Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal men's clothes

• 19-06-2015 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

Was in town the other day, wanted to buy a couple of shirts. Everywhere I went it was the same garbage. Debenhams, BT, Chapps.. One shirt in BT was nice but it was 140 quid. That was it. The options were surfer dude, 12yo boy or colour-blind.. Where the heck do you buy decent men's clothes in Limerick?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

TK Maxx. My boyfriend has good luck there and he is a big fan of "normal" jeans and nothing too wacky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Sextons on Thomas St are decent. Noels on Wickham St also. Have given up on the likes of chaps, river island etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Parchment wrote: »
    TK Maxx. My boyfriend has good luck there and he is a big fan of "normal" jeans and nothing too wacky.
    Yeah I might give it another chance. I'm not a huge fan of the setup in TK Maxx. Don't like rummaging through racks and racks of clothes.

vkid wrote: »
    Sextons on Thomas St are decent. Noels on Wickham St also. Have given up on the likes of chaps, river island etc
    Will have a look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

If by chaps you mean Connollys then how do they differ from Noels, you can't really limp River Island in with Connollys when you make a generalisation like that. Sorry for being pedantic.
    Op, quite a good sale in bt at the moment. You should be able to get some very nice shirts for a lot less than 140.
    Tkmaxx can be hit and miss and like you I don't like the rummaging. I usually end up buying something I'll never wear as well because it seems like a bargain.
    Zara might be worth a look . Mego in the crescent do nice selected homme stuff as well. That's my taste though. You'll probably need to shop around to find what you like. What kind of shirts were you looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Are you one of these jumper casually thrown over the shoulder types?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Where do folks buy decent shirts in town? Some of the tops in Debenhams are a fairly awful fit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Dunnes for jeans, Next for shirts. I can never understand whay anyone would pay the prices in places like Connollys or Noels.

For Jeans I find quality pays, they last more longer, the material is excellent and you get a good fit. Levi's/Diesel/Jasper Conran/Jeff Banks are the ones I like.

Next do a few good jumpers/mock-shirts but don't expect long wear off them. Sextons have a few decent jumpers that may cost a bit but you get good wear out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AMB

Was in town the other day, wanted to buy a couple of shirts. Everywhere I went it was the same garbage. Debenhams, BT, Chapps.. One shirt in BT was nice but it was 140 quid. That was it. The options were surfer dude, 12yo boy or colour-blind.. Where the heck do you buy decent men's clothes in Limerick?

You had to buy that one from BT. Or just measure it and buy later online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Smart Casual - cant go wrong with BT for everything else I get American Eagle from people visiting states of order online, their clothes are great quality for the price!

If by chaps you mean Connollys then how do they differ from Noels, you can't really limp River Island in with Connollys when you make a generalisation like that. Sorry for being pedantic.

I'd see Chapps as the section of that shop selling the Jack and Jones, Superdry, G-Star Raw etc. Easily lumped in with the likes of River Island imo. Its exactly where I'd put them style wise. Budget not so much.
    Tony Conollys to me is for the older set in the other side of that shop. Never really saw them as the same thing and they seem to aim at the 50 plus age group.

Noels IMO offers something in the middle, same with Sextons but whatever you think yourself.Clothes are pretty personal, perceptions of shops are too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Maybe you should just look online. The problem with most high street shops, both men and womens, is that they tend to have pretty much the exact same stuff, just at varying prices.

Op, quite a good sale in bt at the moment. You should be able to get some very nice shirts for a lot less than 140.
    Tkmaxx can be hit and miss and like you I don't like the rummaging. I usually end up buying something I'll never wear as well because it seems like a bargain.
    Zara might be worth a look . Mego in the crescent do nice selected homme stuff as well. That's my taste though. You'll probably need to shop around to find what you like. What kind of shirts were you looking for?
    Yeah was in BT again, nothing apart from that same shirt :)
    Irish_rat wrote: »
    Where do folks buy decent shirts in town? Some of the tops in Debenhams are a fairly awful fit.
    Debenhams was full of utter ****e.
    Dunnes for jeans, Next for shirts. I can never understand whay anyone would pay the prices in places like Connollys or Noels.
    Usually get jeans in BT, levis etc don't fit me well. Had some horrific jeans from Pennys when I was a kid put me off for life.
    For Jeans I find quality pays, they last more longer, the material is excellent and you get a good fit. Levi's/Diesel/Jasper Conran/Jeff Banks are the ones I like.

Next do a few good jumpers/mock-shirts but don't expect long wear off them. Sextons have a few decent jumpers that may cost a bit but you get good wear out of.

Just make sure it's Italian Diesel and not the garbage Irish brand.
    AMB wrote: »
    You had to buy that one from BT. Or just measure it and buy later online.
    Didn't get it. Price put me off because I've gotten much better for much less. Maybe I need to start spending more on shirts! Regardless, the stuff in BT was pretty naff.
    I'd see Chapps as the section of that shop selling the Jack and Jones, Superdry, G-Star Raw etc. Easily lumped in with the likes of River Island imo. Its exactly where I'd put them style wise. Budget not so much.
    Tony Conollys to me is for the older set in the other side of that shop. Never really saw them as the same thing and they seem to aim at the 50 plus age group.

