Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Alun wrote: »
    Aldi never ceases to surprise me ... They had purple sweet potatoes in today! Bought some on impulse, and now have to figure out what to do with them. I think they'd be nice as sweet potato chips, but am open to suggestions.

I was looking at them yesterday, had them in my trolley but in the end decided I would look up recipes before buying.
    Apparently purple foods are ridiculously good for you so even if you can't find a recipe just eat them raw and extend your life a bit :)

P.S. I think they are used in sweet dishes a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I was looking at them yesterday, had them in my trolley but in the end decided I would look up recipes before buying.
    Apparently purple foods are ridiculously good for you so even if you can't find a recipe just eat them raw and extend your life a bit :)

P.S. I think they are used in sweet dishes a lot.
    I had sweet potato pie in the US last week. Thursday was pie day in the office, also blueberry, pumpkin & pecan.i have applied for a transfer,all we get here is a bit of fruit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Aldi never ceases to surprise me ... They had purple sweet potatoes in today! Bought some on impulse, and now have to figure out what to do with them. I think they'd be nice as sweet potato chips, but am open to suggestions.
    I got a pack last week and just mashed them , the kids taught it was well weird having purple spuds and a bit of a novelty but they cleared the plate so a big hit here and I have been reminded to get some more this week.
    I recon they would be nice roasted with some other veg cooked in goose fat or the likes..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm doing some chips/wedges in the oven right now, so will report back. Have two more left over from the pack so might try either baking them or have some purple mash later in the week.

Well, the purple chips were great. Different to the normal sweet potato ones, but can't quite put my finger on how exactly, maybe a little less sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

sweet potato soup is nice too. Cheap way of making a batch of it.

sweet potato soup is nice too. Cheap way of making a batch of it.
    I didn't actually look to see how much they were, but I'd be pretty sure they were more expensive than the normal orange ones. If making soup I'd use the cheaper alternative I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I didn't actually look to see how much they were, but I'd be pretty sure they were more expensive than the normal orange ones. If making soup I'd use the cheaper alternative I think.

Sorry, quite right. I saw all the chat about them and lazily assumed they were on special.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Aldi are selling a tray of boned and marinated chicken thighs that are a absolutely delicious.

I had the piri piri pack for dinner there along with some Mexican style rice and corn on the cob.

Fairly handy to cook. Just stick them in the oven for 15m then pour over sachet of piri piri sauce that comes with them. Then stick back in the oven for another 5 m.

Really juicy and really flavoursome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Aldi are selling a tray of boned and marinated chicken thighs that are a absolutely delicious.

I had the piri piri pack for dinner there along with some Mexican style rice and corn on the cob.

Fairly handy to cook. Just stick them in the oven for 15m then pour over sachet of piri piri sauce that comes with them. Then stick back in the oven for another 5 m.

This is Ireland, most people wouldn't dream of eating the nicest, most flavoursome part of the chicken!
    I'll keep an eye out them for myself tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

.red. wrote: »
    This is Ireland, most people wouldn't dream of eating the nicest, most flavoursome part of the chicken!

I wouldn't enjoy the chicken / turkey breast as much as the dark meat either.
    It's far tastier imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

How much are they

km79 wrote: »
    How much are they

Can't remember tbh.

I was doing a trolley dash earlier, they just got lobbed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I was shopping in a different aldi lately and they had really nice lamb burgers. They don't seem to have any in my local.

Also any idea why Aldi are selling shaving blades but aren't selling the shaving handle? Tried 2 stores but no luck.

How are people finding their prices. Did a big shop today including toiletries and it came to €160! No beer or wine in that but we do buy some of the selected products that are dearer/better quality. Nappies, berries and formula must be about €40 of our shop.

.red. wrote: »

Thighs are pretty much the only chicken I buy these days. I did buy some chicken breasts there a week back that were part boned, and man oh man they were good too (to be fair) buy he really have been finding chicken fillets dry and bland of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do you have to do anything with these thighs before or after you cook or can you just eat them off the bone like a drumstick?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Thargor wrote: »
    Do you have to do anything with these thighs before or after you cook or can you just eat them off the bone like a drumstick?

Did he not say they were boned? I must try them out, am definitely a leg & thigh person where chicken is concerned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Thargor wrote:

They're boned.

Already boned, and they come in a foil tray, so literally take the plastic film off, stick in oven, eat.

Sincerely hope they're a permanent addition.

Didn't even get to see if there was other options, I seen piri piri, and I like spicy food.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have changed from wings to thighs, but with the bone still in. I saw you posting in the airfryer thread, thighs come out brilliant in the airfryer. The airfryer renders down the fat really well, they are not as fiddly as wings and there is a decent size bone to hold, and decent bit of meat on them.

Deboned thighs often cost a lot per kilo, often more than chicken fillets. Also marinated chicken can cost a lot more too, even though a bottle of similar marinate can cost less per kg than chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭SteM

Bought a few bottles of "Maisels Weisse" beer today (Kristall) and am very impressed.

Seems to be a very good spurious version of the much more expensive Erdinger Kristall.

Big thumbs up from me. Excellent beer.

Are they still doing this beer does anyone know? Haven't seen it in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

these are €3.99 for 500g and 80% was chicken (20% sauce).

There were several packs, one was some sort of cheese but with chicken breasts rather than thighs.

1.9kg chicken was €4 on offer, tesco also have 2kg chickens for €4 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

SteM wrote: »
    Are they still doing this beer does anyone know? Haven't seen it in a while.

No it was just a special.

Disappointingly they are really cutting back on their craft beer selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭SteM

Ryath wrote: »
    No it was just a special.

Disappointingly they are really cutting back on their craft beer selection.

Cheers, that's a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭kooga

disappointing to see that the 4 pack of ridge valley tonic water is no longer available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

kooga wrote: »
    disappointing to see that the 4 pack of ridge valley tonic water is no longer available

Yes, ist was pretty good. Last year they had it in the run-up to Christmas and then discontinued it only to bring it back permanently. Can't understand why they don't sell it now, especially as they have extended their Gin offering for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'd like to stock up a few shorts for guests over the Christmas/new year period. What do you guys suggest from Aldi?

Also best beer for your average drinker? I know some crafts beers taste quite strong, so I'd like to have a couple of bottle of something that will appeal across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,738 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Whispered wrote: »
    I'd like to stock up a few shorts for guests over the Christmas/new year period. What do you guys suggest from Aldi?

The Clontarf Irish Whiskey and Highland Black 8 year old Scotch whisky would be good for anyone who drinks whisk(e)y with mixers or in cocktails:
    https://www.aldi.ie/highland-black-8-year-scotch-whisky/p/003319193657301

I've not been impressed with their rum selections.
    Their Irish gins get good reviews though, but I'm not a gin drinker.

And if you have a serious whiskey drinker visiting, I am sure they'd appreciate this, if your budget stretches to 50 euros and you can find a bottle:
    https://www.aldi.ie/26-year-old-single-malt-whiskey/p/078781187037100
    Also best beer for your average drinker? I know some crafts beers taste quite strong, so I'd like to have a couple of bottle of something that will appeal across the board.

Not technically craft beer but for something different - Spaten, if they still have it, is a very drinkable German style lager.
    And the O'Sheas red is nice too.
    The Sainte Etienne would be reminiscent of Stella Artois, to me at least.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

NOT keen on Aldi prosecco at all. Like a bottle of sugary water I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

NOT keen on Aldi prosecco at all. Like a bottle of sugary water I thought.

Which one?cos there are a few. Dud you try the organic one?

Advertisement