Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed - primula vialii seeding

Options
  • 19-06-2015 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I hope someone can help me out here. I have a primula Vialii plant that I would like to take seed from later in the year to germinate for next year, but despite spending ages googling it I can't seem to find any advice on this :confused: I seem to keep getting pulled back to business websites selling seed packets :cool:. Can anyone tell me the best way to obtain the seeds direct from the plant?

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

amos13 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I hope someone can help me out here. I have a primula Vialii plant that I would like to take seed from later in the year to germinate for next year, but despite spending ages googling it I can't seem to find any advice on this :confused: I seem to keep getting pulled back to business websites selling seed packets :cool:. Can anyone tell me the best way to obtain the seeds direct from the plant?

Thanks a million!

Just let them seed themselves, if the plant is happy it will do so without your intervention.
    According to this germination is erratic
    http://www.seedaholic.com/primula-vialii-poker-primrose.html

Otherwise, wait for it to go to seed, harvest them and follow the instructions in the link i provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭amos13

LurkerNo1 wrote:
    Otherwise, wait for it to go to seed, harvest them and follow the instructions in the link i provided.

Great stuff! Thanks for your swift answer. God I'm clearly awful at researching!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

The short-lived perennials thrive in moist, humus rich, well-drained soil with lots of leaf mold. In these conditions the plants will sometimes live longer.

Thats all you need to know, provide the right conditions and they will do it themselves, right plant right place.

Short lived perennials usuully survive by self seeding in ideal situations.

Advertisement