Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

You really are raisin your game this year!

They're trying to stay currant...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Specially Selected Lockerbie Cheddar Oatcake Bites for €1.49 are absolutely gorgeous.

Just had one on its' own; really cheesy and a gorgeous texture. They're moreish though!
    I reckon they'd make perfect nibbles to go with a beer or a glass of wine, perhaps with a cheeseboard?

I'm going to stock up for Christmas, I think, before they run out.
    They also have Fiery Chilli ones too, which I'm gonna pick up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

fussyonion wrote: »
    The Specially Selected Lockerbie Cheddar Oatcake Bites for €1.49 are absolutely gorgeous.

Just had one on its' own; really cheesy and a gorgeous texture. They're moreish though!
    I reckon they'd make perfect nibbles to go with a beer or a glass of wine, perhaps with a cheeseboard?

I'm going to stock up for Christmas, I think, before they run out.
    They also have Fiery Chilli ones too, which I'm gonna pick up.

Seconded on the cheese ones. Haven't tried the other flavours but the cheese ones are delicious. They are tiny though, like the picture on the box is actual size :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

ellejay wrote: »
    I'd to make 3 Christmas Cakes this year so I priced the dried fruit in Aldi, Lidl and Tesco.
    You might be interested to know that Tesco came in cheapest @ .89 for their raisins in the everyday range. They were sold of Sultanas the evening I went and wasn't gong back to Aldi. The next price bracket was 1.29.

Unfortunately I've thrown out my Shopping List now, but out of interest, how much did Aldi charge you.

Pretty sure Tesco ran out last year as well. I need them for my porridge!!!!
    You really are raisin your game this year!

Markcheese wrote: »
    They're trying to stay currant...

Get out, the pair of ya!! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I bought an Appleby's slow cooked pork fillet in a box (same brand as the ribs) last week to try. We had it tonight and it was delicious, I'll definitely buy it again.

• Advertisement

Salmon fishcakes I had this week were not as nice as they usually are. Very little salmon in them, hoping it's a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

I bought an Appleby's slow cooked pork fillet in a box (same brand as the ribs) last week to try. We had it tonight and it was delicious, I'll definitely buy it again.

Delighted to hear this. Picked one up last night and was hoping it would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Salmon fishcakes I had this week were not as nice as they usually are. Very little salmon in them, hoping it's a one off.
    Strange ... I bought some on Thursday and had them the same night, and we both commented on how much fish was in them!

Were they the 'simple' ones with the blue label, or the 'fancy' Specially Selected ones with the black label, because if the latter, I've always found them quite disappointing regarding fish content.

Alun wrote: »
    Strange ... I bought some on Thursday and had them the same night, and we both commented on how much fish was in them!

Were they the 'simple' ones with the blue label, or the 'fancy' Specially Selected ones with the black label, because if the latter, I've always found them quite disappointing regarding fish content.

Specially Selected Salmon and Lemon. I've bought them loads of time and have sung their praises in here and few times. Usually rammed full of salmon but there were mostly potato. Hopefully just a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Went to Aldi today and was delighted to see the Christmas range in store. They had my favourite crackers - the Exquisite range walnut date and fig ones. Put three packs in my trolley and then realised they were charging a whopping €6.99 per 150g pack. They were approx €2.50 or €3.00 last year. Thinking it was an error I checked with one of the staff and she advised that the price is correct. Much and all as I love them they went back on the shelf 😩

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not sure if mentioned in this thread yet, but their €49.99 26 yr old Irish whiskey is getting great press.

Apparently a bargain. If you can find any left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Icsics

Am a convert to Aldi candles & diffusers....no1 & 2 are devine & dupes of a very expensive brand in BTs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Went to Aldi today and was delighted to see the Christmas range in store. They had my favourite crackers - the Exquisite range walnut date and fig ones. Put three packs in my trolley and then realised they were charging a whopping €6.99 per 150g pack. They were approx €2.50 or €3.00 last year. Thinking it was an error I checked with one of the staff and she advised that the price is correct. Much and all as I love them they went back on the shelf 😩

https://www.aldi.co.uk/exquisite-crackers/p/072091188139102 :eek::eek:

Must be a mistake surely, maybe it was an error from head office/centrally and might be rectified!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

https://www.aldi.co.uk/exquisite-crackers/p/072091188139102 :eek::eek:

Must be a mistake surely, maybe it was an error from head office/centrally and might be rectified!

That’s exactly what I thought. I’ll raise it next time I’m there if they’re still marked the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Cork Lass wrote: »
    That’s exactly what I thought. I’ll raise it next time I’m there if they’re still marked the same.

That's a UK price marked!!

Still, seems like an error!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

prodsc wrote: »
    That's a UK price marked!!

Still, seems like an error!

I know, but normally the price is 1.5x at maximum so it's a good guide.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The stollen is in this week! Up to last week they only had the mini bites or the small stollen, but this week they have the large ones. I bought two because they tend to sell out long before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I'm not a big chocolate/snack fan but I can't believe how good the Choceur Rum Raisin & Nut Bar is. It's got so much rum in it I'm reluctant to share with my kids!!

aldi-choceur-rum-raisin-hazelnut1508414790.jpg

Bought the Chocueu Rum rasian Hazelnut because of the rave reviews its getting on this thread. Yuk !! very disappointed ...chocolate and fruit flavour are completely over-powered by some kind of nasty industrial alcohol (its definitely NOT rum).

In fact their Dairtyfine Fruit & Nut bar (no alcohol) was much nicer (and 20 or 30 cent cheaper)

A couple of other things that disappointed ...

The Fruit & Fibre cereal is horrible. Not that much fruit and the cereal flakes have the same taste as cardboard. Back to the Kellogs stuff for me. The Kavanaghs porridge is very nice though !

Cucina Red Pesto sauce .... I don't know how to describe it, I am going to use the word "Malacious"... cause if I had to finish it I think I would have been poisoned to death. Do yourself a a flavour (sic) and stock up on Tesco own brand Red Pesto...gorgeous.

The stollen is in this week! Up to last week they only had the mini bites or the small stollen, but this week they have the large ones. I bought two because they tend to sell out long before Christmas.

They've had the big ones in for a couple of weeks in our branch here in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I think there are a few Bray Aldi customers here like Alun and myself, I was chatting to the manager today and I asked him if Bray was ever going to get a bakery and he said their Aldi is one of the smallest layouts possible so he's not sure if it will ever happen and if it does they'll probably be one of the last in the country to get an upgrade.

• Advertisement

^ Do any of the Aldi's have a bakery? I've never seen one. It's the one thing I think they really lack.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres one in Cork at the minute but they're getting rolled out, Blackrock will have one soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Aldi, Dublin Rd, Limerick is apparently the second busiest one in the country. I'm really surprised they don't have a bakery.
    Childers Rd in Limerick got a makeover this year and lots of people were surprised that a bakery didn't go in, especially since Lidl is about 5 minutes away and has one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Did you go for the one in the blue packet or the Specially Selected one Dizzy? I bought both because my baby brain won't let me remember which one I preferred last year :o

I bought the one in the blue and white packet, Holly Lane is the brand and that's the one I got last year too. They didn't have any other one in the Swords branch.

Thargor wrote: »
    I think there are a few Bray Aldi customers here like Alun and myself, I was chatting to the manager today and I asked him if Bray was ever going to get a bakery and he said their Aldi is one of the smallest layouts possible so he's not sure if it will ever happen and if it does they'll probably be one of the last in the country to get an upgrade.
    Yes, unfortuneately I don't think they have enough room on that site to expand without losing too much parking space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Aldi, Dublin Rd, Limerick is apparently the second busiest one in the country.

Out of interest, does anyone know which store is the busiest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

nc6000 wrote: »
    Out of interest, does anyone know which store is the busiest?

Coolock apparently. This is according to my friend who's a manager in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

vicwatson wrote: »
    Tut tut Aldi, that wonderful cheddar and chive cheese has gone off my shopping list, it used to be €1.39, went missing from their shops for about the last month, back in stock now at €1.69, 30c dearer :eek:

Exact same cheese in Tesco is €1.43

ALDI, we’re watching ;)

This is back in Aldi and back at original price of €1.39

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

Oooh these sound very much like they might be the same as the pricey Pulsin ones? Must compare the nutritional info on the ones in Aldi to try and work it out!

http://www.pulsin.co.uk/peanut-choc-chip-raw-choc-brownie.html

They are unbelievably gorgeous. I'm going to have to stop buying them.

I suspect they are the same as the Pulsin ones. Aldi stocked the Pulsin ones very briefly about a year ago.

Advertisement