing. Also - It is so easy to split tubes when under pressure so carry enough.

3 - Nutrition - already mentioned but key especially in the heat. Have a plan b, c,d in case of issues - e.g sick, toilet, weather changed,no coke left on stands etc

4 - Enjoy the whole experience - the whole day - yes keep focused but you will never replicate the feeling of finishing your first ironman as there is always a bit of fear that you won't make it and when you do that feeling is amazing:cool:

5 - When you join the IM club celebrate you achievement as its a big deal ( despite what some will say) however try and remain humble where possible in the aftermath - a common trait for some (not all) triathletes is that they let it sometimes go to their head :o and they can be pain for their non triathletes friends/family/partners to be be around.

6 - In the days afterwards - write a race report - not just for boards or your club website but so you can look back on the day later on - as you will be surprised how much you will forgot. Take some photos too - to remind youself.

Best of luck over the next few weekends as its peak season for many of the european races.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

tunney wrote: »
    Oh is the Yankee contingent of TDAR doing Galway????

You talking to me, or to AKW/Mrs. AKW????

• Advertisement

You talking to me, or to AKW/Mrs. AKW????

You! Are you doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You! Are you doing it?

I am registered. ;)

I am registered. ;)

Looks like I will definitely have to go watch this event now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Looks like I will definitely have to go enter watch this event now!!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Casula

Resurrecting this thread. Interested in hearing any views from IM veterans on clincher tyre choice. Usually race ultremo ZXs but fear they might be a bit light for IM distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

Don't fuc# up your nutrition!!!!

That's from experience.

Did Wales a few years ago. Ended up drinking the drink they provide. Puked up half way through run...race over...ended up walking the rest. Towards the end all I wanted to do was sit down on the kerb and fall asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Casula wrote: »
    Resurrecting this thread. Interested in hearing any views from IM veterans on clincher tyre choice. Usually race ultremo ZXs but fear they might be a bit light for IM distance.

GP4000S, roll well and durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

GP4000S, roll well and durable.

would 2nd this, great tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I found delivery from these guys pretty quick, but that may not be everyone's experience - cheapest I can find GP4K anyway.

http://www.sportpursuit.com/grand-prix-4000-s-ii-folding-tyres-2-pack

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fermtri

How much are they there? Can't see without signing up and I don't want to do that. Wiggle price match guarantee should mean I can get them to match it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

€68 for a pair, and they actually have 25mm where a lot of the online retailers are out of stock.

Advertisement