Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong information in shop

Options
  • 19-06-2015 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭

This might seem a little like a bitchy customer and its probably too late to do anything about it. And when you find out what it is about, you will probably laugh and tell me to get over it.

I went into to a shop and asked for a four euro euromillions lotto quick pick. To be told its not four euro, it's three euro. I wasn't asked if I wanted the lotto plus or not. Its just three euro. She must have thought I wanted one line with the plus. But I specifically asked for a four euro lotto quick pick and to be told its three euro. The four euro quick pick is two lines without the plus.

I didn't dispute it and tell her that in fact two lines is four euro. Surly all she had to do was press a few buttons on the machine. Or is it a case of actually inputting the euro amount and print ticket or inputting lotto with or without plus. Has anyone ever worked in a shop before?

I know its too late. And its only three euro and the probability of winning was slim. But to work in a customer facing role and selling lottery tickets every single day. They should know this.

Just looking at my ticket. It was printed at 19:04:56. I was in a chemist at 7pm at closing time. Followed by queueing up behind four people at an ATM machine. I was the fifth. And then I went into the shop and got a microwavable dinner in the shop and queued behind someone else and got my lottery ticket.

Could it be possible the lottery ticket was printed before I was at the counter?

I could have won something on the €4 ticket. Is it even worth making a fuss over.

Comments

You asked for Lotto and got Lotto. If you had wanted Lotto Plus, you should have asked for it. Many times the person would have to make an assumption, because the customer gives incorrect information.

Also I don't know what you expect to happen now. They can't do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

You asked for Lotto and got Lotto. If you had wanted Lotto Plus, you should have asked for it. Many times the person would have to make an assumption, because the customer gives incorrect information.

Also I don't know what you expect to happen now. They can't do anything about it.

I asked for a four euro quick pick. Was that not enough information for them.

Isn't that what you got?

Edit:
    Misread, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Obviously not.

Just stop shopping there if it irritates you that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Isn't there disclaimers all over every lotto machine / shop that says to check your ticket before you leave the shop?!?!

• Advertisement

Deagol wrote: »
    Isn't there disclaimers all over every lotto machine / shop that says to check your ticket before you leave the shop?!?!

Disclaimers all over every lotto ticket too. My point is that I asked for a four euro ticket to be told the minimum they sell is a three euro ticket. I wasn't asking for a three euro ticket but they insisted but sure its too late now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Yes, you should have got what you asked for, however despite immediately recognising her error you still accepted the €3 ticket. You could have clarified that what you wanted was a 2 line QP.
    If you want to do something about it then contact the management and let them know their staff don't seem to know the ticket structure, it may be a simple training issue.

PS: There's no point even contemplating what you could have won, it's a game of chance with no guarantee that any ticket would result in a prize.

I find it's easier to fill the card in myself, it avoids any confusion.

Yes I did accept the three euro ticket. I think that's enough of that. If it happens again, I will bring it to their attention but I'll leave it instead of being a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Ahhh you're not being a pain, it's a legitimate query. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Why didn't you ask for 2 lines without the plus?

If the microwave dinner was behind the counter would you ask for €4 with of a microwave dinner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I went into to a shop and asked for a four euro euromillions lotto quick pick. To be told its not four euro, it's three euro. I wasn't asked if I wanted the lotto plus or not. Its just three euro. She must have thought I wanted one line with the plus. But I specifically asked for a four euro lotto quick pick and to be told its three euro. The four euro quick pick is two lines without the plus.

Euromillions is one line with the plus for €3 and
    Lotto is 2 lines with plus for €4.

She obviously thought you meant euromillions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

No, unfortunately it wasn't.

To avoid confusion what you should be asking for is specifically what you want e.g. 4 lines of Lotto with the plus, 6 lines of Euromillions without the plus etc.
    Not getting at you BTW, it's common enough but too late to complain later.

Experienced shop staff probably know these things off by heart (regular amounts anyway..) and would have known what you meant but who's to say whether the girl is there 10 years or 10 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

re the time on the ticket YES it quite likely was already printed. Shops do this. When they print of a wrong ticket (IE one that the customer didn't ask for and points out said fact) the ticket is printed, they can't unprint it. So they put it next to the machine. When the next customer comes in looking for a quick pick ticket they check the already printed tickets first to see if they have one that the customer wants and give them that rather than printing another.

I have had the same communication problem happen to me, only I wasn't there. I sent the mammy to buy the ticket, she knew exactly what I was after. I don't know what way she said it to the girl and she didn't check the ticket. Instead of 2 lines no plus I got 1 line with plus.

So I make the mammy do it the same way I do now: can I get two lines without plus for tonights/tuesday's/friday's euromillions please. And ALWAYS check the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

OP its just a slight communication breakdown between you and the shop assistant.

The usual (most popular) sales are the €3 or €6 for the euromillions and the €4 and €6 for the Irish lotto.

If a person asks for a €4 ticket on a fri without giving any more information ie 2 lines no plus, it would be assumed that they want a basic quick pick and that they had got the amount mixed up with the Irish lotto basic quick.

You just need to be clearer when you want a ticket thats not one of the more popular tickets and you will get exactly what you need.

As for the fact that you could have won on the ticket that you wanted to buy well thats just tough luck, if you had picked up a big win on the ticket you actually got Id imagine that you wouldnt be giving out :)

Advertisement