Noels IMO offers something in the middle, same with Sextons but whatever you think yourself.Clothes are pretty personal, perceptions of shops are too.
    Chapps were also full of crap. One shirt looked half decent but it was gstar and felt like it was made of plastic.

Basically I want to buy a shirt that doesn't make me look like a 30 year old teenager or surf dude. I suppose it gets a lot worse around summer.

I want a normal respectable smart shirt. Seems online is the best bet. Never ordered clothes online before as I like to try them on but I suppose shirts would be fine.

Can you provide a link to the type of shirt that you liked from BT, you seem hard to please:pac:

Completely agree with a few other posts about jeans, you pay for quality and good fit as well as style. And just a heads up, there are absolutely loads of Diesel (Italian) jeans in all styles and sizes at half price in the BT sale, that's between 65 and 80 euros which really is a bargain, expensive as it may seem if you are used to buying inferior jeans.

Can you provide a link to the type of shirt that you liked from BT, you seem hard to please:pac:

Completely agree with a few other posts about jeans, you pay for quality and good fit as well as style. And just a heads up, there are absolutely loads of Diesel (Italian) jeans in all styles and sizes at half price in the BT sale, that's between 65 and 80 euros which really is a bargain, expensive as it may seem if you are used to buying inferior jeans.
    That really is a bargain. I'll have a look. Usually pay 130 or more for jeans.

Can't find the exact shirt on their website. It was Hugo Boss new collection. I swear I'm not being fussy. Really is was shocking how gawdy and naff the stuff was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

+ 1 for Sextons and if you wnat something a bit different from them, try Camiche 7 on Patrick St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Don't get those two tone formal shirts, with the different colour cuffs and collar to the body, or the double collar ones you see in Camiche. Hideous.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Don't get those two tone formal shirts, with the different colour cuffs and collar to the body, or the double collar ones you see in Camiche. Hideous.

Yep they're bloody awful, Penguin shirts get a lot of good reviews on the F&A forum, is there anywhere in town that stock them?

• Advertisement

Yep they're bloody awful, Penguin shirts get a lot of good reviews on the F&A forum, is there anywhere in town that stock them?

Camden square in the crescent do some Penguin as do Noels and BT. You can't beat Hugo boss for a nice fitting shirt of any type but they're very expensive.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Shaws in the crescent have some nice (I think) shirts for men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Burtons can be ok but a lot of the shirts are 'fitted' so you my need to go up a size if beer gut is an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

cant believe its 2 pages in and no one has mentioned Penneys

This thread has shown once again how poorly Limerick is served by menswear aimed at the age group between 25 and 50 who actually would tend to be the biggest spenders. I cannot understand how the likes of Sextons, Leonards, O'Connells, Deignans, Noel Andrew's, etc can stay open when they don't really have much to offer the slightly younger crowd. The lads in Sexton's are sound but their clothes are quite dull, that Irish Diesel Brand seems their only attempt at dressing the younger crowd and frankly I don't like that stuff.
    Limerick BT Menswear is the poor relation of Irish BTs around the country, Connolly's could be much,much better, why are they so stuck on Hilfiger and superdry when they are available in a few other places in Limerick. Is it the shop or the punters that have no imagination?

A couple of years ago I was saying that if I had the money I'd set up a Japanese restaurant in Limerick, I was right on that, now I'd love to set up a men's shop, something like Genius in Dublin. It's obvious that it's badly needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Limerick has plenty of men's clothing options.....if you're a teenage wannabe scobe or a marginally obese middle aged man 😞

Buy most of my clothes and shoes either online or in TK Maxx...yes you need to spend a bit of time looking/rummaging but usually worth the effort imho

This thread has shown once again how poorly Limerick is served by menswear aimed at the age group between 25 and 50 who actually would tend to be the biggest spenders. I cannot understand how the likes of Sextons, Leonards, O'Connells, Deignans, Noel Andrew's, etc can stay open when they don't really have much to offer the slightly younger crowd. The lads in Sexton's are sound but their clothes are quite dull, that Irish Diesel Brand seems their only attempt at dressing the younger crowd and frankly I don't like that stuff.
    Limerick BT Menswear is the poor relation of Irish BTs around the country, Connolly's could be much,much better, why are they so stuck on Hilfiger and superdry when they are available in a few other places in Limerick. Is it the shop or the punters that have no imagination?

A couple of years ago I was saying that if I had the money I'd set up a Japanese restaurant in Limerick, I was right on that, now I'd love to set up a men's shop, something like Genius in Dublin. It's obvious that it's badly needed

Think you are being very negative there. Just one example is the men's section in BT galway is laughable. It's much smaller than the limerick one. And galway in general is ****e for men's clothes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

seachto7 wrote: »

Same - those are so tacky. I am a woman and would run a mile from a man wearing one. All my female friends feel the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I can't remember the last time I bought any clothes in Limerick, there really is nothing I would wear in any shop bar gstar jeans in chapps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Internet !

Advertisement