Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Looks Different Depending what URL is used.

Options
  • 20-06-2015 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Straight off the bat, I don't have many details other than what's given here. My friends off the radar for a while.

A friend has a Blogspot blog and she got a domain from GoDaddy. The website will load slightly differently depending on what address is used.

The GoDaddy domain loads with small errors. The only one I know about is an image which is centred in the Blogspot will be displayed so that the right side of the image is actually off the screen and there is a greater left screen edge to left image edge gap. I've seen it happen on tablets. Not desktop.

You could cycle through between the two with thw forward and back buttons and see the difference clearly.

Normally I'd be armed with info (like the actual website). It seems so odd that there would be page rendering differences that its a known bug or something.

Any initial ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It sounds like an issue with how the domain is mapped to the blog
    By the sounds of things it hasn't been configured correctly and they're relying on some kind of forwarding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Blacknight wrote: »
    It sounds like an issue with how the domain is mapped to the blog
    By the sounds of things it hasn't been configured correctly and they're relying on some kind of forwarding

Great, thanks for the reply, especially without being able to see the website. I will follow this up when I can. It sounds plausible.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Off the top of my head another possibility depends upon what the two URL's look like. If one has the site in the root folder and the other has it in a sub-folder, it could be that various references are made in the HTML / CSS that use references to the root. This will cause discrepancies as the root is in a different location, relative to the site, in the two set-ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Off the top of my head another possibility depends upon what the two URL's look like. If one has the site in the root folder and the other has it in a sub-folder, it could be that various references are made in the HTML / CSS that use references to the root. This will cause discrepancies as the root is in a different location, relative to the site, in the two set-ups.

In general, that would be true.

But here I think that the two addresses are

www.mySite.blogspot.com
    and
    www.mySite.com (which was purchased thru GoDaddy)

And sites made with Blogger don't have stuff in the root folder in the same sort of way.

If the setup for the site was done properly (and GoDaddy do have a wizard for this), then they two should look the same, because the Blogspot site should auto-forward to the custom domain.

My guess would be that there is a problem with the setup somewhere.

But more details are needed in order to diagnose it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

It could be something as simple as GoDaddy using some kind of nasty iframe to"forward" the site instead of using DNS.

Again it's difficult to know for sure when we don't have actual addresses. Any advice given here is just guesswork.

• Advertisement
Advertisement