Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Thargor wrote: »
    Theres one in Cork at the minute but they're getting rolled out, Blackrock will have one soon.

That’s the one in Wilton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Went to Aldi today and was delighted to see the Christmas range in store. They had my favourite crackers - the Exquisite range walnut date and fig ones. Put three packs in my trolley and then realised they were charging a whopping €6.99 per 150g pack. They were approx €2.50 or €3.00 last year. Thinking it was an error I checked with one of the staff and she advised that the price is correct. Much and all as I love them they went back on the shelf 😩

6.99 in my store as well. That can't be correct.
    Didn't seem to be selling very well either.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭manualskeleton

Bought the Chocueu Rum rasian Hazelnut because of the rave reviews its getting on this thread. Yuk !! very disappointed ...chocolate and fruit flavour are completely over-powered by some kind of nasty industrial alcohol (its definitely NOT rum).

In fact their Dairtyfine Fruit & Nut bar (no alcohol) was much nicer (and 20 or 30 cent cheaper)

A couple of other things that disappointed ...

The Fruit & Fibre cereal is horrible. Not that much fruit and the cereal flakes have the same taste as cardboard. Back to the Kellogs stuff for me. The Kavanaghs porridge is very nice though !

Agree with these, I don't get the good reviews for the rum version and loved the fruit and nut one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

Must be a mistake, they are only £1.99 in the UK. I can't find them on the Irish one.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/exquisite-crackers/p/072091188139102

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

I'm a nosy fecker so I just rang aldi customer service and asked about this - he said that they are (I think, line wasn't great) 2.99 euro in his system, so if the shelf label is definitely saying 6.99 to tell management, and maybe to bring one up to the till and see what they scan as.

If it's a misprint on the label, I'd say Aldi would want it changed as fast as possible; no-one's going to buy a box of crackers at that price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Agree with these, I don't get the good reviews for the rum version and loved the fruit and nut one.

Aldi confirmed that the fruit and nut one is discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Bought the turkey sausages at the wknd. Went to put them into the freezer last night, but when I checked the storage instructions, they said not suitable for freezing. I am assuming this means they have been already frozen??

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Got the byranani int the fridge with all the lunch stuff for the OH. He took it to work for lunch and said it was delish and a nice bit of heat to it. Definitely will get it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭54and56

I hope this hasn't already been discussed but does anyone know what's happened to the Aldi 4 and 6 blade shaving systems? They had a 3 blade system for years and earlier this year introduced a razor which worked with their new 4 and 6 blade cartridges and they also kept selling the 3 blade cartridges from the old system which only worked with the older razor.

For the past few weeks I've been unable to buy either the 4 or 6 blade cartridges in my local Aldi (Sandyford) nor have the 4/6 blade compatible razors been available as I was on the lookout for a 2nd one to use when travelling.

Once again this evening the only blades available were the old 3 blade cartridges so I asked one of the staff when they were expecting to get the 4/6 blade cartridges back in as they have been out of stock for a number of weeks and I was told they are totally discontinuing the 4/6 blade cartridges and also discontinuing the older 3 blade cartridges as well.

I know Aldi (or any supermarket) have the right to decide what products to carry and can discontinue any products they like but they only introduced the new 4/6 blade system a few months ago (IIRC) and you had to buy a compatible razor to use them so the implication (at least in my head anyway) was that if you invested in the razor they would make the blades available for a decent period of time, more than a few months anyway.

I love almost all things Aldi (except some of their fresh fruit) and sing their praises most of the time but the removal of the 4/6 blade shaving system so soon after introduction is really pi$$ing me off. It was/is a really good product and the equivalent of the horrendously expensive Gillette and Wilkinson Sword products.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

I feel ya, Je_Suis_Jean.

Just back from my local Aldi this evening and it seems like they discontinued only like my favourite treat ever!!!

I think some of you might have mentioned a while back on here about those little Dairyfine peanut butter chocolates?
    They're called Dome, I think.

So, I know Aldi usually only have them very sporadically and they tend to fly off the shelves but I couldn't find any tonight and when I took a closer look at the tag just outside the box, it said "discon" right next to it.

They were fairly newish product also, and for that price, tasted absolutely divine (for a PB addict like myself, hah).
    So I hope I'm wrong but... Seems Aldi are starting to do this with lots of products now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,100 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

How do the razor blades taste?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Bloody delicious

I feel ya, Je_Suis_Jean.

Just back from my local Aldi this evening and it seems like they discontinued only like my favourite treat ever!!!

I think some of you might have mentioned a while back on here about those little Dairyfine peanut butter chocolates?
    They're called Dome, I think.

