Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions Regarding B.Sc. in Computer Applications

• 20-06-2015 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello,

I've been lurking the boards here about DCU, in particular the Computer Applications threads and wanted to ask a few questions. I tried pm'ing one of the frequent users who volunteered to answer any questions but I have never had an account here and need at least 25 posts to be able to pm, so instead I'll ask the greater public.

I will be starting 6th Year in September and am spending my Summer researching different IT's, Universities etc. trying to find the right place for me. DCU's Computer Applications seems to be the best option for me so far. I just wanted to know if my expectations for this course is correct.

As I understand the course is mostly about computer programming, which includes software and game dev. As a career, I am aiming to be developing games and my key role would be a programmer. I realize that the majority of the course is not gaming related, but it's a good start. It would be more software based if I'm not mistaken which is what I aim to do after College for a company while I simultaneously develop games as a start up indie company. Is my understanding of the course mostly correct?

I also have a few questions.

-What else besides programming does the course involve?

-I read that it is very difficult and that there is a 50% drop-out rate. Is that true? While I understand that programming is difficult and needs a lot of dedication it is something that I am very interested in and have tried before but was unable to continue due to lack of free time. Is the maths required for this course Higher Level standard? I have been doing Higher Level for 5 years and will be dropping to OL for my LC. Mainly because I started to struggle in 5th Year HL Maths and am afraid of failing it for my LC. I am sure that in my LC in OL I will get around C1, maybe even a B. Is that enough?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Drezden

I'm going into 2nd year of this course.

Programming is very manageable if you put in the work. You get started in computer programming 1 with robot world which is a basic introduction to the rudimentary elements of programming. You'll then work on Java and you'll have plenty of labs and assignments which will get you up to speed. Honestly I feel like it's fairly difficult to FAIL this module, you are given bonus marks for so many things like early submissions of assignments, that there's no real excuse for failing it. In programming 2, the standard is upped a bit so you would need focus on this and work in your own time on the concepts covered in lectures. Here's the website for programming 1: http://polya.computing.dcu.ie/ca165/index.html

The maths is do-able but if you're doing ordinary level and you don't put in the hours you will struggle. It's mostly the same level of stuff as higher level, but I get the impression that some of our questions aren't as difficult. I got a B3 in ordinary level for Maths and should be looking at around 70 for my overall maths grade. I put in a lot of work before I came into the course to compensate for only doing ordinary level. Put in the hours and don't leave it until the last weeks before exams and you should manage with the maths just fine.

I'm nearly sure there's a requirement of at least a B3 at ordinary level for entry to this course though.

I don't think a load dropped out so far this year. Jameszzyboyoo was our rep last year and will probably see this thread soon enough. He'll give you the exact figure of how many dropped out.

Networking in second semester was fairly poor and Operating Systems ended up being an absolute doss. As I said before, if you put in the hours for each module and keep on top of the assignments, you should be grand.

It's an enjoyable course so far for the most part. I'm looking forward to second year and learning some more programming concepts, like data structures and some more languages like assembly and C++.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Vilas

Thanks for your reply Drezden.

I'm definitely prepared to put in the work, since computers is something that I am extremely interested in. That won't be a problem. The requirement to get into the course is a C3 in OL or D3 in HL + 400 points. I'll definitely manage that.

Cheers mate.

• Company Representative Posts: 31 Verified rep DCU Student Help

Vilas,

Good morning! Your question seems to be answered comprehensively by Drezden! So hope you got some more information that you were looking for?

If you need more information we have a live Q&A information session this tomorrow (Tuesday) if you need to ask any further questions to our DCU staff directly. You are more than welcome to log on.

It wont let me post the link directly here but if you log on to our website you will find more information on our home page..

Regards,
    Jonny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Drezden

Vilas wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Drezden.

I'm definitely prepared to put in the work, since computers is something that I am extremely interested in. That won't be a problem. The requirement to get into the course is a C3 in OL or D3 in HL + 400 points. I'll definitely manage that.

Cheers mate.

No problem Vilas. Good luck with your leaving cert results. There's a small chance I might be your tutor next year for programming. I'm applying for one of the positions whenever the application process begins over the summer, fairly sure I'll get it, considering my results.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Vilas

Drezden wrote: »
    No problem Vilas. Good luck with your leaving cert results. There's a small chance I might be your tutor next year for programming. I'm applying for one of the positions whenever the application process begins over the summer, fairly sure I'll get it, considering my results.

By next year do you mean September 2016? That's when I'll be joining. I'm only going to be doing 6th year this September. Good luck with the application anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement