Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why a zeon over i5 ?

Options
  • 19-06-2015 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭

Just wondering why the interest in zeons over an i5,

whos actually running an zeon on a gaming rig and why not just buy an i7 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

They've hyperthreading, which i5s don't have, and they're cheaper than i7s.

Depends on budget, with DX12 coming, hyperthreading could improve gaming performance, but I'd only recommend a Xeon for video editing, or gaming where nothing else is suffering in its place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The i5 has 4 cores and 4 threads, Xeon has 4 cores and 8 threads - it is an i7 but cheaper basically. Doesn't have an integrated GPU but that makes no difference in a gaming rig obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

what about first post what graphics card would you use when loading OS when doing a zeon build because most gaming gpus wont work right out of box with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

levitronix wrote: »
    what about first post what graphics card would you use when loading OS when doing a zeon build because most gaming gpus wont work right out of box with it ?

Not really sure what the first half of your sentence is supposed to mean, but in any case, nothing special or different about a xeon, they're like any other CPUs. Any GPU will work with them.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Not really sure what the first half of your sentence is supposed to mean, but in any case, nothing special or different about a xeon, they're like any other CPUs. Any GPU will work with them.

sorry i meant when you first turn on your system ,system check in bios and then OS load,
    ive only very limited experience building pcs 3 builds but everytime i built one the gpu never worked out of the box always had to use onboard graphics to get everything working before switching to the gpu for graphics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It will work with a PCI-e GPU. The graphics will be at a low resolution until you install the drivers.

levitronix wrote: »
    ive only very limited experience building pcs 3 builds but everytime i built one the gpu never worked out of the box always had to use onboard graphics to get everything working before switching to the gpu for graphics

I have never countered that issue in 100's of PC builds!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The one thing that makes the i5 really handy if you have to RMA your GPU. It's really handy if you don't have a spare GPU lying around.

(And FYI, integrated graphics on a 4790K will just about play Elite: Dangerous)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Some Xeon chips do have an integrated GPU.

The E3 Xeons ending in "5" have integrated graphics. For example, the E3-1225 V3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

also ecc registered ram for xeons

• Advertisement

also ecc registered ram for xeons

You don't need ECC ram.

You don't need ECC ram.
    that doesn't change the fact that xeons support ecc ram.. which would be a reason someone would choose a xeon over an i7

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Aren't Xeons designed for server use where the i5 and i7 are for personal use?

that doesn't change the fact that xeons support ecc ram.. which would be a reason someone would choose a xeon over an i7

Not all motherboards that support the xeon support ECC Ram though.

Most people here choose the Xeon because it's cheaper I would imagine.

Not all motherboards that support the xeon support ECC Ram though.

Most people here choose the Xeon because it's cheaper I would imagine.

yep I agree

I have never countered that issue in 100's of PC builds!

I only have a tv no monitor is that why I ve had problems with a blank screen on first start up

Aren't Xeons designed for server use where the i5 and i7 are for personal use?

Xeons are designed to be able to run at Max capacity for a long while, which makes them more suited to i7s in servers, but they're interchangeable in most cases. Peofessional or business servers would obviously be doing it right and picking the Xeon of course

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The Xeon you usually pick for builds Digital Solitude is a really cheap Xeon, the proper server ones are usually a grand and higher. Some are even a few grand.

Ah I know yeah, I've seen 18 cores that are like 2k, its crazy, you know what I mean though

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

My server has a cheap Xeon, an E3-1245. Does the job and is basically never really pushed. But it is running 24/7. And it's got ECC memory...

• Advertisement
Advertisement