So, I know Aldi usually only have them very sporadically and they tend to fly off the shelves but I couldn't find any tonight and when I took a closer look at the tag just outside the box, it said "discon" right next to it.

They were fairly newish product also, and for that price, tasted absolutely divine (for a PB addict like myself, hah).
    So I hope I'm wrong but... Seems Aldi are starting to do this with lots of products now...

Aww really liked them aswell. I have half a packet left.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Marje wrote: »
    Can't believe the saturated fat content. Probably the coconut cream as someone else mentioned.

oj0306.jpg
    fin12 wrote: »
    That’s the one in Wilton?
    Yep.

EDIT: No idea where that saturated fat post came from!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭54and56

Depends on whether the shaving cream you use is flavored or not. Can't believe you couldn't figure that out all by yourself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

B0jangles wrote: »
    I'm a nosy fecker so I just rang aldi customer service and asked about this - he said that they are (I think, line wasn't great) 2.99 euro in his system, so if the shelf label is definitely saying 6.99 to tell management, and maybe to bring one up to the till and see what they scan as.

If it's a misprint on the label, I'd say Aldi would want it changed as fast as possible; no-one's going to buy a box of crackers at that price!

They now have a red price label in my local Aldi €2.99 reduced from €6.99.

fin12 wrote:
    Aww really liked them aswell. I have half a packet left.

I have none left!!!
    That will serve me right for being greedy, hah!

Shame though, honestly.

I have none left!!!
    That will serve me right for being greedy, hah!

Shame though, honestly.

They seem to have only come in around October because I remember seeing them advertised in a brochure and had other Halloween stuff for sale.

fin12 wrote:
    They seem to have only come in around October because I remember seeing them advertised in a brochure and had other Halloween stuff for sale.

Oh, really?
    I had no idea they were only seasonal!

You know because they still seem to have milk chocolate and salted caramel ones.

Oh, really?
    I had no idea they were only seasonal!

You know because they still seem to have milk chocolate and salted caramel ones.

No I don’t think they are seasonal, they just seem to have only come into the store recently which is strange why they have discontinued them so quick. I have a bar of the discontinued fruit and nut aswell. Do u remember the dome peanut being in the shop before October?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

The standard "Holly Lane" Christmas pudding is very nice (if you like classic christmas puds). We got the 2.99, 1 lb one to try out, since no-one felt like spending hours boiling puddings this year, and it's rich and fruity, with a distinct tang of orange zest.

We were going to get the fancier one with the gold dust and orange slices all around it, but I looked up a few reviews and the Holly Lane was highly rated in a blind taste test.

fin12 wrote:
    No I don’t think they are seasonal, they just seem to have only come into the store recently which is strange why they have discontinued them so quick. I have a bar of the discontinued fruit and nut aswell. Do u remember the dome peanut being in the shop before October?

No, you're definitely right.

I've only been buying them for few weeks.
    I remember I tried them once and since then kept going back getting few pouches each time I popped into Aldi.

Ah, what am I going to do with myself now?!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Tried the hash browns. Fab fab fab. Found them in the freezer section.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

Maris Piper Chunky chips are fab

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

Seconded on the cheese ones. Haven't tried the other flavours but the cheese ones are delicious. They are tiny though, like the picture on the box is actual size :)

They are just gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Tried the hash browns. Fab fab fab. Found them in the freezer section.

They seem to be out of stock now for a good few weeks (wondering if its to make way for Christmas stock?)

Anyway, looks like they have changed supplier for their fajita kits. They were good previously but now they're delicious. On par if not better than the much more expensive old elpaso competitor.

Spice mix is carrying a nice punch to it. Tortillas seem to be thinner , much more authentic corn tortillas, and the salsa is chunkier and delicious.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Noticed some new bits in the freezers today. Steak and Merlot pies, brie and something nut roast,and a few others. They're the Specially Selected range and say they're new on them. Based purely on the boxes they look delicious, anyone tried them? Couldn't buy any today as I wasn't coming straight home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Noticed some new bits in the freezers today. Steak and Merlot pies, brie and something nut roast,and a few others. They're the Specially Selected range and say they're new on them. Based purely on the boxes they look delicious, anyone tried them? Couldn't buy any today as I wasn't coming straight home.

I got the chicken and pancetta pie last week. It was okay, but I think the fresh chicken en croute is much nicer. They were around last year, then disappeared for a while and just seem to be back again in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Had the steak and merlot pies last week and they were quite nice. As the poster above said they were around last year and disappeared suddenly, only to reappear in the last week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Aldi never ceases to surprise me ... They had purple sweet potatoes in today! Bought some on impulse, and now have to figure out what to do with them. I think they'd be nice as sweet potato chips, but am open to suggestions.

Advertisement