Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share AppleID or use different AppleIDs?

Options
  • 19-06-2015 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi I have just purchased a new iPhone (6)
    I have always used the same appleID as my husband's phone, but when i got a mac I set up my own ID for that.

Could anyone explain the advantages/disadvantages of having different IDs on the phones? not sure which ID to set up on my new phone now.

I find the apple website difficult to follow...would 'family sharing' be a good option?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mocathain

I would advise using a different Apple ID as FaceTime & iMessage is linked to your Apple ID.
    So if you use your husbands ID you could be getting your husbands messages & FaceTime calls.

Family Sharing is a good way to share purchases between Apple ID's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

+1 for separate IDs. The amount of troubleshooting posts I've seen that mention couples sharing IDs is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Before Family Sharing was available, it was useful to use the same AppleID for the iTunes/App store on the devices of different family members, but to use unique AppleIDs for iCloud (or previously MobileMe or .Mac), to avoid mixing contacts, calendars, and to avoid confusion on iMessage and Facetime.

Family Sharing gives more control for media and app purchasing (especially where children are involved, because simply sharing the AppleID without Family Sharing means that every users has the ability to fry the credit card of the AppleID), but it's still a good idea to keep iCloud accounts separate/unique to each user's device(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Zcott wrote: »
    +1 for separate IDs. The amount of troubleshooting posts I've seen that mention couples sharing IDs is huge.
    indeed

I've shared the same id with the wife for the past years, but only a couple of weeks ago went with separate accounts as it was beginning to get silly with messages and calls being re-directed to each phone and no way of figuring who was actually being rang.

family sharing allows all the positives of our previous arrangement with a shared ID but eliminates the negatives.
    I cannot think of a reason you'd want to share an id unless it was for apple cloud and avoid paying multiple cloud storage fees. (you need to pay a fee per apple ID for extra storage)

and even then, google have a stupendous image app/ service now (unlimited storage for free) that backs up photos off the phone/ laptop and anywhere else to a central cloud account - so for many eliminating the need to buy extra apple cloud storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

My wife and I have shared the same Apple ID for apps and seperate Apple ID's for iCloud.

We use our own iCloud one for everything besides the App Store.

Never had a problem. The problem with family sharing is that it's up to the developers to support it for their app.

• Advertisement
Advertisement